By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

IcaroRibeiro said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Ngl this post of yours didn’t add to the discussion and I’m disappointed in you.

There is no doubt, if the Switch launched in Nov 2016 then the Switch would be ahead by 4-6M units. So personally I feel like this particular discussion has been resolved.

I’m wondering if Mexico and South America will start to purchase more Switch units in the next 2 years. Does anyone else think they will be part of the last sale pushers? Or will they continue to be “irrelevant”?

Brazillian here. Switch will keep irrelevant. Even among hardcore gamers the system is no longer trending. Despite being cost-prohibitive the PS5 and its peripherals are easily outselling Switch since we got some stock (2022)

If Nintendo wanted do capitalize the buzz of the console they should have done it between 2019 and 2021, but the company only started to officially selling the Switch here in 2020 and physical games in 2022 I think. Too late 

Nintendo also don't localize their games to Brazil, a bummer for supposed a family friend console. Most brazillians only speak portuguese and certainly no kids here have two languages before the age of 10, baring the case of having foreign parents 

I often see games on Switch in Portuguese, is it European Portuguese not Brazilian?

Around the Network

Nintendo Switch hardware shipments per fiscal year (millions of units) compared to some other Nintendo platforms, Switch Forecasted to ship 15.50 million in FY7.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 25 February 2024

Radek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Brazillian here. Switch will keep irrelevant. Even among hardcore gamers the system is no longer trending. Despite being cost-prohibitive the PS5 and its peripherals are easily outselling Switch since we got some stock (2022)

If Nintendo wanted do capitalize the buzz of the console they should have done it between 2019 and 2021, but the company only started to officially selling the Switch here in 2020 and physical games in 2022 I think. Too late 

Nintendo also don't localize their games to Brazil, a bummer for supposed a family friend console. Most brazillians only speak portuguese and certainly no kids here have two languages before the age of 10, baring the case of having foreign parents 

I often see games on Switch in Portuguese, is it European Portuguese not Brazilian?

It's Portuguese regardless, any portuguese speaker can read and understand despite some different expressions. Since most Nintendo games don't have VA or a full deep narrative, when we talk about Nintendo games suitable for kids, I fail to see the point his trying to make.

The "hardcore" Brazillian is totally biased towards Sony and anti-Nintendo. It is pretty common and acceptable we see them on internet replicating the most stupid fallacies like "Nintendo is only for kids", "Nintendo only releases Mario and Zelda". So that's why Sony sells way better despite 500% difference in price with Nintendo consoles in official channels 

But even with that, I see the Switch situation here better than any other Nintendo system ever. Brazillian Eshop was a pleasant surprise in regards to promotions 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 25 February 2024

We reap what we sow

ShadowLink93 said:

Nintendo Switch hardware shipments per fiscal year compared to some other Nintendo platforms, Switch Forecasted to ship 15.50 million in FY7.

Just to add to this. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/historical_data/index.html

The "Consolidated Sales Transition by Region" shows all of Nintendo's total hardware and software shipments and splits each revision (except GB and GBC), so we can see how much each model sold. I never seen anyone post this either here or on Twitter, so I think this would help with showing the true sales of each Nintendo system in each region and how much each revision sold.

Norion said:

Cause the sooner something comes out the sooner manufacturing begins for it. If it comes out in November it'll obviously have a higher install base by April compared to it coming out March next year and unless there's major stock issues it'll sell better November-December compared to its first months being March-April due to things like Christmas demand. I didn't expect I'd have to explain something this basic but there ya go.

For the rest of your reply you seem strangely incapable of understanding the difference between me saying how I feel about the Switch 2 launching early next year instead of late this year and me bringing up a hypothetical to illustrate a point in response to someone saying Spring is a better launch window.

So it's taken you at least half a dozen replies to clarify that, and only after I pretty much said it for you, then Rol expounded on it.

You seem strangely incapable of expressing how you feel about the Switch 2 launching early next year instead of late next year unless someone else does your work for you.

Shtinamin_ said:
burninmylight said:
burninmylight said:

I could see you possibly having a point if you were saying that if the Switch released a few months earlier, then the insane demand for it would have been apparent sooner and Nintendo would have kicked production into overdrive much earlier or something, but I don't get the impression that's the point you're making.

I think the richest company in Japan will be all right and I trust that it knows what it's doing.

Read the entire post before commenting, just like your mother and I taught you.

Ngl this post of yours didn’t add to the discussion and I’m disappointed in you.

There is no doubt, if the Switch launched in Nov 2016 then the Switch would be ahead by 4-6M units. So personally I feel like this particular discussion has been resolved.

I’m wondering if Mexico and South America will start to purchase more Switch units in the next 2 years. Does anyone else think they will be part of the last sale pushers? Or will they continue to be “irrelevant”?

Because there's nothing to add. Read the bolded part. If that's what Shtnamin meant, then all that was needed from that point was, "Yeah, that's what I'm saying." Discussion over. I literally addressed it already, so why wouldn't they just say it either from the get-go or after I brought it up? After taking so many days/posts to finally write his/her/their name on someone else's paper, I'm not convinced that's what was meant.

But since we're on the subject of disappointment, don't get me started on your anti-GTA garbage.

RolStoppable said:
burninmylight said:
burninmylight said:

I could see you possibly having a point if you were saying that if the Switch released a few months earlier, then the insane demand for it would have been apparent sooner and Nintendo would have kicked production into overdrive much earlier or something, but I don't get the impression that's the point you're making.

I think the richest company in Japan will be all right and I trust that it knows what it's doing.

Read the entire post before commenting, just like your mother and I taught you.

At some point you'll have to admit to yourself that you dug too deep into this and can't win anymore.

At some point you'll have to admit that I brought this up already, and only now are you all acting like that was the point all along. I've been on this site long enough to know when I'm being gaslighted by the biggest troll here.

To all three of you, Shtinamin_ keeps saying repeatedly that its better to release a console during the holiday season, not "If Nintendo would have launched the Switch the holiday season before that March, the lifetime numbers would be higher." There is a clear difference between these statements. The former I don't agree with, the latter I wouldn't even argue. All I needed was for one or the other to be clarified, but instead of that, we got a doubling down on the former.

Read the bolded parts. I am talking about a hypothetical to show why towards the end of a year is the best time to launch a new console.

A 3-4 month delay to presumably get software ready wouldn't be that big a deal but would still be a blunder from Nintendo cause holiday 2024 is the perfect time to make that quarter be big instead of weak so ideally launch software would be ready by then.

I think it releasing late this year would be better than them waiting a few extra months and releasing early next year so they can take advantage of the holiday season and have a strong quarter then instead of a weak one.

You're taking a hypothetical far too seriously. If Nintendo had enough software and Switch stock ready by late 2016 it launching then instead of early March would've been better. That didn't turn out to be feasible for them but it would've been better if it did. This seems like a clear fact so I'm not sure what you're arguing against exactly.

OK, we got something here. But by this point, we are so far down the rabbit hole that it got lost in the sauce. We got hypotheses, we got pie-in-the-sky hindsight scenarios, we got talk of fiscal quarters for investors, and we got takes on what when the Switch 2 should launch. None of that has anything to do with how the Switch launching in 2016 would have sold "faster". I put faster in bold because I took it to mean how quickly the available stock would sell, not how soon it hits the market.

So no, I'm not buying this revisionist history is that Switch releasing in 2016 was the point all along.

Last edited by burninmylight - on 25 February 2024

Around the Network
Radek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Nintendo just started localizing their games in portuguese and it's still very inconsistent. Last year for example we got Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Pikmin 4 and Super Mario Bros Wonder in portuguese, but not Tears of the Kingdom, which was their biggest game of 2023.

They also didn't even go back and put translations on older games when they started localizing them, meaning there's lots of evergreen titles that still are stuck in english.

Last edited by RedKingXIII - on 25 February 2024

This is so absurd that at this point it's just funny. I certainly didn't expect saying how I feel about when the Switch 2 will launch and bringing up a hypothetical scenario would lead to this, easily the most ridiculous discussion I've ever had on here.

Last edited by Norion - on 25 February 2024

Norion said:

This is so absurd that at this point it's just funny. I certainly didn't expect saying how I feel about when the Switch 2 will launch and bringing up a hypothetical scenario would lead to this, easily the most ridiculous discussion I've ever had on here.

Yeah... it even looks like burninmylight doesn't care anymore who said what. Norion and Shtinamin are one and the same guy now.

Well, at least he knows me.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Sogreblute said:

Just to add to this. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/historical_data/index.html

The "Consolidated Sales Transition by Region" shows all of Nintendo's total hardware and software shipments and splits each revision (except GB and GBC), so we can see how much each model sold. I never seen anyone post this either here or on Twitter, so I think this would help with showing the true sales of each Nintendo system in each region and how much each revision sold.

This page is well-hidden, so I have no idea how long it even exists yet. There's no link to historical data from the Finance index page, so unless someone knows this specific URL you posted, there's no way to easily navigate there.

I guess somebody saw this on the Japanese language version of Nintendo's corporate website and tried historical_data by chance on the English URL prefixes and a translated version actually popped up. Because how else are you going to find this in the first place.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Norion said:

Yeah... it even looks like burninmylight doesn't care anymore who said what. Norion and Shtinamin are one and the same guy now.

Well, at least he knows me.

I didn't even notice that at first so even more absurd and funny than I thought.