By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 19.3 Million Units as of March 2022, 70.5 Million PlayStation Games Sold

holzi said:

Mandalore76 said:

I'm not the one arguing the distinction between the two.  I very clearly stated that the way VGChartz tracks sold units is consistent among its tracking of all hardware manufacturers.  But, thanks for editing out all of the context of my post and the bolded statement that I thought I had made it abundantly clear I was remarking on.  It's ironic that the majority of your post confirms rather than contradicts what I said.

Funny that in addition to VGChartz every single person on this Quora Question (https://www.quora.com/Does-shipped-mean-delivered), the Oxford English Dictionary(SHIPPED | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary) as well as Amazon use the term in the wrong way. Also interesting that Nintendo which certainly is in the same industry as Playstation also uses shipped and sell-through as two different metrics that can differ by millions (Nintendo: Switch Sell-Through Sales 'Has Surpassed 30 Million Units as of the End of January' (vgchartz.com), 190201_2e.pdf (nintendo.co.jp)).

But you certainly are much more intelligent than all those people combined.

What are you on about?  Please feel free to quote me where I said they don't.  We're talking about how VGChartz <---- tracks console sales, in that it leaves a gap to account for consoles not just on shelves but in transit.  The very specific post, that I very specifically quoted, insinuated that this is some sort of new practice that VGChartz is using to make it seem like less PS5's have been sold.  Read an entire quote and comprehend the context next time before you throw on your tin foil hat and join the VGChartz is anti-Sony brigade.

Pionner said:

"No offense....but this sounds like a new excuse. I don’t know whether to defend vgchartz always being inaccurate, or people doubting PS5 sales. 

Once again, you cannot use that method with PS5. Whatever Sony ships they sell. There’s no PS5 stock anywhere. It’s been 2 weeks since March 31st where this sites data reports. Even if I believed that assertion, all those “unites in transit” would have been sold already. 

More importantly, when Sony reports shipped, it’s shipped to retailers meaning they already bought them and is in their warehouses. Not that consoles are still in transit. So that fact automatically makes that “unit in transit argument” factually wrong."

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Pionner said:

No offense....but this sounds like a new excuse. I don’t know whether to defend vgchartz always being inaccurate, or people doubting PS5 sales. 

Once again, you cannot use that method with PS5. Whatever Sony ships they sell. There’s no PS5 stock anywhere. It’s been 2 weeks since March 31st where this sites data reports. Even if I believed that assertion, all those “unites in transit” would have been sold already. 

More importantly, when Sony reports shipped, it’s shipped to retailers meaning they already bought them and is in their warehouses. Not that consoles are still in transit. So that fact automatically makes that “unit in transit argument” factually wrong.

Here they are:

Stock doesn't magically go from the production line to the retailer within seconds.  I'm a Logistics Manager, and I deal with the problems of the global supply chain crisis every day.  My warehouse just took in 6 container loads yesterday (this is a lot for a small warehouse staffed by a total of 4 people) from the NY port that have to be shipped by road to South Carolina because the port in Charleston is so overburned it's actually faster to get the material delivered to our plant in SC by unloading in NY than shipping directly to the port in SC. 

If you don't understand the distinction between "shipped units" and "sold units" don't frequent a website that tracks sales.  Not everything is a conspiracy against Sony.  Every console manufacturer is being affected by the global supply chain disruption and the semiconductor chip shortage.  There's no need for you to accuse VGChartz of trying to make Sony look bad just because for some reason you are personally offended by the weekly numbers you see.

By your logic, we should already be tracking Sony's projected but unmanufactured units as sold units as well.  Why not lose all sales credibility and post a banner on the front page of the site proclaiming PS5 has already achieved 100 million sales just for funsies?  Because that's not how this site tracks console sales for any hardware manufacturer, that's why.  There's no agenda here.  

LMAO

Sony shipped means the retailer has them in their warehouse. They're not on boats and planes. You think when Sony does their financial reports and reports the amount of consoles they shipped It's still being delivered? They've already been sold to retailers and are stocked. In PS5 case this generation, all are sold out. So shipped is sold.     

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

drkohler said:
Mandalore76 said:

If you don't understand the distinction between "shipped units" and "sold units" don't frequent a website that tracks sales. 

I find it rather amusing that you imply other people don't understand this, and then prove it is actually YOU who doesn't understand the matter at all.

So once again, spelled out for you: Sony's "Shipped vs Sold" is NOT the same as a sales site's "Shipped vs Sold".

At this special time, when demand far outstrips manufacturing capacity, every console that leaves the factories is SOLD for Sony, possibly even consoles that weren't even made yet. It is up to Sony how this goes into the books. It doesn't matter for Sony where the consoles actually are on the globe.

For this sales site, "Shipped vs Sold" is Sony's sold minus all the consoles that are either not yet made but sold, in production at the manufacturing plant, on trucks, ships, warehouses, department stores, landfills in New Zealand. Depending on transporting routes, the difference showing up in the numbers on this site here can be up to 4-6 weeks of end user sales.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

Pionner said:

LMAO

Sony shipped means the retailer has them in their warehouse. They're not on boats and planes. You think when Sony does their financial reports and reports the amount of consoles they shipped It's still being delivered? They've already been sold to retailers and are stocked. In PS5 case this generation, all are sold out. So shipped is sold.     

I think the most ironic thing about you guys doubling down on attacking me is the fact that you are actually contradicting each other in doing so.

RolStoppable said:
Pionner said:

No offense....but this sounds like a new excuse. I don’t know whether to defend vgchartz always being inaccurate, or people doubting PS5 sales. 

Once again, you cannot use that method with PS5. Whatever Sony ships they sell. There’s no PS5 stock anywhere. It’s been 2 weeks since March 31st where this sites data reports. Even if I believed that assertion, all those “unites in transit” would have been sold already. 

More importantly, when Sony reports shipped, it’s shipped to retailers meaning they already bought them and is in their warehouses. Not that consoles are still in transit. So that fact automatically makes that “unit in transit argument” factually wrong.

I can't help you if you are unwilling to understand how it works.

But I can remind you of a discussion from about three months ago when the PS5 scored a surprise NPD win and you said that VGC tracking a PS5 sales pace that will be in line with Sony's own projection of 2m for the quarter will prove VGC very wrong. Now Sony has confirmed that they could indeed not ship more than the forecasted 2m PS5 consoles for the quarter. There was some slight undertracking by VGC, but it was within the margin of error that the site set for itself. The general picture that the PS5 and XSX|S were neck at neck in sales during the first quarter of calendar year 2022 proved to be true.

I'd like to see that ZhugeEX statement where he says that shipped equates sold for the PS5.

I was talking about the way vgchartz was undertracking PS5 sales after we know they would ship 2M. Also that Sony could possibly ship more or less than 2M. I said it wouldn't line up with the results by March 31st. I was right.

By the way, using all this shipped vs sold amazing logic, the Xbox sales number should be a few hundred thousand lowered also then. There are a crap ton of Series S on shelves so yeah. 

Formerly ilovegirls69  :(

Pionner said:
RolStoppable said:

I can't help you if you are unwilling to understand how it works.

But I can remind you of a discussion from about three months ago when the PS5 scored a surprise NPD win and you said that VGC tracking a PS5 sales pace that will be in line with Sony's own projection of 2m for the quarter will prove VGC very wrong. Now Sony has confirmed that they could indeed not ship more than the forecasted 2m PS5 consoles for the quarter. There was some slight undertracking by VGC, but it was within the margin of error that the site set for itself. The general picture that the PS5 and XSX|S were neck at neck in sales during the first quarter of calendar year 2022 proved to be true.

I'd like to see that ZhugeEX statement where he says that shipped equates sold for the PS5.

I was talking about the way vgchartz was undertracking PS5 sales after we know they would ship 2M. Also that Sony could possibly ship more or less than 2M. I said it wouldn't line up with the results by March 31st. I was right.

By the way, using all this shipped vs sold amazing logic, the Xbox sales number should be a few hundred thousand lowered also then. There are a crap ton of Series S on shelves so yeah. 

What?  Microsoft doesn't report console sales, so VGChartz bases its estimates solely off the retail sales info it is able to obtain from various markets.

Around the Network
Pionner said:

LMAO

Yes and no.  The reports are written and reported after a quarter has already completed.  If a shipped unit is still stuck in transit at that time, then yes, it is reported as sold to client/shipped while still on a boat.

Let me reverse your question.  Do you think all the manufactures that had their goods stuck in the Suez Canal on the Ever Given for a week didn't report those goods as shipped?  Do you think that all the manufactures with product floating outside the Los Angeles/Long Beach port aren't reporting those goods as shipped yet?  

I'll sum it up for you. The report is noted on departure, not arrival.  Especially given that 3rd party distributors are often involved and even wholesalers if you aren't a major national chain. 

Last edited by Renamed - on 13 May 2022

This thread makes me feel smarter than I am.

Kakadu18 said:

Tell me about it.  For the past day, I've felt like this:

Mandalore76 said:
Kakadu18 said:

Tell me about it.  For the past day, I've felt like this:

Logic should be a school subject everywhere.

yo33331 said:

is it normal for PS4 to be 116.81 sold till april 30th if the shipments are 117M till 30th of march ? (if PS4 makes around 15k per week this means around 117.06 shipped till 30th of april which is a gap of 250k on the storeshelves? for a console that is selling 15k per week isn't this much ?

I agree, that seems weird.