By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

@RolStoppable I had trouble finding it too. Click on Financial Highlights from Financial Data, and then you'll find it at the bottom saying "Please see Consolidated Statements of Income Transition in Historical Data for details about prior fiscal years.".

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Sogreblute said:

Just to add to this. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/historical_data/index.html

The "Consolidated Sales Transition by Region" shows all of Nintendo's total hardware and software shipments and splits each revision (except GB and GBC), so we can see how much each model sold. I never seen anyone post this either here or on Twitter, so I think this would help with showing the true sales of each Nintendo system in each region and how much each revision sold.

This page is well-hidden, so I have no idea how long it even exists yet. There's no link to historical data from the Finance index page, so unless someone knows this specific URL you posted, there's no way to easily navigate there.

I guess somebody saw this on the Japanese language version of Nintendo's corporate website and tried historical_data by chance on the English URL prefixes and a translated version actually popped up. Because how else are you going to find this in the first place.

I guess that's the case. But with this we now can see each hardware shipment and know exactly how much each systems sold specifically and when they were discontinued. Like, we now know the New 3DS XL was discontinued in 2018, the 2DS in 2019, and the New 2DS XL in 2020. 

burninmylight said:

"If Nintendo would have launched the Switch the holiday season before that March, the lifetime numbers would be higher."

That's an interesting question. I don't think things play out 1:1, i.e. having this first holidays season will make higher lifetime sales. Sure, if you start later with sales you have to catch up but on the other hand with this first holiday sales, the saturation point would also have been reached a bit earlier, meaning that by about today we would have about the same lifetime sales (higher initial sales with earlier reach of saturation point vs. lower initial sales with later saturation point). Personaly, once the Switch is discontinued I guess we would have about the same lifetime sales.

Sogreblute said:

Just to add to this. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/historical_data/index.html

The "Consolidated Sales Transition by Region" shows all of Nintendo's total hardware and software shipments and splits each revision (except GB and GBC), so we can see how much each model sold. I never seen anyone post this either here or on Twitter, so I think this would help with showing the true sales of each Nintendo system in each region and how much each revision sold.

There is also this (below) that was posted by a Nintendo Employee on Neogaf 10 years ago, it goes back to 1982 which is how i got the global yearly totals for SNES.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 25 February 2024

Radek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Brazillian here. Switch will keep irrelevant. Even among hardcore gamers the system is no longer trending. Despite being cost-prohibitive the PS5 and its peripherals are easily outselling Switch since we got some stock (2022)

If Nintendo wanted do capitalize the buzz of the console they should have done it between 2019 and 2021, but the company only started to officially selling the Switch here in 2020 and physical games in 2022 I think. Too late 

Nintendo also don't localize their games to Brazil, a bummer for supposed a family friend console. Most brazillians only speak portuguese and certainly no kids here have two languages before the age of 10, baring the case of having foreign parents 

I often see games on Switch in Portuguese, is it European Portuguese not Brazilian?

It's is European Portuguese. But those titles are few. Among my games I only remember Mario Kart 8 being localized are they getting New translations now ?

Around the Network

160rmf said:

It's Portuguese regardless, any portuguese speaker can read and understand despite some different expressions. Since most Nintendo games don't have VA or a full deep narrative, when we talk about Nintendo games suitable for kids, I fail to see the point his trying to make. 

Try to play RPGs like Pokemon or simulation games like Animal Crossing, or even action adventure like Zelda in a language you know nothing. Maybe Russian? 

Then you will see the point...

IcaroRibeiro said:

160rmf said:

It's Portuguese regardless, any portuguese speaker can read and understand despite some different expressions. Since most Nintendo games don't have VA or a full deep narrative, when we talk about Nintendo games suitable for kids, I fail to see the point his trying to make. 

Try to play RPGs like Pokemon or simulation games like Animal Crossing, or even action adventure like Zelda in a language you know nothing. Maybe Russian? 

Fair enough, I see. But thankfully Spanish is not that weird for portuguese speakers. Not ideal I know, but it helps a lot, specially for simple commands.

I can only speak for myself, but the language barrier didn't stopped my fixation for games (specially Nintendo) in the slightly when I was a kid (No foreign parents or relatives to help). And in that time portuguese translation was a rarity in any platform.

Last edited by 160rmf - on 25 February 2024

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Fair enough, I see. But thankfully Spanish is not that weird for portuguese speakers. Not ideal I know, but it helps a lot, specially for simple commands.

I can only speak for myself, but the language barrier didn't stopped my fixation for games in the slightly when I was a kid. And in that time portuguese translation was rarity in any platform 

It didn't to me as well but it turned the experience of liking some games a very convoluted proccess. I needed to play FF VII reading a guide to understand the story. 

I remember getting stucked in games like Chrono Cross several times because I couldn't understand some missions and goals. 

160rmf said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I can only speak for myself, but the language barrier didn't stopped my fixation for games (specially Nintendo) in the slightly when I was a kid (No foreign parents or relatives to help). And in that time portuguese translation was a rarity in any platform.

Language barriers can be perplexing but even so games aren’t that difficult to understand. I enjoy playing games in Japanese, and I don’t really know it, but I am able to progress to 100% games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

160rmf said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Thankfully, certain genre of games could be pretty straightforward in their objectives and the way to follow them. 

I'm French Canadian and my English sucked for most of my teenage years until I got to college where I made true strides in my understanding of it.

I basically couldn't get into heavy story games and RPGs in general. I played some of them during my formatting years, but I clearly did not understood what I was reading and going with the linear motions of some games. 

For example, one game I was playing a lot on our family PS2 early on, The Bouncer, had color coded stat upgrades. Not knowing what they meant, I just thought the colors were referencing the characters themselves and not the HP, Attack and Defense stats lol. Our builds were freaking awful hahaha 😂

Thankfully, my interest in games, the lack of more widespread French translations for most games I played and ultimately, the flow of some of those scripts in my language which I judged awful most of the time made me switch to play mainly in English anyway.

Of course, not everyone will be fortunate enough to learn their way through a 2nd language but I'd say it is worth it if you can. 

Just gotta choose between English or Japanese haha. Or both if you're crazy enough !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909