By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which competitor is more responsible for the demise of Sega?

Who is most responsible for Sega’s switch to 3rd Party?

Microsoft 5 6.58%

Nintendo 6 7.89%

Sony 65 85.53%

Total:76

Sony, 100% positive about it, I lived it all back then as a teenager, I got the dreamcast and all the friends I had who where into gaming were just waiting for the PS2. 

Dreamcast was fantastic, and it changed my life with games like Virtua Tennis, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, Sega Rally, Skies of Arcadia, Resident evil code veronica, soul calibur, crazy taxi, Metropolis street racer, jet set radio, Phantasy star online, Chu Chu rocket and more.

It was my all time favourite console due to the great memories I have, the huge jump in graphics,  the amazing fun games, to this day Skies of arcadia is still my all time favourite RPG, and Chu Chu is still my all time favourite puzzler, and Phantasy star was my first ever play online, and virtua tennis is still my all time favourite sports game, and soul calibur is still my all time favourite fighter, and sonic adventure is still my all time favourite sonic game, and shenmue is still my all time favourite investigating adventure game, and metropolis street racer is still the most fun I have ever had in a racer, great music too.

I remember buying a ps2 after and being so disappointing there was nothing fun to play until I bought final fantasy X.

And that's one of the many reasons why sony won, because they had stuff like Tekken, GT, Metal gear solid, Crash bandicoot, spyro, Silent Hill, Driver, wipeout, and when stuff like Metal gear 2, Ico, Devil may cry, GT2, GTA 3 and many others were announced it was madness back then.

If you only take the first couple years in the market for each console, the dreamcast wins by a long slide, but the damage was already done with the sega saturn, while sony had a lot of hype coming from the PS1.

The fact that the PS2 was to be able to play all PS1 games natively and the fact it was the first console with a DVD player was a huge deal back then, also better graphics, I remember those were the 3 biggest reasons people were giving for waiting to buy a ps2 instead of dreamcast.

Around the Network

Pretty sure I answered the question correctly in the first response guys.

ironmanDX said:

Pretty sure I answered the question correctly in the first response guys.

You did.

Sega was responsible for the demise of Sega.

The end.

Sony deserves credit for taking advantage of the market space, but they were handed a golden egg. Sega self destructed. Nintendo arrogantly went cartridges. Atari was a joke with the Jaguar. The market was open for the taking and kudos to Sony for pouncing.