By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I think we should respect all religions (people might not know their friend is devoted to muslim or Chrisitanity etc)

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) has been relisted on the Xbox 360 marketplace

我是广州人

Around the Network

If you get offended by something on social media, the fault lies with you and not the one who posted it. Unless it's actively spreading hate. The internet is uncensored and that includes mockery/meming of political institutions and governments. If you can't deal with that don't be active on social media.

There are sites who provide censorship against any post regarding mockery of religion or really any subject. So if you can't handle it, go to those sites.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

If you get offended by something on social media, the fault lies with you and not the one who posted it. Unless it's actively spreading hate. The internet is uncensored and that includes mockery/meming of political institutions and governments. If you can't deal with that don't be active on social media.

There are sites who provide censorship against any post regarding mockery of religion or really any subject. So if you can't handle it, go to those sites.

I'm pretty sure most mainstream platforms don't allow Islamophobia, bigotry based on religion and anti-semitism. Muslims and jews are given their own sectors because they get so much of the hate and bigotry compared to other religions.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Respecting others faiths is surely nice and all. But I don't think it should be a requirement. Everybody should be able to talk about everything. Government, religious institutions, sexuality, gender, nations, races, etc.
When you are an idiot you are typically secluded from more sensible people anyways.

But there are also sides to different religions that need to be banned. Nobody should accept as faith what sensible people would consider a crime. When a catholic priest does soemthing to a child, he should be put in prison. When a muslim forces his daughter to marry her cousin, he should be put in prison.

If all religions should be absolutely respected, the french cartoon artists had it coming. No amount of mockery justifies violent retaliation.

And there is a not so fine line between justified critique and, say, islamophobia. People are all to quick to shout the latter. I think most religions are quite bad, but islam has so many horrible sides to it. And yet critique is just shouted down, surpressed and censored. Some cultures and religions are backwards and their ways savage. We should be able to point all of that out.

We should respect all people. We should not respect any religion, unless their ideas have been proven to be valid, or at the very least non-harmful. For example, the Catholic church has actively worked to shelter and enable child abusers for decades, and deserves absolutely no respect.

Around the Network

Easiest solution is to stop talking about religion, let it be a personal choice, and treat people they way they deserve to be treated.

I don't respect brainwashing and oppressing basic human rights.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I rather not.

CaptainExplosion said:
Eagle367 said:

I'm pretty sure most mainstream platforms don't allow Islamophobia, bigotry based on religion and anti-semitism. Muslims and jews are given their own sectors because they get so much of the hate and bigotry compared to other religions.

I never understood where anti-Semitism came from before the Nazis. To me Islamophobia's source makes sense, since some of history's greatest scumbags happened to be Muslim.

Jews traditionally isolated themselves from the surrounding communities. They maintained their own style of dress, food, etc., which made them easily identifiable as outsiders. They also were generally in conflict with the dominant religion of their regions. They typically had their own systems for things like education and justice. And, they were very often successful and influential, which makes them easier to hate by those in the dominant class that are struggling (of course if they were unsuccessful they'd be accused of leeching off the government so it's a lose lose). 

I'm not justifying it, but given the way racism, xenophobia, etc etc have generally worked, it's not hard to see why anti-semitism would exist. They are an easy target.

As long as they're keeping to themselves, we should respect both religious and non-religious people equally. Not enough respect out there right now. We need more of it.