By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 19.3 Million Units as of March 2022, 70.5 Million PlayStation Games Sold

Kakadu18 said:
eva01beserk said:

I meant shipped. But in this cases for sony shipped is same as sold. So sonys shipped is at the retailers WAREHOUSE wich is then days away from actual sales. Not weeks like vgchartz has it.

How do you know that?

Like in said in my original post. I worked for a little while in the shipping and purchasing department when the guy at the moment rage quit and me and other supervisors took over untill a replacement was found.

Money spend buying material was considerd spent but money or product sold was not fully considered sold untill it reached the destination and retailer has accepted it and decided not to send it back for whatever reason. And I'll tell you that retailers would reject shit for small things or refuse to pay or demand cuts.  We complied to avoid loosing a reocurring purchase. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eddy7eddy said:

So if a retailer orders a bunch of copies of a Game based on a famous Movie, for the Atari, they are counted as Sold right? It doesn't matter if people still don't have it in their hands and don't want it.

So Famitsu 3DS sales doesn't matter anymore because those consoles are already produced. Why bother counting it?

It is really important to know the difference between shipped and sold to know how many consoles to produce at the given time?

Once ot reaches their hands it definetly is. Untill it does its not considered neither shipped nor sold. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Sales units (or sell-in) are noted the moment a sales client makes a purchase order (or once it is officially paid). The retailers, distributers, wholesalers...those are the sales clients.
Shipped units are noted the moment a device is moved off the packaging line and into the supply chain for delivery and are no longer under the direct ownership of the supplier/producer.
Sell-through or sold-through are units sold to end consumers. That's us.

The lagging indicator of sell-through from units sold or units shipped is typically weeks as determined by the delivery methodology, warehousing methods and shelf life.

Suggestion: As a sales tracking website, why not have a section on industry definitions? Or have tools that can simulate the difference between shipped and sell-through?

eva01beserk said:
Kakadu18 said:

How do you know that?

Like in said in my original post. I worked for a little while in the shipping and purchasing department when the guy at the moment rage quit and me and other supervisors took over untill a replacement was found.

Money spend buying material was considerd spent but money or product sold was not fully considered sold untill it reached the destination and retailer has accepted it and decided not to send it back for whatever reason. And I'll tell you that retailers would reject shit for small things or refuse to pay or demand cuts.  We complied to avoid loosing a reocurring purchase. 

That's direct sell-in without a distributor or intermediary. Basically you were functioning as both a manufacturer and a distributor. 

Renamed said:
eva01beserk said:

That's direct sell-in without a distributor or intermediary. Basically you were functioning as both a manufacturer and a distributor. 

We sell to distributors but we also distribute. Depends if the customer is big enough. End of the day is the same we dont spend money thats not clear. And its not clear untill the customer has it, not in transit. Then they sell to individual people. 

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Pionner said:

No offense....but this sounds like a new excuse. I don’t know whether to defend vgchartz always being inaccurate, or people doubting PS5 sales. 

Once again, you cannot use that method with PS5. Whatever Sony ships they sell. There’s no PS5 stock anywhere. It’s been 2 weeks since March 31st where this sites data reports. Even if I believed that assertion, all those “unites in transit” would have been sold already. 

More importantly, when Sony reports shipped, it’s shipped to retailers meaning they already bought them and is in their warehouses. Not that consoles are still in transit. So that fact automatically makes that “unit in transit argument” factually wrong.

Here they are:

Stock doesn't magically go from the production line to the retailer within seconds.  I'm a Logistics Manager, and I deal with the problems of the global supply chain crisis every day.  My warehouse just took in 6 container loads yesterday (this is a lot for a small warehouse staffed by a total of 4 people) from the NY port that have to be shipped by road to South Carolina because the port in Charleston is so overburned it's actually faster to get the material delivered to our plant in SC by unloading in NY than shipping directly to the port in SC. 

If you don't understand the distinction between "shipped units" and "sold units" don't frequent a website that tracks sales.  Not everything is a conspiracy against Sony.  Every console manufacturer is being affected by the global supply chain disruption and the semiconductor chip shortage.  There's no need for you to accuse VGChartz of trying to make Sony look bad just because for some reason you are personally offended by the weekly numbers you see.

By your logic, we should already be tracking Sony's projected but unmanufactured units as sold units as well.  Why not lose all sales credibility and post a banner on the front page of the site proclaiming PS5 has already achieved 100 million sales just for funsies?  Because that's not how this site tracks console sales for any hardware manufacturer, that's why.  There's no agenda here.  

But doesn't Sony use these?

That would cut down on the "in transit" stock considerably.  Either that or just transport them faster.  Maybe this guy can help:

RolStoppable said:
eva01beserk said:

Such terms can exist depending on the type of product we are talking about, yes.

However, here we are talking about video game consoles and it should go without saying that retailers do not open all the boxes, connect the consoles to TVs and check if the hardware they received works. Hardware failure right out of the box is so rare with consoles that retailers assume that every unit is in good condition without going to the lengths of verifying it themselves.

Yes thats true. That is more of a product that will be worked on again that it happens more. But a console is from a truck to a shelf directly. Or online now days. 

Mandalore76 said:

If you don't understand the distinction between "shipped units" and "sold units" don't frequent a website that tracks sales. 

I find it rather amusing that you imply other people don't understand this, and then prove it is actually YOU who doesn't understand the matter at all.

So once again, spelled out for you: Sony's "Shipped vs Sold" is NOT the same as a sales site's "Shipped vs Sold".

At this special time, when demand far outstrips manufacturing capacity, every console that leaves the factories is SOLD for Sony, possibly even consoles that weren't even made yet. It is up to Sony how this goes into the books. It doesn't matter for Sony where the consoles actually are on the globe.

For this sales site, "Shipped vs Sold" is Sony's sold minus all the consoles that are either not yet made but sold, in production at the manufacturing plant, on trucks, ships, warehouses, department stores, landfills in New Zealand. Depending on transporting routes, the difference showing up in the numbers on this site here can be up to 4-6 weeks of end user sales.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

drkohler said:
Mandalore76 said:

If you don't understand the distinction between "shipped units" and "sold units" don't frequent a website that tracks sales. 

I find it rather amusing that you imply other people don't understand this, and then prove it is actually YOU who doesn't understand the matter at all.

So once again, spelled out for you: Sony's "Shipped vs Sold" is NOT the same as a sales site's "Shipped vs Sold".

At this special time, when demand far outstrips manufacturing capacity, every console that leaves the factories is SOLD for Sony, possibly even consoles that weren't even made yet. It is up to Sony how this goes into the books. It doesn't matter for Sony where the consoles actually are on the globe.

For this sales site, "Shipped vs Sold" is Sony's sold minus all the consoles that are either not yet made but sold, in production at the manufacturing plant, on trucks, ships, warehouses, department stores, landfills in New Zealand. Depending on transporting routes, the difference showing up in the numbers on this site here can be up to 4-6 weeks of end user sales.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

I'm not the one arguing the distinction between the two.  I very clearly stated that the way VGChartz tracks sold units is consistent among its tracking of all hardware manufacturers.  But, thanks for editing out all of the context of my post and the bolded statement that I thought I had made it abundantly clear I was remarking on.  It's ironic that the majority of your post confirms rather than contradicts what I said.

Mandalore76 said:

I'm not the one arguing the distinction between the two.  I very clearly stated that the way VGChartz tracks sold units is consistent among its tracking of all hardware manufacturers.  But, thanks for editing out all of the context of my post and the bolded statement that I thought I had made it abundantly clear I was remarking on.  It's ironic that the majority of your post confirms rather than contradicts what I said.

Funny that in addition to VGChartz every single person on this Quora Question (https://www.quora.com/Does-shipped-mean-delivered), the Oxford English Dictionary(SHIPPED | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary) as well as Amazon use the term in the wrong way. Also interesting that Nintendo which certainly is in the same industry as Playstation also uses shipped and sell-through as two different metrics that can differ by millions (Nintendo: Switch Sell-Through Sales 'Has Surpassed 30 Million Units as of the End of January' (vgchartz.com), 190201_2e.pdf (nintendo.co.jp)).

But you certainly are much more intelligent than all those people combined.