By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

Switch could do it.
And just like with the ps4.
Switch deserves it,its a great system.
Not so great as the ps2,but still great!

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

It was clear Switch was going to last until 2024 or 2025, but with the Nintendo Direct with MK8D DLC through 2023 I think that pretty much confirms they'll keep it going until 2025. So yes now I do think for sure Switch will pass DS and PS2 and hit 160 million.

It should be like ~124 million end of 2022, low 140's end of 2023, maybe hit PS2's number right at end of 2024, and push pass 160 million in 2025. 170m is definitely possible before they cut off production.

My prediction is as follow with a baseline of 77 mil sell-through as of end of 2020. Because of the semiconductor issues my list has faults but I commented accordingly:

2021: 25 mil (effective: 24.85 mil.)

2022: 24 mil. (this number is wrong but before Nintendo made any corrections I predicted 26.5 mil. in 2021, I just added those missing numbers to 2022, when in reality it will be even out over more than one year)

2023: 18.7 mil.

2024: 14.8 mil. (20% decline)

2025: 11.4 mil. (23% decline, Switch 2 comes out in March, however as decline was massive the year before, the decline stabalises despite Switch 2)

2026: 5.7 mil. (50% decline)

2027: 2.85 mil. (50% decline)

Rest of life: 1 mil.

Total: 180.45 mil.

@Fight-the-Streets I can't see Switch selling that much after Switch 2 launches, unless Switch 2 is not backwards compatible. That being said, Switch should surpass PS2 if Switch 2 launches in March 2025 or later. Personally hoping for a holiday launch, although launching in March 2025 with Mario Kart and then having AC in holiday 2025 would be strong.

Around the Network

So now this recent direct has just been released showing even more games slated for 2022. It only now gives me even more of a reason to think Switch will hit 160M. This seems like this is going to be the Switch's best year, IMO even topping out 2017 as now we are finally seeing the results of combining the home console & handheld software divisions of Nintendo together on one system which is allowing for the most Nintendo games to release in 2022 compared to other years, and we're now beginning to see why Nintendo been spending a lot on R&D the past few quarters. I feel like this would've happened earlier but of course, the 3DS was still being supported til 2019 and it takes a few years for a game to actually release, plus the pandemic probably slowed things down but we're seeing the high amount of new software release and less ports.

Some people will argue that most people interested in most Nintendo franchises already have a Switch since Nintendo released a lot of their biggest franchises already so this software may not necessarily mean that hardware sales will continue to stay high forever.
While that is true to a certain extent, having sequels to big franchises or more software later in the console's life is still very important in maintaining sales momentum. One of the reasons is because when consumers see that a console keeps getting big new releases later in the console's life, they are far more inclined to purchase the system because they don't see the console getting this many big releases getting discontinued anytime soon, which is a major factor for consumers when they want to buy a new console, they want to be sure that once they buy this console it won't immediately become irrelevant or that the next new and better console is right around the corner. If you search up Nintendo on google you see that one of the most frequently asked questions from consumers on Google relating to Nintendo is "Is the Switch being discontinued soon?" which shows that consumers really care about when a console gets discontinued so they don't feel like they wasted their money on a system that's gonna become irrelevant soon. The Switch in 2022 is showing no signs of that with the amount of software released, so people who haven't already purchased a switch will still have faith the Switch will be a worthy purchase for years to come, which is true.

Also, even tho sequels to pre-existing franchises on Switch aren't as huge system sellers, they still add to the overall console library making the switch more appealing to casuals.

Not to mention, these new game releases will have a high word of mouth, especially a game as big as BOTW 2.

So as a result, I do believe the Switch will reach 160M. I did believe it before the direct, but I believe it even more now after the direct. And the Mario Kart DLC ending late 2023 pretty much confirms that a switch successor in 2023 is not happening for the few people that believed it was. So minimum we'll see a successor in 2024 but I wouldn't at all rule out 2025. Here's how I see Switch's sales in the future.

2022: 21 Million Shipped, 124M Total
2023: 17 Million Shipped, 141M Total
2024 11 Million Shipped, 152M Total
2025 & Beyond, 157M Total

RolStoppable said:

This thread is now a week old and there has been hardly anyone who disagreed with Switch hitting 160m+ in its lifetime. That in and of itself is pretty telling how good the chances are.

I mean after 100+ million and still a way to go, the nay sayers can't argue yet

SKMBlake said:
RolStoppable said:

This thread is now a week old and there has been hardly anyone who disagreed with Switch hitting 160m+ in its lifetime. That in and of itself is pretty telling how good the chances are.

I mean after 100+ million and still a way to go, the nay sayers can't argue yet

Yep, exactly.  Not enough data to know exactly how it plays out.  And more importantly, at least for me, it doesn't matter.  Nothing changes if the switch finished 1st or 3rd.  A success either way.

Only an imagination :)

Video games and consoles collector from Poland.

RolStoppable said:

I feel like this thread is already outdated. You should revise it to 170 million. The odds of Switch successor coming before 2025 became astonishing low so the only reasonable thing that could cause a cliff (a Switch 2 launching with BC) is not on sight, Switch is going be effortlessly the biggest system of all time, the real question now is how far it can go