Is free speech suppressed on the internet's main public squares

Yes 61 54.95%

No 46 41.44%

Undecided 4 3.60%

Total:111
EricHiggin said:

How Elon Musk Learned Rocket Science for SpaceX - Business Insider

Former SpaceX Exec Explains How Elon Musk Taught Himself Rocket Science

Jim Cantrell, who was an aerospace consultant at the time, became SpaceX's first VP of business development and Musk's industry mentor when the company launched in 2002. He says that Musk literally taught himself rocket science by reading textbooks and talking to industry heavyweights.

"He is the smartest guy I've ever met, period," Cantrell tells us. "I know that sounds overblown. But I've met plenty of smart people, and I don't say that lightly. He's absolutely, frickin' amazing. I don't even think he sleeps."

Musk "knows everything about what he's building," Cantrell says, but of course even he understands that he can't master everything. That's why he used Cantrell's network in the aerospace industry to gather some of the best in the business. "It was like spaceapalooza!"

Ok nice, what exactly did Musk build at Space X then? Which technology did he invent on his own there? 

At least the things I know about (the stuff which gave Space X the advantage) is easily to identify whose invention it was. 

But yes, Musk got the right people and was able to find enough investors to invest in Space X with those people having enough resources to build to great things then.

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 23 August 2024

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

How Elon Musk Learned Rocket Science for SpaceX - Business Insider

Former SpaceX Exec Explains How Elon Musk Taught Himself Rocket Science

Jim Cantrell, who was an aerospace consultant at the time, became SpaceX's first VP of business development and Musk's industry mentor when the company launched in 2002. He says that Musk literally taught himself rocket science by reading textbooks and talking to industry heavyweights.

"He is the smartest guy I've ever met, period," Cantrell tells us. "I know that sounds overblown. But I've met plenty of smart people, and I don't say that lightly. He's absolutely, frickin' amazing. I don't even think he sleeps."

Musk "knows everything about what he's building," Cantrell says, but of course even he understands that he can't master everything. That's why he used Cantrell's network in the aerospace industry to gather some of the best in the business. "It was like spaceapalooza!"

I feel like I've seen this before.....

Maria Hill: Since when did you become an expert in thermonuclear physics?
Tony Stark: Last Night.

Musk only wishes he was Tony Stark.

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

EricHiggin said:

Is becoming a political pollster an upgrade or downgrade vs rocket scientist?

To sum it all up. Musk is pretty dumb, yet is a rocket scientist who hasn't invented or built anything himself, and wishes he was fictional rather than real?

So like, the tweet above is the best he could hope to achieve?

For a guy who's built many difficult billion dollar companies, one of which can land and reuse its rockets and has a giant LEO sat constellation, who endorses a candidate that also owns a social media company called TRUTH, I don't really know what to say.

Then again, he's already shooting higher... or lower.

I'm sure Musk doesn't like the idea of immigrants playing a big role in American politics as long as they aren't called Musk so that this is pretty funny.

Btw isn't he they guy who could only safe his companies with money injections from billionaires, paying less to his employees as his competitors (at least in Germany), taking billions in gouvernment support around the world and opening his hands for money from shady sheikhs who got rich from oil and see their people as their slaves (or people from other countries working for them)?

I'm sure he will be awesome for the working class in USA...

And you still didn't answer what he invented or build at Space X. You realize that the self landing and reusable rockets haven't been his Idea, right? He just paid the guy who worked on it the money to come to Space X and THAT guy was the genius behind it. But like I said, at least Musk finds enough people to invest in these projects then. Those who have the ideas don't manage to do that.

crissindahouse said:

I'm sure Musk doesn't like the idea of immigrants playing a big role in American politics as long as they aren't called Musk so that this is pretty funny.

Btw isn't he they guy who could only safe his companies with money injections from billionaires, paying less to his employees as his competitors (at least in Germany), taking billions in gouvernment support around the world and opening his hands for money from shady sheikhs who got rich from oil and see their people as their slaves (or people from other countries working for them)?

And you still didn't answer what he invented or build at Space X. You realize that the self landing and reusable rockets haven't been his Idea, right? He just paid the guy who worked on it the money to come to Space X and THAT guy was the genius behind it. But like I said, at least Musk finds enough people to invest in these projects then. Those who have the ideas don't manage to do that.

Among Elon Musk fans, “immigrant” is typically used as a term for non-whites, whether or not they’re immigrants.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

What's more, if the Soviet Union hadn't collapsed, he wouldn't even have been the first one with reusable rockets, as the Soviets were pretty close to developing them (though landing horizontally like a plane or Space Shuttle rather than vertically with the Energia II, and having the Buran Spaceplane as main payload). And not only was Energia II to be reusable, it was to be fully reusable, which SpaceX still can't do, not even with their Dragon capsules. So had the soviet union survived just a little longer, then SpaceX wouldn't have been anything special anymore apart from how he's landing them.

Europe and the US were also developing reusable rockets at the time, but with the technology of the time, while deemed totally feasible (as the Soviets basically proved before), it wasn't actually economical to do. It's really just around that time when Elon came with the Falcon 9 that it became both feasible AND economical at the same time.

EricHiggin said:

To sum it all up. Musk is pretty dumb, yet is a rocket scientist who hasn't invented or built anything himself, and wishes he was fictional rather than real?

For a guy who's built many difficult billion dollar companies, one of which can land and reuse its rockets and has a giant LEO sat constellation, who endorses a candidate that also owns a social media company called TRUTH, I don't really know what to say.

Do you always make such extreme dichotomic takes?  Musk isn't dumb, he's far smarter than average.  But he's not the genius that many make him out to be.  That's it.  

To the privileged, equality feels like oppression. 

EricHiggin said:

Your post pretty perfectly encapsulates a lot of issues with Elon Musk.

1.) It's pretty much impossible to be an expert at everything.  

No matter how smart someone is, there are always going to be things they don't understand. 500 years ago, the smartest people could reasonably become polymaths. They could understand everything about physics and everything about math, and lots of other things. That's not really possible today. Someone can become a rocket scientist or an brilliant economist or a million other things, but if they claim to be an expert at everything, they're going to be wrong about a lot of things. 

Being smart at X, doesn't mean that they're smart at Y too. In fact a lot of the time, being smart at X prevents them from being smart at Y. Because in order to be an expert at X, they need to spend a lot of time on X, time spent away from studying Y. 

This is an even worse problem for smart people, because they assume they have the answers. They stop checking and researching with the people that actively spend that time studying that second subject.

For example, Elon Musk might have been a genuinely great programmer 20 years ago. I don't know for sure, I've never seen his code. That doesn't mean he's stayed up to date on programming practices. That doesn't even mean that he remembers what the good practices were 20 years ago. People tend to forget things when they stop using them.

2.) Just because Elon owns/created the companies, doesn't mean he understands anything that they're doing.

He didn't single handedly create all of these things. He has teams of scientists and engineers at each of those companies, thousands of employees to figure out how everything should work. Because it's impossible for 1 person to understand everything. 

Renamed said:

Do you always make such extreme dichotomic takes?  Musk isn't dumb, he's far smarter than average.  But he's not the genius that many make him out to be.  That's it.  

Yes, he does. There's no point in engaging with him, because he doesn't believe what he says to begin with.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.