By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts November 2021 Discussion Thread

360's slow start means XS shouldn't lose its lead even with the holiday shortages, and the gap should start to widen again in January.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

360's slow start means XS shouldn't lose its lead even with the holiday shortages, and the gap should start to widen again in January.

The big question is the later 360 years as it got a big boost from Kinect for a couple of Holidays.

Yeah while I expect it to outsell the Xbone, I don't think XS will be able to beat the 360 due to the older system's long shelf life and late gen boost.

Yeah I don't see Xbox Series landing anywhere near Switch lifetime, at least the current X/S generation, in case they decide to just make everything an incremental "Xbox Series" console from now on.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I don't see Xbox Series landing anywhere near Switch lifetime, at least the current X/S generation, in case they decide to just make everything an incremental "Xbox Series" console from now on.

Main reason I am doing this is that people would ask where it is while I am doing PS5 vs Switch. Though, I could change it to Xbox Series X|S vs Switch in the US as Xbox has more of a chance there.

I think both are worth doing, as they help add context to sales numbers and make for interesting comparisons. :)

That is probably the most interesting chart with how extreme the difference in sales curve is. PS5+XBS vs PS4+X1 should be far less interesting though unfortunately since they should both follow a much more similar sales curve. Though maybe the former could get into the 180's like the PS2+Xbox did.

Around the Network

Yeah, this race is over.
PS4 and Xbox One aren't selling another 6 million units, with the former's last quarterly sales a mere 200k and no holiday boost for either according to VGChartz numbers. The better consoles won.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 in the US Sales Comparison - November 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PS4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Switch launched on March 3, 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 US:

Gap change in latest month: 929,951 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,278,651 - Switch

Total Lead: 7,843,475 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 32,881,724

PS4 Total Sales: 25,038,249

November 2021 is the 57th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap in the US between the Switch and PlayStation 4 grew in favor of the Switch when you align launches. The Switch sold 929,951 more units than the PS4 in the last month. In the last 12 months, the Switch has grown its lead by 3.28 million units. The Switch currently leads by 7.84 million units.

The 57th month on sale for the Switch is November 2021, while for the PS4 it is July 2018. The Switch has sold 32.88 million units, while the PS4 sold 25.04 million units during the same timeframe.

The PS4 did not reach the current Switch sales until month 78 where it sold a total of 33.11 million units.

The PS4 has been available for 97 months in the US and has sold 35.11 million units. The Switch is currently 2.23 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PS4.

So Switch is tracking nearly two years ahead of PS4 in sales. After Japan, this should be the next major territory where Switch topples Sony's 8th gen console. Japan, then America, then the world.

Wii has one more significant holiday season then levels off; it all comes down now to how much stamina Switch has beyond 2022.

Switch will shrink the gap to below 7 million once December numbers are in.
I feel like it can outsell it by end of 2022 in the U.S, if not, then early 2023.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Wii has one more significant holiday season then levels off; it all comes down now to how much stamina Switch has beyond 2022.

I don't get why you are so damn pessimistic so often. While Switch's holiday sales in 2021 will be a bit lower than expected, its LTD in the USA will be ~34.5m by the end of December already. Afterwards it's only a gap of ~7.20m left to go which can be accomplished by the end of 2022 if things go well. Sales in 2020 were ~9m, sales in 2021 will be 8.0-8.5m. A decline in 2022 is likely, but that's not a problem.

It's a done deal just like Switch vs. PS4 worldwide. The remaining question is by how much Switch will win these comparisons.

I guess it is just hard for me to shake the anxiety that Nintendo will replace the Switch too soon.