By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 19.3 Million Units as of March 2022, 70.5 Million PlayStation Games Sold

It's funny how there's always someone who doesn't get the shipped and sold distinction. Also hopefully they are able to ship 18m or close to it since after a slow quarter things picking up would be great to see.

Around the Network
Norion said:

It's funny how there's always someone who doesn't get the shipped and sold distinction. Also hopefully they are able to ship 18m or close to it since after a slow quarter things picking up would be great to see.

It happens ALL the time...for mainly PlayStation of all platforms. No one seems to care about the gap between shipped vs sold when it comes to Nintendo. Even with PS5 being sold out it can take several weeks for consoles to ship from the manufacture to retailers. So there is the gap.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Here is where VGChartz estimates stand right now for PS5:

• Shipped: 19.3M
  • Sold: 18.7M
  • Gap 600K

That leaves between 3 and 4 weeks to ship consoles around the world. Some regions are faster than that (Japan, Asia) and some are longer (Americas).

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
Norion said:

It happens ALL the time...for mainly PlayStation of all platforms. No one seems to care about the gap between shipped vs sold when it comes to Nintendo. Even with PS5 being sold out it can take several weeks for consoles to ship from the manufacture to retailers. So there is the gap.

I guess saying that is easier than just admit this is all speculation and no need to figure out when or where the errors occurred. Since theres almost no more reliable data anymore and your guesses where only based on how many Sony projected to sell.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
trunkswd said:

I guess saying that is easier than just admit this is all speculation and no need to figure out when or where the errors occurred. Since theres almost no more reliable data anymore and your guesses where only based on how many Sony projected to sell.

Our estimates aren't guesses as we get actual data. Sure there are markets not covered, so we need to extrapolate to get worldwide totals. We get figures every week out of Japan and Spain, look at retail availability (mainly for PS5 and Series X), historical sales, and get monthly figures for the US, UK, and Europe. 

Our estimates are never 100% spot on, but I do the best I can with the data available. Which is far less than there used to be.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Norion said:

My guess is the Switch is doing so amazingly well that hardcore Nintendo fans don't feel a need to make a fuss about it. It might happen less often with the PS5 once its sales pick up.

trunkswd said:

Link to VGChartz article

PS5 Ships 19.3 Million Units as of March 2022, 70.5 Million PlayStation Games Sold

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 19.3 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of March 31, 2022.

With 19.3 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of March 2022 that means 2 million units were shipped from January to March. This is down from 3.3 million for the same quarter a year ago. Demand for the console remains well above what Sony is able to supply.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 2.3 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 22.4 million units shipped as of March 31, 2015. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 3.1 million units.

Sony shipped 0.1 million PlayStation 4 consoles for the quarter, which is down from 1.0 million for the same quarter a year ago. Lifetime PlayStation 4 shipments are currently at 117.0 million units.

There were a total of 70.5 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is up 9.1 million from 61.4 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 71 percent of software sales.

There were 14.5 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is up 6.6 million from 7.9 million first-party games sold a year ago.

The number of PlayStation Plus subscribers is now at 47.4 million, which is down 0.2 million from 47.6 million from the same quarter a year ago. There were 106 million monthly active users, a drop from 106 million a year ago.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the quarter ending March 31, 2021, reported revenue increase 0.8 percent year-over-year to 666.5 billion yen ($5.11 billion), while operating income increased 175.4 percent to 87.3 billion yen ($0.67 billion).

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the 2021 fiscal year, reported revenue increase 3.0 percent year-over-year to 2,739.8 billion yen ($21.01 billion), while operating income increased 1.3 percent to 346.1 billion yen ($1.65 billion).

The forecast for the 2021 fiscal year expects revenue to increase percent to 3,660 billion yen ($28.07 billion, while operation income will decrease to 305 billion yen ($2.34 billion).

Sony expects an increase in revenue of hardware, peripheral devices, and non-first-party titles including add-on content, which will be impacted by foreign exchange rates.

Sony expects to ship 11.5 million PS5 consoles for the full fiscal year ending March 31, 2022. This would put expected PS5 shipment numbers at 2 million for the quarter ending March 31.

Bold area... Doesn't look like much of a drop.

darthv72 said:

Bold area... Doesn't look like much of a drop.

You are right. That was a typo. Number was at 109 million a year ago and not 106 million.

Mar1217 said:

So they expect to ship almost just as much many consoles as one already sold on the market despite the problematics of scarcity and ship shortages being present ?

Either this is going to become a non-problem during the following year or to me that sounds like the kind of fiscal analysis you do to safe your face temporarily in front of your investors. Expecting them to revise the trajectory after the next 2 quarters.

18m is still 5m less than their original roadmap they gave before the launch of the PS5, so "saving face", this is not.

Semiconductor scarcity is also a question of who is willing to pay what, so even if the overall production of semiconductors does not increase, Sony can still get more parts if they are willing to pay more than the year before.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

18m seems a bit optimistic to me considering the shortages and the recent lockdowns in China. Hopefully they can hit this target. Sony seems really optimistic for the upcoming FY.