By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 10, 2022 - (28th Feb - 6th Mar)

tbone51 said:
Train wreck said:

The 50/50 doesn't even make sense.  I think its just individuals downplaying Playstation's digital efforts (growth and importance) in Japan because it doesn't fit narratives. 

n’t think your looking at it correctly at all. An example I gave before was astral chain. A game that released in 2019 with about a 70% digital rate. That doesn’t mean all of a sudden all Nintendo releases are gonna be above 50%.

pc market exist and has a huge dark souls following. On PS consoles the game should be between 600k/700k. The other will be pc/Xbox 

A game with 40% of its sales coming from PC in Japan? Unlikely. The ratio for Monster Hunter Word was 7% PC and 93% consoles. 20-80% split PC/consoles are much more believable than 40-60% and I already think 20% is too much 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
tbone51 said:

n’t think your looking at it correctly at all. An example I gave before was astral chain. A game that released in 2019 with about a 70% digital rate. That doesn’t mean all of a sudden all Nintendo releases are gonna be above 50%.

pc market exist and has a huge dark souls following. On PS consoles the game should be between 600k/700k. The other will be pc/Xbox 

A game with 40% of its sales coming from PC in Japan? Unlikely. The ratio for Monster Hunter Word was 7% PC and 93% consoles. 20-80% split PC/consoles are much more believable than 40-60% and I already think 20% is too much 

Talking about a game with a lot of supply issues during its launch. And that said it’s still never the same with all games. PC also has a user base from souls games unlike MH did back when it launched.

we have digital splits for other countries and they aren’t as high unless many believe Japan is the outlier.

30% digital from 400k would put it above 600k

40% digital from 400k at 700k. If you think digital is 60% then I dunno what to say. The game still did absurdly good but I think many still underestimating pc sales in japan. REVIII I believe digital was under 20% for example

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Also according to Famitsu the sold vs shipped ratio was 80-100%. So at maximum, 20% of all famitsu sold through sales would be the amount sitting on shelves.

So saying 350k sold, that would be 70k on shelves.

All I'm saying is that these are factors to be kept in mind if we're going to try to guesstimate a figure. There's also a 10 day differential between Famitsu's figures here and today's PR.

Yep.  People are jumping to conclusions with incomplete data.  I bet we see the game get a restock in tomorrow's data.  We'll have to compare the "1 million" figure with tomorrow's data to get a better idea of what is going on.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 16 March 2022

IcaroRibeiro said:
tbone51 said:

Talking about a game with a lot of supply issues during its launch. And that said it’s still never the same with all games. PC also has a user base from souls games unlike MH did back when it launched.

we have digital splits for other countries and they aren’t as high unless many believe Japan is the outlier.

40% digital from 400k at 700k. If you think digital is 60% then I dunno what to say. The game still did absurdly good but I think many still underestimating pc sales in japan. REVIII I believe digital was under 20% for example

tbone51 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This thread numbers are some days before the 1 million report, I'm guessing 380-390k physical retail and 450-470k physical shipped, which using 800k for console numbers is about 55/45 physical to digital split, give or take

Around the Network

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the biggest PC launch in Japan of all time in terms of full-priced games.
Since From Software publishes it in Japan we might get a confirmation when the Quarterly results come out for Kadokawa Games, if it ends up being the biggest PC launch in the country it's definitely something they would mention.
Also to me, the shipped figures confirm that for certain games PC audience in Japan is likely bigger than the PS5

theDX said:

Elden Ring has kind of outgrown PS itself in popularity, plus those who want a PS5 for Elden Ring now can't get one, so it makes sense that many chose to get it on Steam.

I think otherwise, PS5 launch limits ER success on this platform, Steam is the easy option. And out of Japan Xbox S have a big digital ratio, different of happening with Monster Hunter. Europe you have some countries with a 70% digital ratio on Xbox Series. 

Agente42 said:

I think otherwise, PS5 launch limits ER success on this platform, Steam is the easy option. And out of Japan Xbox S have a big digital ratio, different of happening with Monster Hunter. Europe you have some countries with a 70% digital ratio on Xbox Series. 

Nearly 70% of PlayStation's software sales in FY21 were digital. That's with the majority of PS4/PS5's being disc based models. The PlayStation platform being the outlier for digital sales in Japan doesn't line up with reality. 

PotentHerbs said:
Agente42 said:

Nearly 70% of PlayStation's software sales in FY21 were digital. That's with the majority of PS4/PS5's being disc based models. The PlayStation platform being the outlier for digital sales in Japan doesn't line up with reality. 

in Japan?

the problem is, poisoned be a system seller, lack of hardware to sale. Second, limited the install base the game can´t take good legs. Third, big amounts of japan sales are hijacked by scalpers, so the number of Japanese install bases is lower. 

Out of Japan, it seems Steam is the main driver ( 44% of sales in Europe vs 27% on PS5, it seems, Europe is one of strongest sony market), and better availability of Series S make more positive for Microsoft benefiting from the Elder Ring system seller capacity. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 17 March 2022

Agente42 said:

in Japan?

the problem is, poisoned be a system seller, lack of hardware to sale. Second, limited the install base the game can´t take good legs. Third, big amounts of japan sales are hijacked by scalpers, so the number of Japanese install bases is lower. 

Out of Japan, it seems Steam is the main driver ( 44% of sales in Europe vs 27% on PS5, it seems, Europe is one of strongest sony market), and better availability of Series S make more positive for Microsoft benefiting from the Elder Ring system seller capacity. 

There are nearly 1.5M PS5's sold in Japan so far. Unless you think half of the consoles sold have been scalped, which to be honest sounds like hyperbole, Elden Ring having a total of 200K - 300K+ units sold on the PS5 isn't far fetched at all.

The article that is linked shows the PlayStation platform accounting for over 40% of Elden Ring's sales. I don't see how the availability of the Series S makes Elden Ring a system seller for Xbox when the Xbox versions of the game accounted for the least amount of sales lol.