By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the Best Game You Played in 2021?

Hmm I haven't played that many games this year but the ones I played were mostly really good. I think I'll go with Metroid Dread as my favourite game I played this year and the favourite in the franchise for me honestly.

Honorable mention goes to Dark Souls 3 for most unexpected game I enjoyed that much. Didn't really like Dark souls 1 that much but there were things about it that I loved so still wanted to give the series another go. I liked DS3 so much that I'm currently playing through it for a second time this year.

Around the Network

NEO: The World Ends With You

I finally played through Super Mario Odyssey, which is by far the best game I have played this year. Hollow Knight is my pick for second place, though that might change once I've finished Metroid Dread.

SMT V

I've mostly been playing older games I already owned this year, not bought many new ones. I guess I could say Dragon Age Inquisition or KH1, going through the KH series and only just finished 1, on to 2 now (skipped Chain of Memories, gameplay was just not my thing).

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Dark Souls 3

Horizon Zero Dawn 

Hades

Octopath Traveler 

Little Nightmares

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Final Fantasy XIV (it's the first year that I could play for anything longer than 2 hours, before I've tried and then quit due to performance issues)

Metroid Dread

Don't Starve Together

Ori and the Will os Wisps 

Phasmophobia 

Many great old games to offset a somewhat mediocre year when it comes to new releases 

Ooh, I always struggle picking just one

I think it will have to be TLOU2.

After seeing the shit storm of leaks and spoilers I was completely put off it and when they added it on PSNow, I thought why not give it a go.

Just comes to show what reading things with little context can do. Easily one of my top games and stories in video games of all time. Team Abbey here, can't wait to see more of her!

Curse of the Azure Bonds.  I played several RPGs looking for a certain set of old school traits, and I found Curse of the Azure Bonds hit it perfectly.  This is how to make an RPG.  It's so damn fun.  Probably the best part about it is the combat system, but I really like the dual classing min/maxing you can do in 1st edition D&D.  I actually did play a few battles of this back in the day on a friend's game, but this was the first time I played through the whole game myself from beginning to end.

Honorable mention goes to FFXIV.  It's fun, and it's the MMO that people are really flocking to right now.  Right now there can be a 3000+ queue to wait to get into the world.

Shock Troopers, pretty great arcade game, reminded me of Metal Slug, but top down.

I didn't play the game for the first time this year, but I started a clean file and completed the story of Monster Hunter 4 for the first time this year, definitely the best Monster Hunter game.

Tho overall my game of the year still goes to Metroid Dread.

Can't just pick one.
Metroid Dread
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Doom Eternal
Bowser's Fury