By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you consider the Gameboy Color a true successor to the Gameboy or just a mid-gen refresh upgrade?

Do you consider the Gameboy Color to be a true successor to the Gameboy?

Yes 9 17.65%

No, just a mid gen revision/upgrade 42 82.35%

Total:51

What do you guys think? Nintendo seems to group the Gameboy & Gameboy color together in sales figures as if they're the same system but that seems debatable if they are. The Color had a large amount of exclusive games and had more capable hardware of course with a better display and graphical experience.

While yes stuff like the DSI & New 3DS had a few exclusive games and more powerful hardware, there were barely any exclusive games compared to the Gameboy color to justify calling the color just a mid gen refresh.

Out of 576 games released for the Gameboy Color, only 30% were compatible with the OG Gameboy. That is way too many exclusive games to not be considered a successor, hundreds of games right there.

But what do you guys think, I look at the Gameboy Color as a successor tbh.

Last edited by javi741 - on 24 February 2022

Around the Network

Late gen refresh. Similar to DSi and New 3DS.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

It's a newer system with it's own extensive game library. Games made for the gameboy color were marketed as gameboy color games and not general gameboy games.

javi741 said:

What do you guys think? Nintendo seems to group the Gameboy & Gameboy color together in sales figures as if they're the same system but that seems debatable if they are. The Color had a large amount of exclusive games and had more capable hardware of course with a better display and graphical experience.

While yes stuff like the DSI & New 3DS had a few exclusive games and more powerful hardware, there were barely any exclusive games compared to the Gameboy color to justify calling the color just a mid gen refresh.

Out of 576 games released for the Gameboy Color, only 30% were compatible with the OG Gameboy. That is way too many exclusive games to not be considered a successor, hundreds of games right there.

But what do you guys think, I look at the Gameboy Color as a successor tbh.

Their creator always saw them as one gen only, that's your answer.

Trentonater said:

It's a newer system with it's own extensive game library. Games made for the gameboy color were marketed as gameboy color games and not general gameboy games.

Same as the DSi and New 3DS, but those aren't successors. They're revisions of the same system.

Also a lot of games marked as "Gameboy Color" on the box do work on the Gameboy. Pokemon Gold and Silver are just 2 examples. If the game card is the same as a Gameboy card then it will work in the Gameboy. The ones that specifically are marked "Gameboy Color" on the game card cannot work on the Gameboy.

Around the Network

Class it as both.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Even though going from B&W to Color is a big improvement, but it is still midgen refresh for me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I voted no, but I have no strong opinion either way. Generations aren’t well defined and generally determined by arbitrary criteria, I think either answer is legit from a conceptual standpoint.

I voted no, because even though it has a lot of exclusive titles and titles which utilize exclusive features on it, Nintendo didn’t consider it their next console. It was an offshoot of the original Gameboy. GBA was what they positioned as the system that would replace GB. DS wasn’t originally a new generation either, a “third pillar” they called it; it kind of grew into the GBA successor. Generations are all marketing or boxes of convenience, for the most part.

Arguing the chipset is what matters isn’t the best argument because Wii used a beefed up GameCube chipset. So, that argument doesn’t sway me. we have a precedent that consoles can have similar chipsets and be different generations.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Sogreblute said:
Trentonater said:

Same as the DSi and New 3DS, but those aren't successors. They're revisions of the same system.

Also a lot of games marked as "Gameboy Color" on the box do work on the Gameboy. Pokemon Gold and Silver are just 2 examples. If the game card is the same as a Gameboy card then it will work in the Gameboy. The ones that specifically are marked "Gameboy Color" on the game card cannot work on the Gameboy.

Except the branding for new 3ds only applied to the very small number of exclusives. The gameboy color had it's own extensive ecosystem but with backwords compatibility which was standard. Is the Xbox series a mid-gen refresh? I doubt you would say so. Games that have gotten zero enhancements for the xbox series OR xbox one X have new physical releases list xbox series as ones of the supported consoles on the box such as tekken 7. Tekken 7 is very much only an Xbox one game. Is it all one console because that's what microsoft says? Tnere is no universal standard and manufacturers can say whatever they want. Sony can say all of their backwards compatible platforms are one console.

It's a little from column A and a little from column B. The market sure did respond to Gameboy hardware around the time the Gameboy Color was released. I am not sure how much of that has to do with Pokemon and how much has to do with the Color model. It's kind of a grey area.

What I will say is that Nintendo is not the one who determines what the successor to the Gameboy is.  The market decides what the successor is.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 25 February 2022