By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chrono cross Remaster runs worse on newer hardware than the original on PS1

Kneetos said:
Dulfite said:

Wait, non-Nintendo devices get terrible ports from lazy third party developers too? I had no idea!

I find it more funny that when nintendo gets terrible ports (disgeia 6, RF5) its all the switch's fault

But when playstation gets terrible ports NOW it's on the devs!

(On topic)

Seriously, how did they mess this up?

First crystal chronicles, now this

Considering we are talking a PS1  ports... There wouldn't even be an excuse if the port ran poorly even on a PS2.

There are likely a myriad of reasons why this turned out the way it did... Lack of development resources, source code... And just terrible emulation quality.

Another aspect is that some games are just running on terrible/poorly optimized game engines which always have these little "peculiarities" and thus no amount of hardware will resolve erratic frame pacing, stutters and framerates... I.E. Grand Theft Auto, Elder Scrolls. etc'.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I'll be playing the OG mode without improvements. I prefer the way the art looks at lower resolutions

I thought they were making a remake but it turns out to be just a port with improved characters and dialogue boxes, so it is at least 20 years late.

I loved playing Chrono Cross on my PSP, playing this port on PC feels like a waste of time now.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

CGI-Quality said:

I won't promote emulation, but playing on the actual hardware definitely isn't the best way to play. Not if you have a good modern machine to do it. :)

So, a MiSTer FPGA.

It uses a wrapper, and is, as usual, a shit "remaster" job from Rectangle Enix.

Around the Network
Hynad said:

It uses a wrapper, and is, as usual, a shit "remaster" job from Rectangle Enix.

What do you mean with wrapper?
Rectangle Enix lol... That made me chuckle. 

Darashiva said:

I'm not sure where this thing about Playstation running it badly, when the issue seems to the same on all platforms the game is on, including the Switch and high-end PCs. I was very much looking forward to the Chrono Cross remaster because I've never had the chance to play the game before, but I think I'll wait and see if they fix these issues before getting it.

The original post, before editing, highlighted this problem specifically on the PS5. No other devices, that I recall, were mentioned, so that's why the conversation went there.

m0ney said:

I thought they were making a remake but it turns out to be just a port with improved characters and dialogue boxes, so it is at least 20 years late.

I loved playing Chrono Cross on my PSP, playing this port on PC feels like a waste of time now.

If it was a remake then it would take 5 years to come out after being announced, just like FF7R. These people can't help themselves but announce games prematurely and then take an absurd amount of time to make them.

CGI-Quality said:
JackHandy said:

This is one of the reasons I play retro games on their actual hardware. I jumped on the bandwagon back during the Wii days/virtual console. But it wasn't long before I realized that the games I grew up with weren't playing right. So I switch back to actual consoles and carts/discs and haven't been happier. It's the only way to go imo.

I won't promote emulation, but playing on the actual hardware definitely isn't the best way to play. Not if you have a good modern machine to do it. :)

Depends on your definition of best. For me, it's about playing them as closely to how they played when they first came out. And nothing gets you as close to that than playing them on the original system, plugged into a CRT.

CGI-Quality said:
JackHandy said:

Depends on your definition of best. For me, it's about playing them as closely to how they played when they first came out. And nothing gets you as close to that than playing them on the original system, plugged into a CRT.

I can play many games as closely s I could on the older platform on the newer one, only the older platform doesn't allow me to play it with modern resolutions or controllers. 

I fire up SNES games (one of my favorite platforms) and play them exactly as I could on that platform in the 90s, only better

Modern resolutions: OSSC or Retrotink 5X, for example.

Controllers.

CGI-Quality said:
Player2 said:

So, a MiSTer FPGA.

Depending on what you're trying to emulate, but in my case, not quite.

For your SNES games it does everything your rig can, but with increased accuracy, less input lag and less sound latency due to no Windows drivers.