By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I think if Microsoft acquires another Major developer before Sony again , there might be an anti trust blockage in a way?

SegaHeart said:
aTokenYeti said:

I think Microsoft is done with the acquisitions for the time being. Right now they have a strong enough case to not being a monopolistic enterprise that they will probably not run into anti trust problems.

If they go out and announce another major acquisition in 6 months that will blow that case up entirely, and the government probably would intervene. They need a several year cooling off period before they go spending again

I'm guessing nothing Major , just small ones like IOI interactive is fine I think? They are making Project Dragon exclusive to Xbox, and they make the Hitman series.

I think individual studios like that are still probably on the table but publisher level stuff is probably over for a long time. 

In terms of competition for future acquisitions, I think Sony needs to worry more about Meta or Amazon trying to break in now, more so than Microsoft continuing to spend. Tencent and Embracer are also others to watch out for. 

Around the Network
SegaHeart said:
aTokenYeti said:

I think individual studios like that are still probably on the table but publisher level stuff is probably over for a long time. 

In terms of competition for future acquisitions, I think Sony needs to worry more about Meta or Amazon trying to break in now, more so than Microsoft continuing to spend. Tencent and Embracer are also others to watch out for. 

What's Meta?

It’s what Facebook renamed their company to. They renamed to “Meta” because they feel the “metaverse” is the future, and based on their statements video games and VR seem to be a critical component of that. 

the “metaverse” all seems silly to me but they clearly want IP and technology 

Imaginedvl said:

As of now even with Activision, Microsoft is not even close to monopolization so not sure why there is even talk about it.
Tencent and Sony are still on top (revenue wise).

While it will most likely change for Sony this generation, Tencent is way ahead.

Also to the OP, Sony by themselves will not be able to compete at some point, that's for sure. But I expect one of the big one to buy Sony (Apple or Amazon).
This would be the best outcome.

A merger with EA or another big publisher can also be good. But Sony cannot acquire them, it is just physical at this point :) 
What Microsoft just payed for Activision, is half of the whole market cap of Sony.. I mean :)

Sony's worth is closer to 200 Billion, they have a lot of assets, according to numbers from Japan, last year's numbers that is. Microsoft or whoever would need to pay something around 300 Billion if the acquisition of Activision is anything to go by.

So yes, not impossible for a couple of the trillion dollar companies, but certainly not easy, not even for the likes of Apple/Amazon/Microsoft/Google.

As far as monopolization is concerned, MS isn't actually very close at this point. MS could purchase another large publisher without much concern. Whether or not Sony buys a publisher doesn't matter as to whether MS is a monopoly. Also, there are far closer things to a monopoly, such as Alphabet with search engines.

However, we are starting to get dangerously close to the beginnings of an oligopoly. This is very common with other products to begin with, and there are relatively few laws that prevent it and even less that are taken seriously. With the precedent set, Amazon, Google, and/or Apple absolutely will be stepping in to buy up publishers. And I'd be willing to bet they'll buy up a console manufacturer too. The majority of all publishing will likely be done buy three companies in the future, all acting under different labels to give us the illusion of choice. It's not a good look IMO

bubblegamer said:
Imaginedvl said:

As of now even with Activision, Microsoft is not even close to monopolization so not sure why there is even talk about it.

While it will most likely change for Sony this generation, Tencent is way ahead.

Also to the OP, Sony by themselves will not be able to compete at some point, that's for sure. But I expect one of the big one to buy Sony (Apple or Amazon).

A merger with EA or another big publisher can also be good. But Sony cannot acquire them, it is just physical at this point :) 
What Microsoft just payed for Activision, is half of the whole market cap of Sony.. I mean :)

Sony's worth is closer to 200 Billion, they have a lot of assets, according to numbers from Japan, last year's numbers that is. Microsoft or whoever would need to pay something around 300 Billion if the acquisition of Activision is anything to go by.

So yes, not impossible for a couple of the trillion dollar companies, but certainly not easy, not even for the likes of Apple/Amazon/Microsoft/Google.

oh yah :) Acquiring Sony would not be an easy one, I agree. I think we should look at this more like a "merger" at this level; more than an acquisition per say.
I really believe Apple-Sony would make a great team, I'm not sure why people seem to see this as a bad thing :) 

I'm personnaly not a fan of Apple products. But as a company, they are doing a lot of things right and Sony does too. Both working together would be a monster in the gaming industry.

Play Station Six with Apple silicon! (this is a silly joke, keep your pants on people...)

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 20 January 2022

Around the Network

The thing here people aren't considering is what the alternative is. If these big American companies want to be bought out, and you either have

Microsoft buying them, getting closer to a monopoly.

Or

Embracer/Tencent/Sony buying them

I think they will favor, in the American government, approving am American company getting closer to a monopoly than they will want these companies to become foreign owned.

There should be some anti-monopoly action, but they are going to get away with it, since they still have some major competition from companies like Sony, Nintendo, Apple and Google (Activision was a mobile giant, so now MS is). They can point out they still have a bigger chunk of the gaming pie and say they are not doing anything illegal.

And no, I don't want Nintendo or Sony to buy other big studios either. Just let 3rd parties be 3rd parties, we get a healthier gaming market that way.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Imaginedvl said:

Nintendo manages to compete by doing their own thing. No reason Sony can’t end-up competing the same way. 

Yes, this is huge, but people are way too hasty bringing up these doom and gloom scenarios. 

Sony will have to double up on their strengths, which is building a compelling exclusive catalogue of highly polished and critically well received titles, push technologies, and focus on the gamer’s experience first. 

Now, it’s funny how the ones who constantly whined and criticized Sony for money-hatting exclusives are nowhere to be found now. It’s ok for MS to flash its money, but when Sony does it? … Yeah, they so evil and arrogant.

Hynad said:
Imaginedvl said:

Now, it’s funny how the ones who constantly whined and criticized Sony for money-hatting exclusives are nowhere to be found now. It’s ok for MS to flash its money, but when Sony does it? … Yeah, they so evil and arrogant.

You okay? From what in my post are you coming up with that lol

Also, and you can look at my history, but I never-ever critized Sony for that (other than having to use their controller when the game in only available on my Play Station, which I'm not a big fan of)... I do not care about them paying for exclusives and I understand why any company would do that. (same goes for Microsoft, I have no problem them acquiring studios or paying for exclusives). I think you are mixing up things just cause of my avatar.

It sucks when any game is not available to me, that would be the extrend of it lol, but I have both console and always had... So yah, not sure what is going on in your head :)

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 20 January 2022

zero129 said:
Imaginedvl said:

oh yah :) Acquiring Sony would not be an easy one, I agree. I think we should look at this more like a "merger" at this level; more than an acquisition per say.
I really believe Apple-Sony would make a great team, I'm not sure why people seem to see this as a bad thing :) 

I'm personnaly not a fan of Apple products. But as a company, they are doing a lot of things right and Sony does too. Both working together would be a monster in the gaming industry.

Play Station Six with Apple silicon! (this is a silly joke, keep your pants on people...)

Not if we are going to be expected to pay €1000 or more for the Apple iPS6 with lesser hardware then its competition.

Yah :) That will suck for the gamers! At the end they will sell it tho! 

Apple iPS6 ahah!