By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft and Guerilla Game devs trash Elden Ring

Tagged games:

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

Funny you talk about acting adult yet comment in this manner about Jaffe, who, btw, is currently not a developer.

Are you going to add anything to this thread or are you just here to target people? 

Also i never said he was a current developer.

Elden Ring was reviewed by people who, because of the genre’s well publicized barrier to entry, have a propension above all others towards From Software’s Souls genre. The game was always going to score well, and if you can show an ounce of objectivity, you can agree that the reviewers closed their eyes to the game’s flaws and its many technical issues. While the same isn‘t true for every other games reviewed in recent times.

Now, why would Jaffe be salty about Elden Ring beating his past games’ scores? Why do you instantly go to this notion? I think you don’t know him very well, and as per your usual, simply jump on every wagon your social circle currently hops on.

Last edited by Hynad - on 08 March 2022

Around the Network

Did people complain about Breath of the Wild, which seemed to be the same that was the Elden Ring before Elden Ring? Like are their Ubi and Guerilla developer tweets from 2017 complaining about this, or did something change between now and then?

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

Are you going to add anything to this thread or are you just here to target people? 

Also i never said he was a current developer.

Elden Ring was reviewed by people who, because of its well publicized barrier to entry, have a propension above all others towards From Software’s Souls genre. The game was always going to score well, and if you can show an ounce of objectivity, you can agree that the reviewers closed their eyes to the game’s flaws and its many technical issues. While the same isn‘t true for every other games reviewed in recent times.

Now, why would Jaffe be salty about Elden Ring beating his past games’ scores? Why do you instantly go to this notion? I think you don’t know him very well, and as per your usual, simply jump on every wagon your social media circle currently hops on.

Or maybe, The Elden Ring is just that good of a game that it surpasses its own flaws. Zelda BOTW also had frame rate issues yet its one of the best games ever made and many will agree. Why is BOTW allowed to get away with it yet Elden Ring cannot? Games aren't just about visuals and graphics. What Elden Ring does right is create a world that doesn't feel like every copy and paste openworld game. What it does right, it does exceptional well. Thats coming from someone who isn't a Souls fan.

As for Jaffe, its quite ironic that an Ex Sony dev is bashing the game, than again in this same thread, so is a Dev from GG. I watched Jaffes video of his thoughts on the Elden Ring and he was contradicting his own logic on many bases. Many times he said the graphics on the Elden Ring doesn't look that great than goes on and tells people that graphics aren't everything. He goes on and says the game is absolutely amazing and some will consider it the best game ever made, yet questions why the game is scored so well. I like Jaffe, i watch his videos all the time, however with the Elden Ring, he actually sounds salty, that's just my opinion and the reason i think his salty is because instead of giving valid points to his view, he was instead trying to make excuses for it.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 08 March 2022

The Ubisoft mock up of Elden ring isn't that fair tho, because you can turn (almost?) all hud elements off. I am not protecting the tweets from the devs but Ubisoft with valhalla gave you options as 'do you want to see markers on the map? Do you want to see your health/Weapons of choice/quests etc' I infact praised Ubisoft for giving those options.

twintail said:
Azzanation said:

This is poor form from both Ubisoft and GG. 

They're criticizing reviewers for not making mention of the issues these individual devs are critical of. Like, it's right there in the first tweet.

None of them are saying ER is a bad game, let along trashing it. But rather that the issues they feel the game has are barely, if at all, mentioned in reviews. 

Anecdotally speaking, I'd agree with them: the few reviews I did look over never mentioned anything about UX, PC performance (or PS5) or quest design. 

BOTW wasn't criticized for its performance yet sits as one of the best games ever made. The issue with these devs is that they focus on the wrong things that make a game great. Ubisoft and Guerrilla follow very similar game designs and if you haven't notice, they aren't exactly pushing the industry forward in any way outside of visuals. This is where Elden Ring nails it. Its gameplay first and offers so much replay value. Elden Ring follows the BOTW mentality and that's creating a world that gamers get immersed in and it oozes atmosphere. 

Elden Ring is just simply that good of a game that its flaws are overshadowed. The issues with these devs is they come across as jealous. They knew Elden Ring was coming out, they knew it was winning awards for most anticipated game yet GG decided to release there game 1 week pier to Elden Ring while Assassins Creed hasnt done anything amazing since Black Flag. That is not From Software's fault.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:

The Ubisoft mock up of Elden ring isn't that fair tho, because you can turn (almost?) all hud elements off. I am not protecting the tweets from the devs but Ubisoft with valhalla gave you options as 'do you want to see markers on the map? Do you want to see your health/Weapons of choice/quests etc' I infact praised Ubisoft for giving those options.

The difference is Assassins Creed is required to be played with the markers on. Its not meant to be turned off unless taking screenshots or showing off visuals. The core design of the games require the markers or you will have trouble. Elden Ring is designed in a very different way and it works without cluttering the screen. 

Sure the options are great, however its not a recommended way to play those games.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 08 March 2022

Azzanation said:
konnichiwa said:

The difference is Assassins Creed is required to be played with the markers on. Its not meant to be turned off unless taking screenshots or showing off visuals. The core design of the games require the markers or you will have trouble. Elden Ring is designed in a very different way and it works without cluttering the screen. 

Sure the options are great however its not a recommend way to play those games.

No it isn't, I literally turned most of and you will find groups(on reddit etc) who do the same. The game literally asks you at the start of the game what hud elements you want and says you can turn of more.  Exploring and trouble is exactly what some prefer.   

Man, this is a bad look for them. Adults behaving like jealous kids. Its a bit embarrassing.

Edit - Whatever is Blake's specific problem with "Quest design"??? I've been playing the game for a while now and I can see no issue whatsoever, none worth of attention at least.

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 08 March 2022

Trying to push the blame to the companies for employees (that aren't representatives of the companies nor in very high management positions) doing dumb stuff is dumber than the behavior of these people.
Also trying to deny the score of Elden Ring is very inflated, several of the issues on the game would receive harsh criticism and points deducted if it was any other game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."