By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Sales Top 18 Million - Global Hardware Jan 2-8

Looks like PS4 and Xbox One both adjusted down as well.

As for this week, Switch still outsells PS5 and Xbox Series combined, and Xbox remains ahead of PS in America.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 January 2022

Around the Network

So with adjustments the switch saw 2021 with a decrease of just a little bit above 10% compared to 2020.

I expect a bigger drop this year.
For the other two consoles is hard to predict with the ongoing shortages.

@trunkswd Have you seen this?
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-18-36-million-games-and-3-4-million-consoles-sold-in-the-uk-in-2021-uk-annual-report

I'm happy to not see the 3DS on the charts anymore. The system had a decent run, but it was time to put it out to pasture.

The number of systems tracked goes back to five and it seems it'll get reduced to four next year and eventually go down to three for probably 1-2 years. I wonder how long till the big news today starts impacting the weekly sales.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Norion said:

The number of systems tracked goes back to five and it seems it'll get reduced to four next year and eventually go down to three for probably 1-2 years. I wonder how long till the big news today starts impacting the weekly sales.

I wouldn't expect anything noticeable as there are still shortages. Plus the deal won't close for a long time.

Not for the time being yeah but if the shortages improve somewhat by the 2nd half of the year I could see it starting to have a bit of an impact due to demand shifting around some.

yo33331 said:

Very interesting how dying systems see a big drop in weekly sales, once 1st january hits ...
How XBOX ONE was doing around 10-12K every week for the second part of last year, and 1st january came and it is now doing 2k ?
How PS4 was doing 20-30K for the second part of the year every week, and 1st january came and it is doing 15K ?

Pretty simple, actually. XOne stopped production end of 2020, so this was its last Christmas season and most of whatever stock was left is likely gone now. PS4 is still manufactured (low quantities, 1M/52 = 20k per week average), so we will see 15-20k weeks for this year.

After the correction, Nintendo Switch sold 24.85 mil. in 2021 (with possible further corrections after the Q3 report from Nintendo). That's in line with my predicted 25 mil. I expect 2022 to be flat for the Switch, my expectation is 24 mil. (if there aren't any significant chip shortages). Many will say my number is too high but I think Nintendo will have a great lineup in 2022 and I do expect another form factor for the Switch Light (not an OLED, I think that wouldn't make sense but an improved screen would still be possible combined with a sexier design with some attractive colours and improved battery life). The OG Switch Light will then receive a slight price reduction. With this combination I think the 24 mil. can be reached.

The Switch will have a great line up but I also think it'll be reaching a saturation point, so I don't the games are going to keep it flat. Seeing what it sells when Pokemon Archeus comes out will be interesting

So, Nintendo Switch Total sales already surpassed PSX sales?