By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 19.3 Million Units as of March 2022, 70.5 Million PlayStation Games Sold

eva01beserk said:

You guys are confused as to say that how a individual bought items counts as a corporation byuing in bulk is. Having worked on it myself for a time I can garanty any of you that theres no way Sony counta as sold any unit that's in a cargo ship to a retailer. A ratailer can buy a cargo ship full of a product and pay in advance but the seller does not count it as sold yet. For the main reason of quality control and schedule. Only at the receiving of the product does a company counts it as sold.

The best a company counts as sold is when it gets to a retailers where house. Thats the biggest time frame that the shipped to retailers is not yet sold to consumers. But once it hits a retailers where house its at most days away from actual stores.

That's why they don't report "sold" but "shipped".

Btw it's called warehouse.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
eva01beserk said:

You guys are confused as to say that how a individual bought items counts as a corporation byuing in bulk is. Having worked on it myself for a time I can garanty any of you that theres no way Sony counta as sold any unit that's in a cargo ship to a retailer. A ratailer can buy a cargo ship full of a product and pay in advance but the seller does not count it as sold yet. For the main reason of quality control and schedule. Only at the receiving of the product does a company counts it as sold.

The best a company counts as sold is when it gets to a retailers where house. Thats the biggest time frame that the shipped to retailers is not yet sold to consumers. But once it hits a retailers where house its at most days away from actual stores.

You checked my spelling. My whole point is now mute. Well done.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Kakadu18 said:

You being serious?

Kakadu18 said:
eva01beserk said:

You being serious?

I meant shipped. But in this cases for sony shipped is same as sold. So sonys shipped is at the retailers WAREHOUSE wich is then days away from actual sales. Not weeks like vgchartz has it.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Kakadu18 said:

You being serious?

I meant shipped. But in this cases for sony shipped is same as sold. So sonys shipped is at the retailers WAREHOUSE wich is then days away from actual sales. Not weeks like vgchartz has it.

How do you know that?

Around the Network

So if a retailer orders a bunch of copies of a Game based on a famous Movie, for the Atari, they are counted as Sold right? It doesn't matter if people still don't have it in their hands and don't want it.

So Famitsu 3DS sales doesn't matter anymore because those consoles are already produced. Why bother counting it?

It is really important to know the difference between shipped and sold to know how many consoles to produce at the given time?

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 11 May 2022

Kakadu18 said:
eva01beserk said:

How do you know that?

Like in said in my original post. I worked for a little while in the shipping and purchasing department when the guy at the moment rage quit and me and other supervisors took over untill a replacement was found.

Money spend buying material was considerd spent but money or product sold was not fully considered sold untill it reached the destination and retailer has accepted it and decided not to send it back for whatever reason. And I'll tell you that retailers would reject shit for small things or refuse to pay or demand cuts.  We complied to avoid loosing a reocurring purchase. 

eddy7eddy said:

So if a retailer orders a bunch of copies of a Game based on a famous Movie, for the Atari, they are counted as Sold right? It doesn't matter if people still don't have it in their hands and don't want it.

So Famitsu 3DS sales doesn't matter anymore because those consoles are already produced. Why bother counting it?

It is really important to know the difference between shipped and sold to know how many consoles to produce at the given time?

Once ot reaches their hands it definetly is. Untill it does its not considered neither shipped nor sold. 

Sales units (or sell-in) are noted the moment a sales client makes a purchase order (or once it is officially paid). The retailers, distributers, wholesalers...those are the sales clients.
Shipped units are noted the moment a device is moved off the packaging line and into the supply chain for delivery and are no longer under the direct ownership of the supplier/producer.
Sell-through or sold-through are units sold to end consumers. That's us.

The lagging indicator of sell-through from units sold or units shipped is typically weeks as determined by the delivery methodology, warehousing methods and shelf life.

Suggestion: As a sales tracking website, why not have a section on industry definitions? Or have tools that can simulate the difference between shipped and sell-through?

eva01beserk said:
Kakadu18 said:

How do you know that?

Like in said in my original post. I worked for a little while in the shipping and purchasing department when the guy at the moment rage quit and me and other supervisors took over untill a replacement was found.

Money spend buying material was considerd spent but money or product sold was not fully considered sold untill it reached the destination and retailer has accepted it and decided not to send it back for whatever reason. And I'll tell you that retailers would reject shit for small things or refuse to pay or demand cuts.  We complied to avoid loosing a reocurring purchase. 

That's direct sell-in without a distributor or intermediary. Basically you were functioning as both a manufacturer and a distributor.