By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 11, 2022 - (7th Mar - 13th Mar)

Standard J-RPG 2nd week drop for Triangle Strategy and great hold for Elden Ring. Sharp drop for GT7 on PS5 ouch.

Nice to see the Switch getting another week ahead of last year's number, no cliff in sight for it.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Farsala said:

Well considering 15% of all PS5s sold in Japan are completely digital, compared to 0% from PS4. I would say so.

Sony also puts out data suggesting digital rates (WW) have improved since the launch of the PS5 as compared to the PS4 days.

Having a digital only console that sold 200k, with possibly half or more that was scalped won’t really effect digital percentage imo.

IMO that is a ludicrous statement. You could say half or more of the physical PS5s were scalped too.

Digital only consoles definitely affect digital rates. You literally can't buy physical games on them.

Why do you think MS has such good digital rates in the UK? Probably because the only thing MS can ship is the Xbox Series S, which is a digital only console.

With the 1-2-3 triple punch of Horizon, Elden Ring, and GT7 now out, it'll be interesting to see how long they manage to stay in the top 30.

curl-6 said:

With the 1-2-3 triple punch of Horizon, Elden Ring, and GT7 now out, it'll be interesting to see how long they manage to stay in the top 30.

Elden Ring will stay around the longest.  How long can the PS4 SKU of Elden Ring stay in the top 30?  That is the real question.  It will have decent legs at least. How long can it keep Switch from getting more 30/30 weeks?

tbone51 said:
Farsala said:

Well considering 15% of all PS5s sold in Japan are completely digital, compared to 0% from PS4. I would say so.

Sony also puts out data suggesting digital rates (WW) have improved since the launch of the PS5 as compared to the PS4 days.

Having a digital only console that sold 200k, with possibly half or more that was scalped won’t really effect digital percentage imo.

Percentages are relative, so 200k is going impact the digital ratio of a system that has only sold 1.4m. Unless we have reason to believe that digital systems are disproportionately scalped compared to the disc disc, then that 15% figure will absolutely inform the PS5's digital ratio. 

Last edited by Otter - on 21 March 2022

Around the Network
Farsala said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Is there data that suggests that PS5 has a higher digital share than PS4?

Any reports stating that the PS5 digital owners werent digital only on PS4?

I would think whomever was digital only on PS4 wont bother with the PS5 disc version.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
Farsala said:

Any reports stating that the PS5 digital owners werent digital only on PS4?

I would think whomever was digital only on PS4 wont bother with the PS5 disc version.

There will be some of that cross over for sure but given PS5's stock limitations, I don't think you'll get such a selective audience. Lots of people don't fit in with a binary of full digital or fully physical. Of course a digital only SKU forces that of its owners.

I've been fully digital since 2018 but I got disc version just because it was what was available and I see it as more future proof (incase someone wants to lend me a game disc etc) 

Last edited by Otter - on 22 March 2022

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Elden Ring will stay around the longest.  How long can the PS4 SKU of Elden Ring stay in the top 30?  That is the real question.  It will have decent legs at least. How long can it keep Switch from getting more 30/30 weeks?

Yeah PS5 games tend to drop faster than PS4, and Horizon's already on its way out even on PS4. GT7 might stick around for a bit though.

Momotaro has had an insane run.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/452991/momotaro-dentetsu-showa-heisei-reiwa-mo-teiban-sales-top-35-million-units/

Wyrdness said:

Momotaro has had an insane run.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/452991/momotaro-dentetsu-showa-heisei-reiwa-mo-teiban-sales-top-35-million-units/

Third party games don't sell on the Switch.