By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft and Guerilla Game devs trash Elden Ring

Tagged games:

I am surprised no one has posted this yet, or maybe they have and i have missed it.

Recently trending on Tweeter were a couple devs from Ubisoft and GG who posted some finger pointing at Elden Ring basically putting down the game due to its extremely high Metacritic and acclaimed status among the gaming world. In other words, Jealously. This comes not that far from the news when EA blamed Halo Infinite for Battlefield 2042 botched launch.

Since both Tweeter accounts have been locked, it is hard to find the actual conversations made however. thanks to the internet, we have people who have taken screens of the conversations and an article explaining what went down.

I will post the article here for those looking for a good read.

Horizon and Ubisoft Game Developers Lock Twitter Accounts After Posting Bitter Elden Ring Tweets - GamerBraves

Ahmed Salama from Ubisoft and Blake Rebouche from Guerilla Games tweeted the below. Ahmed complained about the score the Elden Ring has received while Blake is criticizing the Quest design etc.

This is poor form from both Ubisoft and GG. 

A fan responded with an image of what Elden Ring's UI would look like if Ubisoft made Elden Ring

The truth could not have been said any better.

Below is the EA article of them blaming Halo Infinite's Surprise Launch which hurt Battlefield 2042.

EA Blames Halo Infinite for Battlefield 2042's Poor Reception (gamerant.com)

Last edited by Azzanation - on 08 March 2022

Around the Network

While I think this really is bad form from both these guys, I would not say it is bad form from the companies themselves. These tweets are far from a company statement. I mean it is really air-headed for them not to at least use different accounts so that it wont shine a negative light in their respective companies. And I get it - it does shine a negative light on their companies.

But my point is it should not. You cannot control everything your workforce is doing.

Having said that (and I am really not a fan of Elden Ring at all) there really seems to be ample reason for other game devs to be jealous.

Azzanation said:

I am surprised no one has posted this yet, or maybe they have and i have missed it.

Recently trending on Tweeter were a couple devs from Ubisoft and GG who posted some finger pointing at Elden Ring basically putting down the game due to its extremely high Metacritic and acclaimed status among the gaming world. In other words, Jealously. This comes not that far from the news when EA blamed Halo Infinite for Battlefield 2042 botched launch.

Since both Tweeter accounts have been locked, it is hard to find the actual conversations made however. thanks to the internet, we have people who have taken screens of the conversations and an article explaining what went down.

I will post the article here for those looking for a good read.

Horizon and Ubisoft Game Developers Lock Twitter Accounts After Posting Bitter Elden Ring Tweets - GamerBraves

Ahmed Salama from Ubisoft and Blake Rebouche from Guerilla Games tweeted the below. Ahmed complained about the score the Elden Ring has received while Blake is criticizing the Quest design etc.

This is poor form from both Ubisoft and GG. 

A fan responded with an image of what Elden Ring's UI would look like if Ubisoft made Elden Ring

The truth could not have been said any better.

Below is the EA article of them blaming Halo Infinite's Surprise Launch which hurt Battlefield 2042.

EA Blames Halo Infinite for Battlefield 2042's Poor Reception (gamerant.com)

It gets worse lol...

Fritanga made a video basically making fun of these devs, including Jaffe, and well, Jaffe, being a well known dev, decided to waste his time in making a "reponse video", to Fritanga, which is just silly to see a dev do.

As a dev, he should keep his distance and honestly shut his mouth when it comes to talking about other games (unless it's a congrats post, as other devs have done in the past)

Frit's vid:

Jaffe's

(Btw, Jaffe had to obviously cycle through Frit's timeline on twitter or possibly wasted more time on Google to get that thumbnail pic he's using, as that's a rather old piece of artwork Frit was given).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

JuliusHackebeil said:

While I think this really is bad form from both these guys, I would not say it is bad form from the companies themselves. These tweets are far from a company statement. I mean it is really air-headed for them not to at least use different accounts so that it wont shine a negative light in their respective companies. And I get it - it does shine a negative light on their companies.

But my point is it should not. You cannot control everything your workforce is doing.

Having said that (and I am really not a fan of Elden Ring at all) there really seems to be ample reason for other game devs to be jealous.

It is extremely bad for the companies they work for, as that kind of posting is purely from their perspective, only they are using accounts that point towards them working for and under said respective companies, which is something one should never do. I imagine these companies are going to have words with these 3, but I imagine that will be behind closed doors and remain to be seen.

You'd be right, the companies cannot control everyone, but these people at the same time, shouldn't even be acting this petty and salty in the first place. They should instead be putting all their focus on making the games they are working on the best they can be, not posting prattling shit on social media.

Now I really do not like Souls games at all, but even I find these dev responses to being absolutely childish and petty, worthy of possibly losing their jobs, or being punished in some other form, because this isn't what a dev should ever be doing at all, personal account or company based.

Last edited by Chazore - on 08 March 2022

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Sad.

Just so sad that Ubisoft and Guerilla games haven't made a game that I have wanted in years.

Guess I will continue being sad while enjoying Elden Ring.

Around the Network
Chazore said:

It gets worse lol...

Fritanga made a video basically making fun of these devs, including Jaffe, and well, Jaffe, being a well known dev, decided to waste his time in making a "reponse video", to Fritanga, which is just silly to see a dev do.

As a dev, he should keep his distance and honestly shut his mouth when it comes to talking about other games (unless it's a congrats post, as other devs have done in the past)

Frit's vid:

Jaffe's

(Btw, Jaffe had to obviously cycle through Frit's timeline on twitter or possibly wasted more time on Google to get that thumbnail pic he's using, as that's a rather old piece of artwork Frit was given).

His probably salty because Elden Ring has surpassed his own games.

JuliusHackebeil said:

As Chazore said before. Let me add that these are professional adults, not kids at school, and this type of behavior feels more like kids at school. They represent the brands they work for and they know that. The same thing could be said for EA when one worker posted about Halo Infinite hurting Battlefield 2042, however when you post anything on social media and are talking about the industry they work for, than they need to be careful. These devs are not showing respect for other peoples work, and that's just plain wrong. In their careers, if they don't have anything nice to say, than they don't say anything at all or at least keep it between them, not via giant social media apps where everyone can see it and its on the internet forever. 

My wife is a Senior UI/UX designer. She got her degree in graphic design, then found herself in a role that morphed into UX design, then got raised to a senior level, then hired somewhere else specifically for that role + UI design. No one talked to her about that kind of position back in college a decade ago, nor when she first started working. Generally speaking, it's a field of work in its infancy still, with many companies/organizations that don't even have UX people or teams. The most successful places do have UX teams, but a lot still have an old-school mentality of just following marketing's advice, rather than doing research to see how consumers interact with the technology and then changing it based on their experience.

Give it time. Eventually, UX will be as big in gaming as anything else, because companies will realize we, as consumers, do not like (in general) cluttered screens, our mentality is impacted by font choices, sizes, colors, and personas are not some evil, annoying creation meant to annoy developers to the end of time but rather are meant to help drive the product.

I'm a Sony fan through and through, but.. yeah. This is just embarrassing. Different games can coexist and there's no need to take potshots like this. I'm going to play and love both Horizon and Elden Ring, there's no problem here. I wonder what sparked this. Is there some pressure about the sales or something? Comparing a multiplat to an exclusive, I mean..

Azzanation said:

JuliusHackebeil said:

As Chazore said before. Let me add that these are professional adults, not kids at school, and this type of behavior feels more like kids at school. They represent the brands they work for and they know that. The same thing could be said for EA when one worker posted about Halo Infinite hurting Battlefield 2042, however when you post anything on social media and are talking about the industry they work for, than they need to be careful. These devs are not showing respect for other peoples work, and that's just plain wrong. In their careers, if they don't have anything nice to say, than they don't say anything at all or at least keep it between them, not via giant social media apps where everyone can see it and its on the internet forever. 

Funny you talk about acting adult yet comment in this manner about Jaffe, who, btw, is currently not a developer.

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Funny you talk about acting adult yet comment in this manner about Jaffe, who, btw, is currently not a developer.

Are you going to add anything to this thread or are you just here to target people? 

Also i never said he was a current developer.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 08 March 2022