By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chrono cross Remaster runs worse on newer hardware than the original on PS1

There are scenes that run at 20fps (in the new remaster mode) instead of 30 in the original according to Eurogamer. Sometimes the frame rate drops to 15 or even 10fps.

You can play the game also in the classic mode with no visual upgrades. Then the game runs like on PS1 with 30 to 10fps depending on the scene.

Even on a high end PC the game has the same performance issues, so the horse power isn't the problem. It looks like the game is emulated instead of remade from the ground up for modern systems.

Unfortunately it's another quick made remaster with a bit of a visual upgrade, but the performance disappoints.

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-new-chrono-cross-remaster-runs-worse-on-ps5-than-the-original-on-ps1

Around the Network

Wait, non-Nintendo devices get terrible ports from lazy third party developers too? I had no idea!

Dulfite said:

Wait, non-Nintendo devices get terrible ports from lazy third party developers too? I had no idea!

I find it more funny that when nintendo gets terrible ports (disgeia 6, RF5) its all the switch's fault

But when playstation gets terrible ports NOW it's on the devs!

(On topic)

Seriously, how did they mess this up?

First crystal chronicles, now this

Kneetos said:
Dulfite said:

I find it more funny that when nintendo gets terrible ports (disgeia 6, RF5) its all the switch's fault

(On topic)

Seriously, how did they mess this up?

First crystal chronicles, now this

There is always some deflecting excuse lol. Maybe they will blame it on lower PS5 sales than anticipated, they couldn't allocate the resources to increase the games fps due to lack of hardware sales lol.

Kneetos said:
Dulfite said:

Often times its because those game that's trying to the port to the Switch are pretty heavy graphic games that were initially built for a more powerful system and not some 20yr old game/console.

Whereas this scenario it's most likely the devs fault because in no way the Switch is weaker than the PS1.

Around the Network
Kneetos said:

Neither of those are ports 

Play has no Limits.

Except here, though. The cherry on top of this debacle is that the original PS1 version appears to expire nowadays in the PS stores and can't be played anymore. What a funny little coincidence.

Its obvious that there's something went awry with its performance and more-so on the PS5. For this game its using its PS4 back-compat mode and it looks like the extra layer of emulation is breaking it.

Game seems to run fine of PS4 and Switch (albeit at a low resolutions) and they said it looks a bit more consistent due to lower resolution scaling well with these upscaled assets and textures, which makes sense considering that this a remaster on top of a game on PS1 which ran at 240p. In any case as poor ports and remaster this is pretty much another one of SE 'remasters' in play.

I bought this on Switch not even checking reviews or anything, because I figured, "Oh it's a port of a PS1 game, I know exactly what to expect." Hopefully that version doesn't have the same issues.

I didn't own a ps1 so I never played CC on the original system. I did play it backwards compatible on the ps2 and it certainly wasn't a solid 30fps when I played it, I remember a lot of frame rate drops when using spells or if there were a lot of enemies.