By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The darkside of Limited Run Games will anger you

Can you just sum it up for me? Asking me to watch 50minutes of a 60minute video is kind of a lot.

Around the Network

To me... LRG (and others like them) are glorified reproduction houses. they take other peoples works and reproduce it in their own packaging. Especially with retro stuff like the NES, SNES and N64 carts. i mean bootlegs is what they used to be called but they some how manage to make it seem legit (if its even legit) under the guise of producing stuff that is no longer in print. They will also take something that was digital and turn it into physical. If the company that created it wanted it in physical then they certainly have the means to get them produced themselves. some places dont want to so they release their wares digitally.

If a game wasnt officially released to retail in physical by the dev/pub... then i dont buy the reproduction that LRG makes. i will stick to buying it digitally.

sundin13 said:

Can you just sum it up for me? Asking me to watch 50minutes of a 60minute video is kind of a lot.

I thought the same thing... but I ended up watching the whole thing. It's very interesting and informative.

Short version: they are a bunch of scammers that try to paint themselves as some sort of guardians of the gaming legacy.

Well I watched the full video.

All I will say is trading card collecting makes LRG look like saints lol.

So basically they are like any other business out there.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

About 20 minutes in. Yeah it's a good video I'm hooked.

They basically make shitty games. They don't get the right to sell them digitally on the playstation. So they aren't allowed to sell physical versions. Which makes those physical versions "unbuyable".

They have a friend hype them up as the most rare game possible. And suddenly have people wanting to but these shitty games simply because they are "rare".

Then they go into why it isn't game preservation if you need to patch them, leave out dlc, or change the content.
Followed by how they scam people by making different cases, different colors etc to try to make people afraid they are missing out.

Great voice, informative and interesting so far. I'm going to keep going.

The fact they also partner and encourage scalping as well as a heavy use of FOMO makes them scummy as hell. Also they failed to sell their own games, so they resorted to this stint, instead of doing it because it's good for game preservation.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

m0ney said:

So basically they are like any other business out there.

Not really. There are companies that do the same think that are much more consumer friendly and actually care about physical legacy. Of course, they still pursue economic benefits and all, but they don't do bullshit like making you sign something that forbids you from suing them, lying about features that end up not being in the game, making very limited prints of games that clearly have quite some demand, scamming people with overpriced products that they say are limited and exclusive, only for them to be released by other publishers far cheaper, releasing multiple colectors edition of a same game, each one with complementary items that you won't be able to get or making you pay to send your product in a damn box.

I'd probably be outraged if I collected physical games, but I'm all about that digital/monthly subscription convenience nowadays. Physical ownership is antiquated to me, and even digital ownership is getting there.

I’ve only encountered one of these games in the wild. Specifically, it was Ys Origin for Switch, at Best Buy, which I bought because it was cheap and it was a chance at a physical copy. Another one of these companies, Strictly Limited Games, was releasing the Space Invaders Invincible Colection, which I passed on because their editions started at $80 and went from there. Other than that I don’t pay them any mind.

Bandorr said:

About 20 minutes in. Yeah it's a good video I'm hooked.

They basically make shitty games. They don't get the right to sell them digitally on the playstation. So they aren't allowed to sell physical versions. Which makes those physical versions "unbuyable".

They have a friend hype them up as the most rare game possible. And suddenly have people wanting to but these shitty games simply because they are "rare".

Then they go into why it isn't game preservation if you need to patch them, leave out dlc, or change the content.
Followed by how they scam people by making different cases, different colors etc to try to make people afraid they are missing out.

Great voice, informative and interesting so far. I'm going to keep going.

"Shitty games" Guess I will throw Ruiner and Astebreed in the bin. Thanks for opening my eyes how awful those games are. I'm in your debt sir.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!