By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia and Ukraine flashpoint

KiigelHeart said:
Ryuu96 said:

Meanwhile Bakhmut is not looking good, I hope Ukraine knows what they're doing there because it looks like an encirclement could happen and American officials have been telling them to abandon it for a while now, stating it has little tactical significance so a few are confused why Ukraine is so insistent on holding it but Ukraine knows more than us so I just hope they have a good reason.

Yeah this is an odd situation, I expected Ukraine retreat a long while ago. Maybe it's just too good of an opportiny to wear out Russian army and resources? A more unpleasant possibility could be Ukraine is desperately holding on because Russia would advance to burn down other cities as well.

But did US officials tell them abandon Bakhmut or advice not to send too much resources there? I'd agree they shouldn't defend Bakhmut at the expense of possible large counter-offensive.

Anyway, let's hope and trust Ukraine knows what it's doing. 

I feel the worst scenario would be Ukraine holding onto it for political reasons...There's been a big dance made about Bakhmut from Russia/Wagner and Ukraine have been holding out for months, so they maybe don't want to give Russia that "win" now, I hope that isn't the case.

There is talks about Wagner sending skilled fighters to Bakhmut and throwing everything they have at it and looking at Russia being smashed everywhere else such as Vuhledar, it could be an opportunity to get rid of some of Russia's more skilled troops.

US officials IIRC basically expressed concern that Ukraine was using too much resources to hold onto Bakhmut, I think reading between the lines they would want Ukraine to abandon Bakhmut for more easily defended positions and think the cost/benefit is too small in holding onto Bakhmut.

It's worrying, I just hope they abandon it before encirclement, I would hate to see Ukraine troops get trapped in there, for now there is still a route out but it's growing smaller everyday.

Ukraine is still building up forced around Zaporizhzhia so I'm hopeful it won't affect a counteroffensive there.

Around the Network

It's got to be either political or Ukraine thinking they can best achieve their objectives by holding out as long as they can in Bakhmut, contrary to what everyone else seems to be thinking. I suspect Ukraine thinks that due to the urban environment, they can inflict heavier Russian casualties with relatively little equipment than they would should they fall back to other positions. I kind of think all the experts have been saying that it's not worth defending so heavily due to little strategic importance, but could Ukraine really do much better elsewhere? If they have to make their stand somewhere, perhaps they think they might just as well make it in Bakhmut? Does anyone know where the experts think Ukraine should fall back to and whether Russia would make any large gains because of that?

Ryuu96 said:

What is this, tower defence?

From what we saw on te news here today, some Wagner group mercenaries are already in eastern Bakmut, as some video had been geolocated to be in the city.

As such, I do think Bakhmut is about to fall, as the Russians are now also moving forward in the center of their offensive. The center of Bakhmut is still Ukrainian, but I don't think it will much longer as the Wagner mercenaries ain't far away from it anymore.

Zkuq said:

It's got to be either political or Ukraine thinking they can best achieve their objectives by holding out as long as they can in Bakhmut, contrary to what everyone else seems to be thinking. I suspect Ukraine thinks that due to the urban environment, they can inflict heavier Russian casualties with relatively little equipment than they would should they fall back to other positions. I kind of think all the experts have been saying that it's not worth defending so heavily due to little strategic importance, but could Ukraine really do much better elsewhere? If they have to make their stand somewhere, perhaps they think they might just as well make it in Bakhmut? Does anyone know where the experts think Ukraine should fall back to and whether Russia would make any large gains because of that?

Ryuu96 said:

What is this, tower defence?

My thoughts exactly.

I just hope they can get out before encirclement and don't leave behind any valuable equipment because they're cutting it really tight.

Mud season has arrived which will slow down any further advancements until a bit later.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 02 March 2023

Day to day analyse of the conflict, this one is a detailed look at the current state in Bakhmut 

Around the Network

They blew up the bridges around Bakhmut today so I guess they will leave the city pretty soon.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 03 March 2023

Trenches in the south by the sea... Did they have their map upside down, or do they really expect a maritime invasion?

S.Peelman said:

Trenches in the south by the sea... Did they have their map upside down, or do they really expect a maritime invasion?

Lol. Just for show. Russia's military being dumb, the usual.

Ukraine has no way of invading by sea.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 03 March 2023