By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

I was going over their Revenue goal for FY'25 ¥1,350B and went to make some calculations.

Now I dont know much about how the revenue is calculated but I am making educated guesses based on their FY world report, so if someone does know how they calculate their revenue I will be open ears.

Lets assume the average cost of a Switch is near $300 (since Lite is $200, OLED is $350, and V2 is $300, and OLED is the majority of sales) with a goal of 13.5M units sold.

Lets also assume the average cost of a Nintendo game at $60 with a goal of 155M units sold.

If we add up their Fy'25 goals $4.050B & $9.3B. Add and convert them to ¥ using Nitnendo's $1=¥140 that will earn them ¥2,073.4B which is ¥722.4B more ¥ than expected, and we haven't even accounted for the merchandise yet. But if you drop the average cost of the Switch $50 (¥472,5B) and drop the price of the average game by $30 (¥651B) and increase the "other" category from the FY report by 18% (¥122.5B), we will be right at their Revenue goal at ¥1,350.27B.

My theory is that this FY we are gonna see ~$50 price drops for consoles, ~$30 drops in software, bundles, and a new Switch model near the $100 price range. With both $100 and the $300 OLED being the bulk of their sales.

Some bundles may contain MK8D + booster course dlc, SMO, TotK and SMBW. We may even see bundles with newer released games?

This is how they will be able to reach 13.5M hardware units, 155M software units, and ¥1,350B.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

Software licensing and Nintendo Online subscriptions account for a lot. And now we have to consider movies/TV shows. I haven't checked but did they give any details about the Mario movie's revenue?

Renamed said:

Software licensing and Nintendo Online subscriptions account for a lot. And now we have to consider movies/TV shows. I haven't checked but did they give any details about the Mario movie's revenue?

Mario was the most profitable movie of the year. But the amount Nintendo got was not disclosed 

Shtinamin_ said:

I was going over their Revenue goal for FY'25 ¥1,350B and went to make some calculations.

Now I dont know much about how the revenue is calculated but I am making educated guesses based on their FY world report, so if someone does know how they calculate their revenue I will be open ears.

Lets assume the average cost of a Switch is near $300 (since Lite is $200, OLED is $350, and V2 is $300, and OLED is the majority of sales) with a goal of 13.5M units sold.

Lets also assume the average cost of a Nintendo game at $60 with a goal of 155M units sold.

If we add up their Fy'25 goals $4.050B & $9.3B. Add and convert them to ¥ using Nitnendo's $1=¥140 that will earn them ¥2,073.4B which is ¥722.4B more ¥ than expected, and we haven't even accounted for the merchandise yet. But if you drop the average cost of the Switch $50 (¥472,5B) and drop the price of the average game by $30 (¥651B) and increase the "other" category from the FY report by 18% (¥122.5B), we will be right at their Revenue goal at ¥1,350.27B.

My theory is that this FY we are gonna see ~$50 price drops for consoles, ~$30 drops in software, bundles, and a new Switch model near the $100 price range. With both $100 and the $300 OLED being the bulk of their sales.

Some bundles may contain MK8D + booster course dlc, SMO, TotK and SMBW. We may even see bundles with newer released games?

This is how they will be able to reach 13.5M hardware units, 155M software units, and ¥1,350B.

Wrong.

The forecast of 165m software units (yes, 165m) includes first and third party games alike, and physical and digital copies alike. But it does not include digital-only games, so there's an unknown factor here.

For third party games, Nintendo only records the royaltee fee they collect from third parties as their own revenue. Since they take a 30% cut on digital games, a $60 third party game sold on the eShop nets them $18, for example. On a physical $60 third party game they take a lower cut, around 20% (exact figure unknown).

When it comes to hardware, Nintendo records the revenue they get from selling units to retailers and said revenue is below the MSRP, because retailers want to make a profit off every sale, even if it's only a small one. Exact cuts are unknown.

Similarly, a physical first party game doesn't earn Nintendo $60 in revenue, but rather something in the neighborhood of $50 due to the retailer cut.

The bottom line is that you have to work with a lot of variables here and many of them have an unknown value. Or in other words, if it was so easy to predict Nintendo's moves based on their forecasted revenue, somebody else would have already done it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Renamed said:

RolStoppable said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Wrong.

The forecast of 165m software units (yes, 165m) includes first and third party games alike, and physical and digital copies alike. But it does not include digital-only games, so there's an unknown factor here.

For third party games, Nintendo only records the royaltee fee they collect from third parties as their own revenue. Since they take a 30% cut on digital games, a $60 third party game sold on the eShop nets them $18, for example. On a physical $60 third party game they take a lower cut, around 20% (exact figure unknown).

When it comes to hardware, Nintendo records the revenue they get from selling units to retailers and said revenue is below the MSRP, because retailers want to make a profit off every sale, even if it's only a small one. Exact cuts are unknown.

Similarly, a physical first party game doesn't earn Nintendo $60 in revenue, but rather something in the neighborhood of $50 due to the retailer cut.

The bottom line is that you have to work with a lot of variables here and many of them have an unknown value. Or in other words, if it was so easy to predict Nintendo's moves based on their forecasted revenue, somebody else would have already done it.

Cool thank you! Oops I must've read it wrong. Thank you. But when I was looking at the revenue, the NSO and the digital were not included in their total. It does have a note though talking about the digital sales though.

This is the FY's that have finished recently. So I assume they will have the same for FY'25 finishing March 31, 2025.

I just think that it is interesting to know that if they have their sales at full price they will over shoot their FY goal in revenue. Which is why I brought it up. We can work on it together if you want since you have helped me with this knowledge. :)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:

Cool thank you! Oops I must've read it wrong. Thank you. But when I was looking at the revenue, the NSO and the digital were not included in their total. It does have a note though talking about the digital sales though.

This is the FY's that have finished recently. So I assume they will have the same for FY'25 finishing March 31, 2025.

I just think that it is interesting to know that if they have their sales at full price they will over shoot their FY goal in revenue. Which is why I brought it up. We can work on it together if you want since you have helped me with this knowledge. :)

Footnote 1 clearly states that everything concerning Switch is included in the revenue figure for Switch, except for amiibo which can be used on consoles other than Switch (see footnote 2). Footnote 5 says that 443.3 billion yen of the 1,567.824 billion yen in the dedicated video game platform segment were digital business; so the remaining majority is revenue from hardware, physical software and accessories.

I don't want to work on this because there are too many unknown values involved. Any result will be bound to be built on many blind guesses, calling the credibility of the whole exercise in question.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Footnote 1 clearly states that everything concerning Switch is included in the revenue figure for Switch, except for amiibo which can be used on consoles other than Switch (see footnote 2). Footnote 5 says that 443.3 billion yen of the 1,567.824 billion yen in the dedicated video game platform segment were digital business; so the remaining majority is revenue from hardware, physical software and accessories.

I don't want to work on this because there are too many unknown values involved. Any result will be bound to be built on many blind guesses, calling the credibility of the whole exercise in question.

I enjoy hearing the deeper information. Thank you. 
I understand, but I did find it interesting that even with Switch and games at full price it would be above the FY’25 goal for revenue.

Shtinamin_ said:
RolStoppable said:

I understand, but I did find it interesting that even with Switch and games at full price it would be above the FY’25 goal for revenue.

Wow this Rol character sure knows his stuff! I guess if I want to survive around here I got to stay on his good side, right guys? 😄 🤣 

OT: I sure do hope the switch beats the ps2!

vgchartzfan57 said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Wow this Rol character sure knows his stuff! I guess if I want to survive around here I got to stay on his good side, right guys? 😄 🤣 

OT: I sure do hope the switch beats the ps2!

looks like somebody made a burner account. (Use your main.)

I’m so proud of Switch console, I love it so much!! I even bought it 4 times !

1 original one that i lost
1 the red box , I sold it
1 animal crossing I sold it
1 oled white color