By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 19.3 Million Units as of March 2022, 70.5 Million PlayStation Games Sold

With 14.5M units of first party software sold in the last quarter, I think its reasonable to assume HFW & GT7 make up 6M - 7M+ of the figure, which is a great result since this represents about a month of sales for both titles.

Like Miles Morales, GT7 and Horizon will top the charts whenever there is a significant PS5 restock.

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 10 May 2022

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

They're forecasting only 11.5 million consoles shipped?? This chip shortage blows

11.5M is the amount of PS5's they sold from April 2021 to March 2022.

Currently Sony is forecasting 18M PS5's shipped from April 2022 to March 2023. 

I just read it again, yikes I really mis read that lol. My bad 

Farsala said:

18m for the next FY is quite small, considering the consistent demand. Supply issues will continue for the entire FY I guess. This also probably means the entire first half of the PS5's life will have supply issues.

I could see Sony extending the PS5's life to make up for it, but launch aligned with the PS4 it will be behind for a long time.

This is close to what PS4 sold in it's peak years. So tbh this is a strong number for the PS5 if they are able to match it. 

jason1637 said:

18m seems a bit optimistic to me considering the shortages and the recent lockdowns in China. Hopefully they can hit this target. Sony seems really optimistic for the upcoming FY.

Yeah I agree.  I don't think they are going to get anywhere close to 18m.  Not only are they going to have some problems with chip shortages still, but I don't think PS5 is going to be terribly popular outside of Europe.  I live in the US, and I haven't encountered anyone with a PS5 or even someone who wants a PS5.  I have a daughter and a lot of nieces and nephews.  My daughter and her friends and my nieces just care about Switch.  My nephews like XBox, Switch and PC.  None of them are interested in PS5.

I think if shortages do ease up, Sony will find that the main region that wants PS5 is Europe.

RolStoppable said:
Pionner said:

Shipped is sold in this case. There are no consoles on shelves. They’re selling every PS5 they can make. 

You can’t make a comparison with ship vs sold with PS5 high demand and stock shortages.

People really believe since shipping 19.3M March 31st that there’s PS5 stock out there still? Ok. You can’t account for overstock because there are none.

It's called "units in transit." Sony doesn't wait for counting a sale for them as a company until a PS5 unit has arrived at a store. Once an order has been placed and has been sent underway, it's already sold for Sony a.k.a. shipped.

EDIT: @trunkswd 

You used the wrong link in your article, yours leads to Sony's Q3 results. This is the correct one for Q4 and the full year:

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q4_sonypre.pdf

And here is the more detailed one that lists PS shipments on page 9:

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q4_supplement.pdf

No offense....but this sounds like a new excuse. I don’t know whether to defend vgchartz always being inaccurate, or people doubting PS5 sales. 

Once again, you cannot use that method with PS5. Whatever Sony ships they sell. There’s no PS5 stock anywhere. It’s been 2 weeks since March 31st where this sites data reports. Even if I believed that assertion, all those “unites in transit” would have been sold already. 

More importantly, when Sony reports shipped, it’s shipped to retailers meaning they already bought them and is in their warehouses. Not that consoles are still in transit. So that fact automatically makes that “unit in transit argument” factually wrong.

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
jason1637 said:

18m seems a bit optimistic to me considering the shortages and the recent lockdowns in China. Hopefully they can hit this target. Sony seems really optimistic for the upcoming FY.

Yeah I agree.  I don't think they are going to get anywhere close to 18m.  Not only are they going to have some problems with chip shortages still, but I don't think PS5 is going to be terribly popular outside of Europe.  I live in the US, and I haven't encountered anyone with a PS5 or even someone who wants a PS5.  I have a daughter and a lot of nieces and nephews.  My daughter and her friends and my nieces just care about Switch.  My nephews like XBox, Switch and PC.  None of them are interested in PS5.

I think if shortages do ease up, Sony will find that the main region that wants PS5 is Europe.

There’s plenty of demand for the PS5 in the US. I think I’ll sell well here and once they can consistently supply stock their American sales will increase. But yeah I was expecting Sony to project ~16m for this FY so the 18m was a bit of a surprise. 

Norion said:
trunkswd said:

It happens ALL the time...for mainly PlayStation of all platforms. No one seems to care about the gap between shipped vs sold when it comes to Nintendo. Even with PS5 being sold out it can take several weeks for consoles to ship from the manufacture to retailers. So there is the gap.

My guess is the Switch is doing so amazingly well that hardcore Nintendo fans don't feel a need to make a fuss about it. It might happen less often with the PS5 once its sales pick up.

Has absolutely nothing to do with that. I’m not the only one saying this. People who don’t have a dog in this fight are coming to the same conclusions. ZghuhEX is one of them.

Its just that the reporting of PS5 makes no sense. It’s always the PS5 which is why it’s talked about the most.

RolStoppable said:
Pionner said:

Shipped is sold in this case. There are no consoles on shelves. They’re selling every PS5 they can make. 

You can’t make a comparison with ship vs sold with PS5 high demand and stock shortages.

People really believe since shipping 19.3M March 31st that there’s PS5 stock out there still? Ok. You can’t account for overstock because there are none.

It's called "units in transit." Sony doesn't wait for counting a sale for them as a company until a PS5 unit has arrived at a store. Once an order has been placed and has been sent underway, it's already sold for Sony a.k.a. shipped.

You used the wrong link in your article, yours leads to Sony's Q3 results. This is the correct one for Q4 and the full year:

No offense....but this sounds like a new excuse. I don’t know whether to defend vgchartz always being inaccurate, or people doubting PS5 sales. 

Once again, you cannot use that method with PS5. Whatever Sony ships they sell. There’s no PS5 stock anywhere. It’s been 2 weeks since March 31st where this sites data reports. Even if I believed that assertion, all those “unites in transit” would have been sold already. 

More importantly, when Sony reports shipped, it’s shipped to retailers meaning they already bought them and is in their warehouses. Not that consoles are still in transit. So that fact automatically makes that “unit in transit argument” factually wrong.

You cannot compare this gen to last generation shipped to sold or other consoles like the Switch who has more stock and therefore overstock on shelves.

There is no extra PS5 stock. In stores or being delivered.

EDIT

Oops....posted this twice. I thought this post didn’t go trough. Short page count.

Last edited by Pionner - on 10 May 2022

How can you argue that consoles take time to ship around the world after production...

Boggles the mind.

Pionner said:
RolStoppable said:

Let’s use a more common example of how sold/shipped actually works:

You buy something on Amazon and let’s say it take 5 days for the delivery. That’s a direct shipping distribution from one retailer to the customer, yet there’s still a small delay between shipped and delivered. That’s what VGC is tracking, the last transaction for each console sold to customers and that’s usually the quickest in the distribution chain.

Before that, once the product is out of production, it’s shipped from factory to the freighter warehouse, than shipped to the freighter’s warehouse at its intended destination and this can take days or weeks depending of the transportation used (boat, truck, plane, etc). Only then it’s shipped to retailers main distribution centers and even after that it can take a few days before the product will be transferred to the retailer where it will be ready to be SOLD to the customer. 

What Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft (when they bother to) track is what is sold to THEIR customers, aka Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, etc. And this happens weeks before the product is available to be sold to the customers, so even if something is always sold out, there will be a gap between what is reported shipped and what is delivered and sold.

Who knows, from the 19M figures, maybe 100k where shipped on the 29th of March and where only just sold to customers last week. They were in transit.