By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 16, 2022 - (11th Apr - 17th Apr)

I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the overlap.

Yes, PS5's performance in Japan is atrocious, but at the same time I think it's pretty obvious that they are severely supply constrained just as they are pretty much everywhere in the world right now.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Kneetos said:

I don't think it matters
I personally think the ps5 can hit the 8 to 10 million range in japan
The system is still relatively new and anything can happen, let's wait and see

A note to nintendo owners: remember when the switch had only just come out and Sony owners were calling it dead on arrival, no one wants it, its just a fad, look what happened, don't turn into them

The main problem with people saying stuff like this is that it had nothing to do with reality.  If people called the Wii U dead on arrival then they were totally accurate.  Well, PS5 software in Japan is selling worse than the Wii U.  One thing about being on a website that reports data is that people want an accurate picture of the current sales reality and hopefully an accurate forecast of the near future.  It's perfectly fine to call a failed system, "a failure".

The physical performance of PS5 is abysmal, you have more than 75 weeks back from this. Ps4 with the same hardware numbers have 26 50k+ games, Ps5 have only 7 ga,es and best selling is 140k( its on the same level of Xbox).  More than one year on the market you have good data for a good projection of future sales. 

Switch dead on arrival, people don´t have any data and any context for this claim.

Otter said:

My argument wasn't that it will be the best selling for months, simply that demand is pent up and way outstrips supply (which current software sales can't reflect) and a retailer said its 30x higher than current demand, which they did. We know it's supply constraint, so using a year worth of supply constraint sales data is a bit pointless in discussing actual "demand" or peak potential sales we could hypothetically see in a week without contraints. We have plenty of data points to look to like lotteries, being constantly sold out, being sold for high prices on Amazon JP, randomly fluctuating sales according to supply alone, hardware that thats not impacted by its biggest software releases. This mountain of evidence is why their stances demanding "proof" that there is much higher demand than current sales show, doesnt seem reasonable if we're taking the wider picture into account. It's more or less denial at this point. 

The argument they were debating was saying it would be the best selling for months so again the is no changing of context like you tried to claim I don't care about your argument about lotteries because that was never debated by me to begin with take it up with the same people you were already debating with rather than migrating your argument to someone else either way most of the data over the past year backs them far more.

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

So in the end, you're assuming the entire JP want it just because the demand of 1 or 2 stores, got it.

There are lottery systems for PS5 in many of Japans biggest retailers, it sells whatever sony ships (hence jumping from 15k-35k in a week without any new releases). I'm pointing to one piece of evidence amongst a lot of evidence that supply is not close to meeting demand. You are doing what exactly?

https://www.eurogamer.net/a-tokyo-stores-attempt-to-sell-new-ps5-stock-ends-in-chaos-and-a-call-to-the-police

If, if and if ps5..., i didn't see this level of defend when people said Switch would flop everywhere even in JP without any proof. And now, some people are trying to defend ps5 sales in JP even with the actual number. Double standards at it's finest. Quite hilarious.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Otter said:

There are lottery systems for PS5 in many of Japans biggest retailers, it sells whatever sony ships (hence jumping from 15k-35k in a week without any new releases). I'm pointing to one piece of evidence amongst a lot of evidence that supply is not close to meeting demand. You are doing what exactly?

https://www.eurogamer.net/a-tokyo-stores-attempt-to-sell-new-ps5-stock-ends-in-chaos-and-a-call-to-the-police

If, if and if ps5..., i didn't see this level of defend when people said Switch would flop everywhere even in JP without any proof. And now, some people are trying to defend ps5 sales in JP even with the actual number. Double standards at it's finest. Quite hilarious.

Who said switch would be a flop in Japan? Forget the game sales data. There were many Nintendo fans saying ps5 would be a flop during the first month of release just because of shortages 

Around the Network

An important point that has not been mentioned here is the scarcity principle:
"The rarer or more difficult it is to obtain a product, offer, or piece of content is, the more valuable it becomes. Because we think the product will soon be unavailable to us, we're more likely to buy it than if there were no impression of scarcity"

Or what do you think? I'm not saying this is the absolute truth, but can help to give an idea about how if PS5 & XSX would be avaiable for everyone and everyone knew they are avaiable for everyone, a lot of people that would get one today, wouldn't buy it until another factor happens (Like a New Game).

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 23 April 2022

HoangNhatAnh said:
Otter said:

This is honestly unrelated and was clearly governing your input on the topic. Lets leave the tit for tat console wars mentality outside of these discussions. 

The only reason why I jumped in to respond is because you said the idea of PS5 selling 200k in a week is a joke because its treadful software sales. PS5 has had weeks where its sold 50k hardware units and had zero software in the top 30. This shows the software charts can't be used to extrapolate what the PS5 could potentially sell in a week with supply able to meet demand. All we know is that demand is higher than supply. A portion of that is obviously scalpers, but at the end of the day famitsu doesn't distinguish between the two. How high it could sell is of course speculation

Good thread

Last edited by PaulPortland - on 23 April 2022

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

This is honestly unrelated and was clearly governing your input on the topic. Lets leave the tit for tat console wars mentality outside of these discussions. 

The only reason why I jumped in to respond is because you said the idea of PS5 selling 200k in a week is a joke because its treadful software sales. PS5 has had weeks where its sold 50k hardware units and had zero software in the top 30. This shows the software charts can't be used to extrapolate what the PS5 could potentially sell in a week with supply able to meet demand. All we know is that demand is higher than supply. A portion of that is obviously scalpers, but at the end of the day famitsu doesn't distinguish between the two. How high it could sell is of course speculation

SO, you see where you fail trying to defend your argument? 

You say, PS5 will sell 200K+ only cause one store says so. But there is not games that make a contrast against the consoles sales or that demand...

Console sales flop = Software sales flop. Where the best sold game is Elden Ring with barely 160K copies. If what you say were true,  we'll see PS5 games keeping at  the top 10, or at least, we'll see ps4 games who people wanted to play in PS5, but they couldn't and furthermore, they must have to play the past version...

So, I really can't see any of your words like some with sense.

PD. OLED no stock issues in Japan? Rly man?

PaulPortland said:
Otter said:

SO, you see where you fail trying to defend your argument? 

You say, PS5 will sell 200K+ only cause one store says so. But there is not games that make a contrast against the consoles sales or that demand...

Console sales flop = Software sales flop. Where the best sold game is Elden Ring with barely 160K copies. If what you say were true,  we'll see PS5 games keeping at  the top 10, or at least, we'll see ps4 games who people wanted to play in PS5, but they couldn't and furthermore, they must have to play the past version...

So, I really can't see any of your words like some with sense.

PD. OLED no stock issues in Japan? Rly man?

This generation is different. Many people are buying the ps5 and xbox series just for the backwards capabilities, enhanced and free upgrades, gamepass, ps plus collection. I got both xbox series s and ps5 and the only ps5 or xbox game I bought physically was ratchet and clank.