By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will 2022 be Nintendo's best year ever?

Will 2022 be Nintendo's best year ever?

Yes 14 40.00%

No 12 34.29%

It'll be on par with 2017 5 14.29%

I have another year in mi... 4 11.43%

Total:35
Kakadu18 said:
DavidValbu said:

I don't want to sound pesimistic. If Nintendo is realising 9th Pokemon generación this holiday season... It is a huge comercial Megaton for this Christmas, I am afraid this impacts on Zelda Breath of the Wild sequel being pushed to 2023. There is no way I see Nintendo releasing both titles at the end of 2022.

So Cross out from that list Zelda and Mario and Rabbids 2, and you Will find out that this year is not so fantastic.

Pokémon gen 9 releasing this holiday is not impacting their decision to launch Zelda this year. Or do you think Nintendo decided for gen 9 to release this year only last week?

That’s my thoughts, too. They’re mostly two different demographics with two different target audiences. While overlap exists, it’s not enough that they’re going to push one of the games months and months away. Both games could sell 8 million+ opening week if they were released the same week. They might have a 1-2 week buffer for ad space bandwidth. Nintendo will probably want to go full blast on ads during each game’s launch week.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Best year for the Switch absolutely. No other year even comes close, assuming we don't start hearing about delays (already rumored Mario+Rabbids could get delayed to next year). But if everything hits that is supposed to then yeah this is by far Switch's best year.

Jumpin said:
Kakadu18 said:

Pokémon gen 9 releasing this holiday is not impacting their decision to launch Zelda this year. Or do you think Nintendo decided for gen 9 to release this year only last week?

That’s my thoughts, too. They’re mostly two different demographics with two different target audiences. While overlap exists, it’s not enough that they’re going to push one of the games months and months away. Both games could sell 8 million+ opening week if they were released the same week. They might have a 1-2 week buffer for ad space bandwidth. Nintendo will probably want to go full blast on ads during each game’s launch week.

Yeah, I don't get the "Pokemon 9 is coming so BotW2 must not be" argument. The two have nothing to do with one another, and Nintendo has no rule or precedent for not releasing two major games during a holiday season. I typically expect either one or two major first party games to release during the holidays, there is nothing strange about 2 games. Like 2018 had Let's Go and Smash. Probably one will hit in November and the other in early December, with a couple weeks between them.

Jpcc86 said:

All years are Nintendo's best year.

You must not have lived through the Wii U era.

I'm not sure enough to say this is the best Nintendo year EVER yet cause I haven't done enough research on the game releases every year for Nintendo. However, when it comes to the Switch id definitely say 2022 is the Switch's best year and has topped 2017. The thing that's makes 2017 better is that all the games releasing are new original games and not just ports, and we're getting more games than in 2017. 12 Nintendo Published games in 2022 so nearly at a rate of 1 new game per month.

For me the ranking goes like:
1.Switch 2022
2.Switch 2017
3.Switch 2021
4.Switch 2019
5.Switch 2020
6.Switch 2018

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

In USD, fiscal year revenue(Ends March 31)

FYRev (M USD)
2009$18,386
2008$16,724
2021$16,534
2010$15,778
2022$14,354 (est)
2011$12,172
2020$12,038
2019$10,805
2018$9,501
2012$8,225

I believe if you track profit instead of revenue, this this will be their highest fiscal year.

Jpcc86 said:

All years are Nintendo's best year.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It'll probably be on par with 2017, which was either their best year or very close to their best.
But of course, it will be more accurate to discuss this once most or all of the year is over. Despite the fact that BOTW is 5 years old now and the sequel was announced years ago, it's still not improbable for the sequel to get pushed into 2023. BOTW 2 could be what tips the scales for 2022 being the best or close to it.
There's also a chance Bayonetta 3 and Mario+Rabbids 2 get delayed to next year. And among other factors, we can't judge how good games truly are until they're released and played.
But the lineup this year seems really impressive. I'm very pleased with it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Shouldn't really compare until September. Nintendo sometimes launches games 2-3 months after announcing them in the first place (Paper Mario TOK). So we may get a big game announced in September that launches in December. We are probably aware of 2/3's of the games coming this year at this point.

Mar1217 said:
Dulfite said:

Shouldn't really compare until September. Nintendo sometimes launches games 2-3 months after announcing them in the first place (Paper Mario TOK). So we may get a big game announced in September that launches in December. We are probably aware of 2/3's of the games coming this year at this point.

That depends on what will see around summer when we get the next Direct, yeah. I'm pretty sure most of the schedule until August will remain as it is without addition or changes.

That will be impactful for sure, but the point of my post is that even up to September we could get announcements for games launching this year that we don't even know are being made prior to their September announcement.