By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chrono cross Remaster runs worse on newer hardware than the original on PS1

GoOnKid said:

Play has no Limits.

Except here, though. The cherry on top of this debacle is that the original PS1 version appears to expire nowadays in the PS stores and can't be played anymore. What a funny little coincidence.

Nah, just an error on the back end for some users in certain regions and wasn't just the Chrono Cross classic affected. Most likely Sony just merging things over for the classic portion of the new Plus in June and will likely be fixed soon as it's not a widespread issue affecting everyone. I have booted up this classic as well as others on my Vita and PS3 just fine. I even deleted them and redownloaded them with no issues. Others have tested and done the same with no issue. Have you? 

The Chrono Cross remaster is a Square Enix IP and release which plays just as bad on Switch. There's no reason for your "Play has no limits" comment and unnecessary dig on Sony as this is not a Sony game or problem and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. 

Around the Network

I'm not sure where this thing about Playstation running it badly, when the issue seems to the same on all platforms the game is on, including the Switch and high-end PCs. I was very much looking forward to the Chrono Cross remaster because I've never had the chance to play the game before, but I think I'll wait and see if they fix these issues before getting it.

Blood_Tears said:
GoOnKid said:

Play has no Limits.

Except here, though. The cherry on top of this debacle is that the original PS1 version appears to expire nowadays in the PS stores and can't be played anymore. What a funny little coincidence.

Nah, just an error on the back end for some users in certain regions and wasn't just the Chrono Cross classic affected. Most likely Sony just merging things over for the classic portion of the new Plus in June and will likely be fixed soon as it's not a widespread issue affecting everyone. I have booted up this classic as well as others on my Vita and PS3 just fine. I even deleted them and redownloaded them with no issues. Others have tested and done the same with no issue. Have you? 

The Chrono Cross remaster is a Square Enix IP and release which plays just as bad on Switch. There's no reason for your "Play has no limits" comment and unnecessary dig on Sony as this is not a Sony game or problem and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. 

Wow, no need to be sensitive like that, I was just having fun. The game runs terrible on all platforms. Happy now?

I never played the original, I have just remembered that I saw a video on that matter and it fits here.

This is another example of a growing list of Square Enix fuck ups and I kinda don't believe that it's just a technical error.

Personally I am just glad this flawed masterpiece got any type of remaster at all. I am playing it on Series X (Switch physical ordered for collection) and still have it on the PS1 as well...the performance isn't really noticeably different without a frame counter and video from DF TBH. Which means all in all, it is still an upgraded port with extra content and I am happy for that. Not that I don't hope a patch comes to smooth the frame rate or that I don't wish more was done to do the game justice, its just at a 20 USD price point I did not expect much more than a basic port to begin with.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I made a thread like a month ago asking what the deuce is going on at Square lol. This release continues their trend of crap releases, either from crap games or crap marketing, that doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title or an HD-2D game. I'm very cautiously optimistic about Forspoken.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Oh boy, so freaking glad SE already remastered their PS2 titles back in the last gen because I feel we would be having something quite awful right now.

Their effort on PS1 remasters has been weird since the beginning however. Any main FF games for it good while other titles got more than shabby ports/remasters coupled with problems.

Then you get remakes from the SNES generation which all end up being quite honest and even fantastic

SE to me has been easily the most inconsistent publisher during the last few years so far.

SaGa Frontier Remastered was an awesome port, even without the extra scenario thrown in. They also tried to put in on screen help to figure out some of the more esoteric game mechanics. That’s what I would hope the gold standard for a remaster would be. 

Their PS1 SNES ports were complete ass. Horrible slowdown, very long load times, muffled, tinny sound. Chrono Trigger was unplayable on PS1. I put up with FF5 because it was the least crappy and because it was the only way to play it back then. 

Eurogamer recommended. They do this often, cannot take them seriously anymore.

This is one of the reasons I play retro games on their actual hardware. I jumped on the bandwagon back during the Wii days/virtual console. But it wasn't long before I realized that the games I grew up with weren't playing right. So I switch back to actual consoles and carts/discs and haven't been happier. It's the only way to go imo.

Software's coding is very important! Sometimes, more important than hardware.

The right/wrong algorithm can make all the difference!

Let's just hope that SE doesn't mess up the remake of Live-A-Live. Please?