By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In retrospect, the Nintendo 3DS had pretty weak third party support

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Compared to the DS? Yeah, I guess the 3DS had weak support. Compared to the N64 or Wii U? 3DS had amazing support.

It's a matter of perspective.

Anything will look better than the Wii U's third party support, lol.

Around the Network

I don't think I can agree. Maybe the DS had a better 3rd-party library (I don't really know, as in the DS gen I entered console gaming so I am not so aware about that), but the 3DS at least had decent support.

3DS got the best Resident Evil in the lull between 4 and 7 - Resident Evil: Revelations. While the main console RE games were kinda meh, this game rocked.

Atlus was all in on 3DS, I cannot count all the SMT games and Etrian Odyssey. It also got Persona Q.

And you have multiple Monster Hunter games, Yokai Watch, lots of Lego games, Dragon Quest games, the new Visual novel hype with Professor Layton and Ace Attorney, Bravely Default.

So no, I don't think the 3DS 3rd party library was weak. Was it as strong as some other device... probably not. But it was in no way weak.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 12 February 2022

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

I don't think I can agree. Maybe the DS had a better 3rd-party library (I don't really know, as in the DS gen I entered console gaming so I am not so aware about that), but the 3DS at least had decent support.

3DS got the best Resident Evil in the lull between 4 and 7 - Resident Evil: Revelations. While the main console RE games were kinda meh, this game rocked.

Atlus was all in on 3DS, I cannot count all the SMT games and Etrian Odyssey. It also got Persona Q.

And you have multiple Monster Hunter games, Yokai Watch, lots of Lego games, Dragon Quest games, the new Visual novel hype with Professor Layton and Ace Attorney, Bravely Default.

So no, I don't think the 3DS 3rd party library was weak. Was it as strong as some other device... probably not. But it was in no way weak.

It wasn't awful on its own... But when you compare it to it's predecessor, or even other Nintendo handhelds, it feels like a massive downgrade. I'd say the 3DS' support was about as good as the GameCube or Wii's it's not amazing, but it's generally okay.

The consolidation of popular handheld and powerful console into one device has helped Nintendo tremendously in gaining the attention of AAA third party developers. Now they can release games on a beefier device that is more successful then they are used to, making it easier to develop and make profit. Win win.

I been saying this forever. Very low effort from 3rd parties on what they produced(now just how much)for the 3DS. I think a big part of problem was the 3DS was just and upgraded DS and unlike the rest of Nintendo's handhelds it did not force developers to do new things. More of what we got on DS and I was super tired of the DS in its later years.