By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which competitor is more responsible for the demise of Sega?

Who is most responsible for Sega’s switch to 3rd Party?

Microsoft 5 6.58%

Nintendo 6 7.89%

Sony 65 85.53%

Total:76
CGI-Quality said:
SegaHeart said:

OK, Thread title is very unpleasant I don't consider anyone that did the most damage except Sega themselfs. I don't agree with the polls, but the OP wanted me to remember those awful times I get weak and don't know what to think anymore. I hate this thread. I think it was made several days ago?

Best advice is to exit because you're doing yourself the disservice by sticking around. We also don't need things to be derailed with thread griping (with all due respect).

Thanks, I'll try to stay off this thread most part. It really is too much Cya hope noone pulls me in here like the Ukraine thread.

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Around the Network

Just my honest 2 cents. Part of the problem is Sega's 'glory' days is grossly overrated. Sonic was never as good as Mario. Phantasy Star was nothing compared to Final Fantasy. Sega never had anything that competed with Metroid and Zelda. Sega had arcade games.... but the world has moved on from arcade style games.

Chrkeller said:

Just my honest 2 cents. Part of the problem is Sega's 'glory' days is grossly overrated. Sonic was never as good as Mario. Phantasy Star was nothing compared to Final Fantasy. Sega never had anything that competed with Metroid and Zelda. Sega had arcade games.... but the world has moved on from arcade style games.

I cannot say much to Phantasy Star, but Sonic's World and the level design and sense of speed was actually quite something compared to Mario. Sonic never transitioned well to 3D and even the 2D titles couldn't add much more after the first, but that first one was good.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'll comeback once until sometime.
Offtopic : If Dreamcast didn't die microsoft would help SEGA further with Dreamcast 2 having Windows XP like Dreamcast had Windows CE, , Dreamcast 3 would had windows 7 and so on and microsoft would of never entered console gaming ever because Sega as Microsoft partner would not see Sega as a failure anymore, Dreamcast would probably gotten Halo, Fable, jade empire, morrow wind etc because Microsoft would convince western devs to go with Sega i guess , not sure?

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

Chrkeller said:

Bold: I would argue that the first 4 mainline PS are on par or even better than the first 4 FF. PS2 is also the first JRPG which has the main heroine died in the story way before the final battle.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
Chrkeller said:

Bold: I would argue that the first 4 mainline PS are on par or even better than the first 4 FF. PS2 is also the first JRPG which has the main heroine died in the story way before the final battle.

I thought Phantasy Star IV was excellent, right up there with FF.  But PS III was awful.  Meanwhile, on the SNES, there was the likes of 4, 6, Trigger, etc.  

SegaHeart said:

I wish this thread would just stop talking about the demise of SEGA and talk about what will bring SEGA Ips to their glory again, Though I have no hope in Yakuza since Nagoshi joined Netease, SMilebit developers that made Jet Set Radio is gone, Panzer Dragoon Creator joined Tencent he'll never come back but with funding he'll make another Panzer Dragon Saga 98% metacritic under Tencent, and 3D sonic is not doing too good hope the new game surprises but keep expectations low. Yuji Naka the creator of NiGhts into Dreams left SEGA and made the terrible Wonderland game. So many Sega developers left It's mostly not looking good and It's only Atlus but they only have Persona and Shin Megami don't doesn't sell alot I think just 1 million, Sega is in deep stuff and Christian White the SOnic Mania developer left SEGA and is making his own game feel like a backstab. Atlus is a 2 franchise ip barely sustainable to SEGA need to acquire a better developer than atlus. Wish Capcom was still 150 million so Sega would be in better position.

Nothing to worry about. This thread will be buried in a few days. I’m surprised it isn’t already. 

I too felt bad when people talked about Sega in this way. I remember when I first saw madden displaying the power of Ps2, i instantly hated EA. I hated Sony for a long time. I loved Xbox because it was a spiritual successor to Dreamcast. Now I realize it’s not Sony’s fault that they were smarter at the business. Microsoft is the one that muscled in and took their seat away. Microsoft brought me lots of joy, but if they stayed out then Dreamcast could have fought on. 

Chrkeller said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

I thought Phantasy Star IV was excellent, right up there with FF.  But PS III was awful.  Meanwhile, on the SNES, there was the likes of 4, 6, Trigger, etc.  

We are comparing the first 4 PS to the first 4 FF, why do you bring 6 and Trigger here?

I: PS > FF (the characters in PS are way better than the generic ones in FF)

II: PS > FF (PS II story is even better than IV, but IV gameplay > II)

III: FF > PS 

IV: PS > FF

So over all, the first 4 PS > the first 4 FF.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Chrkeller said:

We are comparing the first 4 PS to the first 4 FF, why do you bring 6 and Trigger here?

I: PS > FF (the characters in PS are way better than the generic ones in FF)

II: PS > FF (PS II story is even better than IV, but IV gameplay > II)

III: FF > PS 

IV: PS > FF

So over all, the first 4 PS > the first 4 FF.

Because I didn't game much pre SNES/genesis, so can only speak about what I know.  I never played the Master system and didn't touch Final Fantasy until IV.  I can't disagree because I have no idea, minus PS IV versus FF IV....  FF IV all day long.  I loved both, but FF IV gets the nod for the characters.  Kain and Cecil were excellent.

Not that any of it matters.  The core point was Sega has been overrated for decades.  They never were Nintendo.  Perhaps the easiest example is 3D Sonic versus 3D Mario...  not even remotely close.  Plus Sega never had anything remotely close to Zelda and Metroid.  

Ultimately people are welcome to disagree, but there are very few Sega games that have aged well.  Meanwhile Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Super Mario World hold up great even today.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 08 April 2022

Chrkeller said:

Because I didn't game much pre SNES/genesis, so can only speak about what I know.  I never played the Master system and didn't touch Final Fantasy until IV.  I can't disagree because I have no idea, minus PS IV versus FF IV....  FF IV all day long.  I loved both, but FF IV gets the nod for the characters.  Kain and Cecil were excellent.

Not that any of it matters.  The core point was Sega has been overrated for decades.  They never were Nintendo.  Perhaps the easiest example is 3D Sonic versus 3D Mario...  not even remotely close.  Plus Sega never had anything remotely close to Zelda and Metroid.  

Ultimately people are welcome to disagree, but there are very few Sega games that have aged well.  Meanwhile Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Super Mario World hold up great even today.  

Yup, Sega's biggest achievement was that they could position their console (Genesis a.k.a. Mega Drive) as the cool one, but they couldn't hold onto that identity for long. Once Sony had stolen that identity, there wasn't much left for Sega. Their selling point was more about not being Nintendo rather than being Sega.

And correct about the games. If Sega games had really been of the quality they were perceived as at the time of their original release, then these same games would be able to command higher price tags today. But instead they had to be bundled up in packages of 30-50 games where really only a few key titles (such as the mainline Sonic games) do the selling of these collections and even that only works at dumping prices anymore.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments