By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I think we should respect all religions (people might not know their friend is devoted to muslim or Chrisitanity etc)

OneTime said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

Morbidly enough there is some really old documentation about roman soldiers complaining that they cannot kill any more christians. They just came up to the soldiers with the request to be killed. Such crazy strong convictions are seldom now. But that is a good thing in my book. I'd rather take the hypocrites than the ones devaluing life on earth.

The Romans believed in Law and Order.  They were not in the habit of killing Christians without cause (or indeed the Jews or Egyptians in the areas that they had occupied).  So the story sounds like standard Church propaganda.  The point is the same: very few people actually believe in God, but many are very vocal in pretending that they do...

Could be, never checked myself. But I got the story from my very knowledgable and very secular latin prof at university.

And it is not really a good look for the church anyways when the story is: christians wanna be killed but roman soldiers feel too bad about it.

Around the Network
JuliusHackebeil said:
OneTime said:

The Romans believed in Law and Order.  They were not in the habit of killing Christians without cause (or indeed the Jews or Egyptians in the areas that they had occupied).  So the story sounds like standard Church propaganda.  The point is the same: very few people actually believe in God, but many are very vocal in pretending that they do...

Could be, never checked myself. But I got the story from my very knowledgable and very secular latin prof at university.

And it is not really a good look for the church anyways when the story is: christians wanna be killed but roman soldiers feel too bad about it.

I'm not disagreeing that such a document exists (I've heard of similar things as well - just in Religious Education class)... just why these things come up in literature is probably not coincidental to the politics behind what gets retained and destroyed in history.

Just remember:  Christians believe that I should suffer burning for eternity because I don't believe Jesus is the Son of God.  Muslims think basically the same thing but because I don't believe in a particular Prophet.

They'll lie and say "we don't really think that", but it says it very clearly in the Bible and Koran...  And they have made no effort of updating it to avoid the "misinterpretation" (LOL) of the scripture.

So... Yes.  Why should I respect these people?

JuliusHackebeil said:
Eagle367 said:

Way to not read what I said at all. First of all, just learn what sharia is seriously.  I wrote it out for you. It's misunderstood so damn much. It's not a damn legal framework, it's a personal moral code. The legal framework is fiqh and it's a whole damn thing all on its own. And I said Muslims in the US are less radical than Christians in the US. Read what I wrote. And yes data shows that Muslims in the US are more progressive than Christians in the US. A problem of interpretation means that there are some harmful interpretations. That's it. Did you not read the part about reactionary elements? I talked about wahabism? Did you not read what I wrote at all and just commented based on some buzz words you saw and plucked out and then some skimming around those buzz words? Seriously read what I wrote and then discuss it.

If you want specific problems related to Islam, talk to an expert in Islamic studies. There are schools of Islamic studies all across the world. You are far too ignorant of Islam to comment about problems specific to Islam. You misunderstand the basic terms as is like Sharia.

There seems to be a funny misunderstanding.
You think I don't get Islam. But it actually is the quite reputable pew research center that just does not get it. It is their numbers I provided, not my personal ideas about Islam. I wish pew research center would finaly listen to you about how sharia is just a personal moral code and not a legal framework. Because if they did, they could also tell the tens of thousands of muslims they polled for their survey. They could tell them that Eagle367 has the one truth for Islam hidden away here at vgchartz. They could tell all those people from Afghanistan, Iraq, Malysia, Djibouti, Palestinia, etc. that more than 80 % of the muslims who live there should read your comment and finaly get that they should not want sharia as the law of the land, because it is just a personal moral code.
But until they do I suppose we have to grapple with the reality of the situation. And that situation is that hundreds of millions of muslims around the world want Islam to be the basis and deciding factor of their legal system (I even did not write the word "sharia" this time, I hope that helps). I think it is a weak argument to just say that people like that (the big majority of the countries I listed) have it wrong. They are in fact a big part of the global muslim community. And they should be treated that way. Their beliefs should be taken into account when talking about Islam. So I take them into account. But you don't seem to. You seem to close your eyes to the fact that hundreds of millions of muslims around the world want Islam to be the basis and deciding factor of their legal system. But this is what is going on. What do you do with this very simple fact? Write another comment that is just deflection? Because I really wonder who is not reading whos comments here.

88 % of Malyan muslims say they want religious judges to decide family and property disputes.
81 % of Afghani muslims say they favor corporal punishment for crimes such as theft
89 % of Pakistani muslims want stoning as a punishment for adultery
86 % of Egyptian muslims want the death penalty for apostasy.

This time I even bothered to provide a link: https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/#_ftnref6

This is not a problem of some harmful interpretations (as you wrote in your comment that I have read). This is mainline thinking in many different Islam-dominated countries around the world.

And sure, these countries are poor and have bad infrastructure, bad education, high crime rate, etc. This seems to also be one of your points: "The bad things happening in a country stem from it's poor state, not from there being Islam." -But how is it that so many Christianity-dominated South-American countries do not live in the stone age where they favor corporal punishment for theft, want stoning for adultery, want religious judges to decide family and property disputes, and want the death penalty for leaving Christianity? These are dirt poor countries with high crime and many problems of their own. But there seems to be a unique set of problems just stemming from Islam as well, no?

Ok now we have entered bad faith territory and I can't proceed further with this. Also some reactionary bs as well. Why were Christians of the 11the century so regressive meanwhile the most progressive people of the time lived in the middle east? And you think south America hasn't had its share of bad positions and politics?  And you do know pew just does polls right? It doesn't ask for definitions and clarifications. It just asks a question from people and the people answer. Pew fir example asks "are you liberal or conservative", it doesn't define what those terms are. So the answers are based on personal bias. So to that effect, people just respond in what they perceive about the terms themselves. The only questions asked are "how closely does your country follow sharia" and "is it good or bad that your laws don't follow sharia". Nowhere is the word sharia defined. So everyone answering that question will respond with their own bias and knowledge of what the word means. Pew is not a good place to look for definitions of things,  they leave that up to the people they poll. Of you can't even understand that, I have no clue how to talk to you. It is clear you have your own issues to work out regarding islam and this discussion us not going anywhere. You aren't even interested in a discussion or a more informed perspective from a Muslim, you are only interested in your own interpretation and you don't seem to want to move away from this interpretation of things. Have fun blaming Islam I guess. Eh

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
JuliusHackebeil said:

There seems to be a funny misunderstanding.
You think I don't get Islam. But it actually is the quite reputable pew research center that just does not get it. It is their numbers I provided, not my personal ideas about Islam. I wish pew research center would finaly listen to you about how sharia is just a personal moral code and not a legal framework. Because if they did, they could also tell the tens of thousands of muslims they polled for their survey. They could tell them that Eagle367 has the one truth for Islam hidden away here at vgchartz. They could tell all those people from Afghanistan, Iraq, Malysia, Djibouti, Palestinia, etc. that more than 80 % of the muslims who live there should read your comment and finaly get that they should not want sharia as the law of the land, because it is just a personal moral code.
But until they do I suppose we have to grapple with the reality of the situation. And that situation is that hundreds of millions of muslims around the world want Islam to be the basis and deciding factor of their legal system (I even did not write the word "sharia" this time, I hope that helps). I think it is a weak argument to just say that people like that (the big majority of the countries I listed) have it wrong. They are in fact a big part of the global muslim community. And they should be treated that way. Their beliefs should be taken into account when talking about Islam. So I take them into account. But you don't seem to. You seem to close your eyes to the fact that hundreds of millions of muslims around the world want Islam to be the basis and deciding factor of their legal system. But this is what is going on. What do you do with this very simple fact? Write another comment that is just deflection? Because I really wonder who is not reading whos comments here.

88 % of Malyan muslims say they want religious judges to decide family and property disputes.
81 % of Afghani muslims say they favor corporal punishment for crimes such as theft
89 % of Pakistani muslims want stoning as a punishment for adultery
86 % of Egyptian muslims want the death penalty for apostasy.

This time I even bothered to provide a link: https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-beliefs-about-sharia/#_ftnref6

This is not a problem of some harmful interpretations (as you wrote in your comment that I have read). This is mainline thinking in many different Islam-dominated countries around the world.

And sure, these countries are poor and have bad infrastructure, bad education, high crime rate, etc. This seems to also be one of your points: "The bad things happening in a country stem from it's poor state, not from there being Islam." -But how is it that so many Christianity-dominated South-American countries do not live in the stone age where they favor corporal punishment for theft, want stoning for adultery, want religious judges to decide family and property disputes, and want the death penalty for leaving Christianity? These are dirt poor countries with high crime and many problems of their own. But there seems to be a unique set of problems just stemming from Islam as well, no?

Ok now we have entered bad faith territory and I can't proceed further with this. Also some reactionary bs as well. Why were Christians of the 11the century so regressive meanwhile the most progressive people of the time lived in the middle east? And you think south America hasn't had its share of bad positions and politics?  And you do know pew just does polls right? It doesn't ask for definitions and clarifications. It just asks a question from people and the people answer. Pew fir example asks "are you liberal or conservative", it doesn't define what those terms are. So the answers are based on personal bias. So to that effect, people just respond in what they perceive about the terms themselves. The only questions asked are "how closely does your country follow sharia" and "is it good or bad that your laws don't follow sharia". Nowhere is the word sharia defined. So everyone answering that question will respond with their own bias and knowledge of what the word means. Pew is not a good place to look for definitions of things,  they leave that up to the people they poll. Of you can't even understand that, I have no clue how to talk to you. It is clear you have your own issues to work out regarding islam and this discussion us not going anywhere. You aren't even interested in a discussion or a more informed perspective from a Muslim, you are only interested in your own interpretation and you don't seem to want to move away from this interpretation of things. Have fun blaming Islam I guess. Eh

I bet you think it is terribly frustrating to talk to me. And if so I can assure you the feeling is mutual. But dialogue, especially across such differences as ours, is important to me. If you do not want to engage further, I get it and best of luck with your views. But I cannot let it go just yet.

Let's switch to Christianity for a second. Say christian A has beliefe A. And christian B has beliefe B. Both want government based on their faith. Now you would be right to ask what their beliefs are. This is important. But firstly I think we need to acknowledge that both christian A and christian B are backward savages for wanting their faith anywhere near the government in the first place. I would call my own father a backward savage if he ever wanted a government based on his current interpretation of christianity. Even if he certainly does not want corporal punishment, stoning for adultery, death for apostasy, polygamy and women as second class citizens. Still I would call him that. Because religion has no place anywhere near the government.

Now there are hundreds of millions of muslims who want their faith to be the law (however many interpretations this would entail). Would you not agree that this is a problem? Even if Islam was known as an absolutely unproblematic religion (which is an impossibility since every faith will always have enough problems) would it not still be a big problem wanting it as the law of the land?

Also: when is a problem the problem of a religion? I have a very wide definition and would for example include child molestation with Christianity. Now I strongly suspect that nowhere in the christian doctrine would it ever say: Thou shall molest children. Being a child molester is not what a christian is. And still I would say that it is a problem of Christianity that so many priests do molest children.

In accordance with that I would say that not being able to be openly gay is a problem of Islam. Now let's say that homosexuality just has nothing to do with Islam and the Qur'an at all. It just is not an issue one way or the other for the text itself. But practice and effect are still important. Even if the Qur'an would not mention anything about homosexuality I would say since homosexuals have it so very hard in Islam dominated countries, it is a problem of Islam.

Let's say the Qur'an does not mention anything about the relations of men and women. But when in countries dominated by Islam women have a worse legal standing, get less inheritance, must veil their bodies without their consent, must have a male guardian if they want to leave the house, are blamed if they get raped, must merry their cousins or uncles, etc. than I would say this is still a problem of Islam.

Let's say the Qur'an does not mention anything about apostasy. According to the text itself it would just be a non-issue. It is just incidental that so many people (hundreds of millions) in countries dominated by Islam want the death penalty for apostasy. Would it not still be a problem of Islam as is child molestation for Christianity?

By the way: I do not go to pew research for definitions. I go there to see what people think. And apparently hundres of millions of muslims think that their (very individual) faith should be the government.

And you actually did not provide the link I asked you for - where it says that muslims in the USA are more progressive than christians. I am curious to see if the situation is different from Europe. Where ca. 10 % of muslims in Spain and Britain, and 16 % in France think that violence against civilian targets to defend Islam is justified often or sometimes. With an additional 15 % (or so) thinking it is rarely justified.
-If Islam has no bearing on people and it is just economics and education and all that jazz, how come every 10th muslim in Britain and every 7th muslim in France has such horrible views?

And what parts of Islam do you think are bad? Can you not talk about that at all? I asked that already and you ignored the question. The death for apostasy thing is not that great, is it? That slavery is endorsed in the Qur'an (as it is in the bible, just saying) is a problem, is it not? That women are second class citizens according to the things directly coming from the Qur'an is surely something any sensible person could do without?

And I did not get your point about Islam not being built to be the government due to it being decentralised. What should that even mean? That there is no pope? Perhaps you can clear this up. Because in my understanding Muhammed wrote the text during an ever more sucessfull and ever more bloody conquest. And I think the Qur'an reflects that getting ever more brutal and it's teachings more ruthless by the page. If it is not built to be the government, why are there so many laws in it? And is it just a coincidence than that so many people in Islam want faith based government? And so few people in Christianity, Buddhism, Thaoism, Shinto, Hinduism, etc. want that as well? Is islam not a bajillion times better suited for faith based government than something like Shinto?

Absolutely, but the problem lies not so much with religions but in certain types of people who use and pervert religions for the purpose of hurting or controlling others.

When you’re talking about “Christians” like the Donald Trump types, Westboro Baptist “God Hates fags” types, the Margarita Taylor Greene types I consider to be enemies… much like Jesus did in the Gospels. Jesus considered these types sanctimonious, hypocritical, ignoramuses whose damnation would be greatest, so he wouldn’t have liked them either.

Anyone who doesn’t like those sorts of Christians, but feels that respecting religion is a good thing, should read the gospels. They’re not very long - Mark being about 11,000 words, Matthew and Luke being about 20,000 each, and John around 16,000 - these are the core texts of Christian scripture - the ones with the messages of Jesus. They also happen to be the ones those Televangelists, judgment politicians, and judgmental hate groups always seem to conveniently forget or will cherry pick out of context for their usage—something Jesus also said was a bad thing, and accused his enemies of. Should we respect these sorts of Christians when even their own religious founder clearly would not?

I’m sure Jesus would say respect goes two ways. If these hateful sorts judge you and therefore aren’t respecting you, you are under no obligation to respect them back; Jesus would agree with you.

Also, while Matthew is generally placed first in the Gospels, IMO, Mark is the best paced and sharpest of the bunch and the one I’d recommend reading first.
The Gospel of Matthew is a similar story to Mark, but has the infancy narrative (you know, three wisemen and baby Jesus), and is much more comparative/conflict based, this is the one where Jesus is harshest toward Republican-type religious sorts.
The Gospel of John is different from the others, it focuses much more heavily on theology, and isn’t as morally strong IMO. If you’re interested in Gnosticism and Hellenistic Judaism, the Gospel of John is a must-read.
The Gospel of Luke comes last, it is most like Mark, and it also contains the infancy narrative. It’s the most developed of the Gospels, and maybe the most enjoyable version of the story. It is also probably by the same writer who wrote The Book of Acts, so it feels most natural.
Acts is like the sequel to the Gospels, and the fifth book of the Christian Bible. It covers the story of Jesus’s followers after his death.

The Epistles suck, they’re very preachy.

The book of Revelation is kind of nonsense to most people. Unless you’re interested in historical metaphors, just avoid this one. There are parallels with the Gospels as well, but that’s (again) for people with a much deeper scholarly interest.

The Old Testament has some interesting books too, but IMO they’re kind of Monty Python level. The books of Kings, Samuel, and some of the others are great, Song of Songs.

Avoid Genesis, Exodus, Numbers and others - instead read other books about these ones as IMO they’re very very very dry. The Book of Dan and such are apocalyptic texts like Revelation, and probably should be ignored by non-religious sorts for the same reason. Psalms and other books can be ignored too, they’re just sayings, I’m a big reader of religious texts and even I couldn’t do these ones.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.