By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 16, 2022 - (11th Apr - 17th Apr)

konnichiwa said:
Otter said:

PS5 game sales are informed by how many PS5's actual sit in japan. Limited hardware stock limits software sales. We already know from expects that demand in Japan far, far exceeds supply. There's obviously a core base of Playstation gamers several million strong who haven't been able to get a system. PS5 could easily sell 200k in one week if it was able to supply as many systems, but obviously it wouldn't be able to keep that as a baseline for very long as it will meet the demands of that 2-3m core audience (excluding international scalpers) 

Switch has already sold to 20m people in japan, for this reason there is probably not enough pent up demand to sell 200k in an ordinary week without a major release or holiday.

Their is no proof really..  Those core one must also have a PS4 and are not massively buying PS4 games at the moment. Seems like some moved on.

There is no proof there is a core base of Playstation gamers? Or there is no proof that they are several millions strong?

The PS4 is 9 years old so lower engagement is to be expected. Japanese retailers have said demand for PS5 is at points 30x what supply can offer. I mean we don't have proof that the Switch won't drop to 20k next week but it'd be extremely unlikely. Similarly, even with a big decline in brand a few million core Playstation users shouldn't really be a debating point. 

Around the Network
Otter said:
konnichiwa said:

Their is no proof really..  Those core one must also have a PS4 and are not massively buying PS4 games at the moment. Seems like some moved on.

There is no proof there is a core base of Playstation gamers? Or there is no proof that they are several millions strong?

The PS4 is 9 years old so lower engagement is to be expected. Japanese retailers have said demand for PS5 is at points 30x what supply can offer. I mean we don't have proof that the Switch won't drop to 20k next week but it'd be extremely unlikely. Similarly, even with a big decline in brand a few million core Playstation users shouldn't really be a debating point. 

30x? Source, please.

Agente42 said:
Otter said:

30x? Source, please.

Otter said:
Agente42 said:

30x? Source, please.

All japan?

Or chain of store?

You taking one chain of store and appliance this of all japan. One moment and appliance in all year?

Realy?

The software, we have data, demonstrates the abysmal software performance, worse than Vita and Wiiu.

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

200k ps5 to play what? Video??? Look at ps5 games sales, well. Nice joke.

PS5 game sales are informed by how many PS5's actual sit in japan. Limited hardware stock limits software sales. We already know from experts that demand in Japan far, far exceeds supply. There's obviously a core base of Playstation gamers several million strong who haven't been able to get a system. PS5 could easily sell 200k in one week if it was able to supply as many systems, but obviously it wouldn't be able to keep that as a baseline for very long as it will meet the demands of that 2-3m core audience (excluding international scalpers) 

Switch has already sold to 20m people in japan, for this reason there is probably not enough pent up demand to sell 200k in an ordinary week without a major release or holiday.

So no proof outside the reality is ps5 software sales is terrible regardless of reasons.

Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

200k ps5 to play what? Video??? Look at ps5 games sales, well. Nice joke.

PS5 game sales are informed by how many PS5's actual sit in japan. Limited hardware stock limits software sales. We already know from experts that demand in Japan far, far exceeds supply. There's obviously a core base of Playstation gamers several million strong who haven't been able to get a system. PS5 could easily sell 200k in one week if it was able to supply as many systems, but obviously it wouldn't be able to keep that as a baseline for very long as it will meet the demands of that 2-3m core audience (excluding international scalpers) 

Your proof is for 1 or 2 stores? 30x of 100 is just 3000.

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 22 April 2022

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Otter said:

So no proof outside the reality is ps5 software sales is terrible regardless of reasons.

Otter said:

Your proof is for 1 or 2 store? 30x of 100 is 3000.

It´s because COMG! is not a good metric, only indicative too. The same thing here, it´s an indicative potential good demand, but physical software with a good chunk of data says otherwise. If you have Amazon, Yodobashi, Bic Camere, and other big retailers saying this in various months it´s another thing. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Because there's no switch shortages outside of Japan. Why is Japan the only country with switch shortages? Wouldn't Nintendo send more stock for Japan instead?

No Switch shortages outside Japan?

I'm looking for 2 months now to get my hands on an OLED Switch here in Luxembourg, where consoles very rarely go out of stock; PS5 and XS are readily available for instance, and I can't find any, only the base model and the lite. As soon as the OLED is restocked, it's gone again.

The OLED is definitely harder to find, not just in Japan. The Lite is readily available, but few people want one. And why settle for the base model? I'd rather wait and get the OLED instead, and I'm sure I'm by far not the only one.

PS5 is supply-limited, no questions about that. But in Japan, it's not nearly as much as you think it is.

The OLED is in supply on Amazon.de for 350€ right now, but that's usually not the case. Usually it's over 400€ or sold out.

Agente42 said:
Otter said:

All japan?

Or chain of store?

You taking one chain of store and appliance this of all japan. One moment and appliance in all year?

Realy?

The software, we have data, demonstrates the abysmal software performance, worse than Vita and Wiiu.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Otter said:

Otter said:

Your proof is for 1 or 2 store? 30x of 100 is 3000.

At this point you guys are trolling. No one is trying to provide "proof" for an estimation of demand, I didn't even use the higher value in the quote. I'm curious why you believe this store is an anomaly. Obsessing over software doesn't make sense because people don't buy games for platforms they don't have, can't access. If you have any better data to meassure demand for PS5 I'd like to see it, but otherwise lets be reasonable, all available evidence points to PS5 demand in Japan far outstrips demand, a real retailer states for them it is upwards of 30x. All the while, we know current demand means nothing in relation to LT sales, a distinction which is why I think its so hard for some of you to believe PS5 is in demand right now. 

Across the globe, the assumption of PS5/Series is that people are adopting earlier on in the generation.

Otter said:

At this point you guys are trolling. No one is trying to provide "proof" for an estimation of demand, I didn't even use the higher value in the quote. I'm curious why you believe this store is an anomaly. Obsessing over software doesn't make sense because people don't buy games for platforms they don't have, can't access. If you have any better data to meassure demand for PS5 I'd like to see it, but otherwise lets be reasonable, all available evidence points to PS5 demand in Japan far outstrips demand, a real retailer states for them it is upwards of 30x. All the while, we know current demand means nothing in relation to LT sales, a distinction which is why I think its so hard for some of you to believe PS5 is in demand right now. 

So in the end, you're assuming the entire JP want it just because the demand of 1 or 2 stores, got it.