By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Aloy has displaced Lara Croft!

What kind of alloy?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

I mean, Tomb Raider in general is recognized for being a ground breaking videogame. Historic significant.

Horizon is more popular, but it's just another video game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would say half the world population at least in the West knows Lara Croft. That's definitely not the case with Aloy who most will have never heard of. The game is beloved by many but outside of this group and some other gamers on the internet, the character is pretty irrelevant. I would say even many gamers especially on PC and Switch won't know who that is. I think someone like Nathan Drake is way above her in popularity and even he isn't as well knows as Lara Croft. The success of a game doesn't automatically make the protagonist a world wide super star^^ She isn't Lara Croft, Mario or Pikachu (yet)

Some CoD or GTA guy is also not the same category even with massive sales. 

Despite the visual issues, I'm really getting into the game. Actually thanks to the visual issues, I'm getting into playing on my projector again in 1080p SDR. Performance mode looks pretty good down scaled to 1080p. You still get all the high fidelity of the world while down sampling provides the lacking AA that's missing in 4K and it compensates for the over sharpening when up scaled to 4K. It also reduces most of the shimmering on foliage (Still notice it when looking for it, but not distracting as it is playing in 4K)

HDR isn't working right in the game, or at least not what you would expect from it. It simply enhances the contrast while still doing the wild color and brightness 'fake HDR' changes depending on what's on screen. The same problem RDR2 had, not using HDR to show more detail (indoor and outside visible at the same time) just using it to make the contrast more painful on your eyes :/ So not missing that at all in SDR. I have the in game brightness set to 0%, still too bright but do-able.

I'm getting a disillusioned with HDR. It's not brand new tech anymore yet most games keep using it wrong or simply tacking it on at the end of the render pipeline. GT Sport still hast the best looking HDR implementation, over 4 years old now. 4K also makes moving images more rough to look at thanks to all the temporal upscaling techniques at work. Downsampling or rather super sampling simply provides a far more stable, nicer picture than all the reconstruction techniques can ever achieve.

It's not all like that, Rift Apart looks amazing in 4K HDR (although HDR is pretty muted) with a very stable picture. Horizon FW is a mess in 4K HDR.
'Retro gaming' on my 2007 projector, playing a 2022 game on 92" 1080p screen. Loving it! The main drawback of a projector is poor black level and lower contrast. Horizon FW has poor black level and contrast no matter what setting you try, so a perfect fit lol. (Not missing any shadow detail which is a problem when on screen contrast is high)

The game was made for 1080p projectors!

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 21 February 2022