By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the Best Game You Played in 2021?

At first glance this may seem like another GOTY 2021 thread, but it's not. This thread is asking a slightly different question.

I am not asking what is the best new game released in 2021 that you played, I am asking what is the very best game you played for the first time this year, regardless of what year that game released.

For instance, BOTW was the best game I played for the first time in 2020, even though the game released in 2017.

So out of all the games that you played for the first time this year, which one was your favorite? (2021 releases also acceptable)

For me, 2021 was the year I finally started playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (and MK8 Deluxe). Smash Ultimate is likely the best game I have played this year, but I still have not completed most of the modes or challenges.

The best game that I played to completion this year is Gravity Rush Remastered on PS4.

How about you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

I replayed Chrono Trigger (again), so it clearly is the best game I've played in 2021.

Edit: Not incluiding replays... I guess Metroid Dread/Nier Replicant would be my pick. I havent really played old games for the first time this year. 

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 13 December 2021

Yakuza: Like a Dragon

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

I started Undertale a couple of years back, but quit like halfway. Came back to it this year and played all the way through. So, I'll count that.

Shin Megami Tensei V

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I replayed Ocarina of Time this year, so that wins for me.

Edit: Eek! I just realized it can only be games played for the very first time.

In that case, I guess it’s Resident Evil: Village :)

Last edited by Veknoid_Outcast - on 13 December 2021

Death stranding directors cut is the best game ive played this year.

If we're talking about open-ended games, it would be Stardew Valley with Animal Crossing: New Horizons as a close runner-up. I've been playing Stardew Valley since 2018 and played Animal Crossing since launch.

If we're talking about games I played for the first time in 2021 and have a clear story/quest, it's gotta be Persona 5 Royal. I started Persona this year with Persona 4 Golden, then P5R, then Strikers. Royal is the best of the bunch.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Played through Resident Evil 7 for the first time this year. Absolutely adored it, probably my favorite in the series and one of my fav horror games in general

Hades, I finished the main story but I still need to do the epilogue. What a phenomenal game.

NNID/PSN: Kung_Kjartan