By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Studies: Many long-time gamers searching for meaning.

I also think emotional connection is important for me, that's why I like games with some sort of social simulation like Fire Emblem Three Houses and Persona 5 where you build a friendship with your party, sometimes I somewhat felt immersed as if I was truly living the role play. Feeling as part of the story really helps me to like a game. That's how I ended having over 700 hours in Animal Crossing, who doesn't like to befriend cute animals ? 

Sometimes empathy can appear even when you don't have the power of social simulation though, thinking of Hollow Knight, I really felt immersed in a dying world of bugs, connected enough to really want the Knight to succeed. I like when games makes me feel emotions and not coldness, a game where I finished and felt nothing is an empty game for me 

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

I think emotional connection to games is big for a lot of people now. It's why action/adventure games with strong stories are so prevalent for winning awards and goty. Because games that have deep stories and characters that connect with you are the games you remember and mean the most to you, compared to something like mario bros that may be a great fun gameplay, but it's not something that makes you think or impacts the way you view life. lol.

Some people want more than just solid gameplay.

I think you are a bit wrong here. People plays Marjo because it evokes an emotion, powerful emotion which is nostalgia 

That's why Mario sells so much and everything else of the genre struggle, other platformers won't evoke the same feelings no matter how good is the gameplay 

Meanwhile I am searching for the Triforce, actually.

I started gaming on the NES and while I do appreciate games with a strong story element, it's far from a requirement for me to enjoy a game. It falls in the "nice to have" category when ranking a game for me with gameplay/fun factor being way up top. It also varies by genre, for a platformer the less story the better but for a RPG, a good story will be more essential.

Signature goes here!

The adventure game genre was very popular back then, very little game play, all story and characters. They also created other connections. The internet didn't exist yet, so you often ended up discussing the games with friends and neighbors when stuck at a certain puzzle. They were also fun to play together, two minds see more than one.

The vast connectivity of the internet has reduced people's face to face interactions. You don't go to a friend's house anymore to play games together, you blab into a headset instead. Split screen is rare nowadays, co-op is usually online only. Maybe that's why more people are looking for connection with game stories. Also as you get older you have less time to spend with friends face to face. That could also add to putting more importance on feeling a connection with a game or game character.

Around the Network

The connection simply tends to change as you age for most. Get's deeper because you lose your 'blind spots'.

It's hard to notice the deeper meaning around you when you're ripping down the highway in some sports car, with a hot little number beside you, though you're certainly appreciating those immediate connections with the fun at that point in time.

Eventually for most, after enough time, you'll cruise by that same location at some point in a 'Buick', slowly and safely, and you'll notice everything you missed prior. You'll even stop and get out to take a walk and appreciate it as closely as possible. Take your time. Analyze all the little details. etc.

Being young is much more about simply 'getting there asap', where as growing older is much more about 'how it was all made possible along the way.'

It's tough to make a deep emotional game that connects with the audience if you don't truly understand this, which is understandable why some fail in cases, because it's easy to understand why a group of younger individuals would have a hard time grasping the depth of everything that's necessary.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 10 December 2021

RolStoppable said:

I fail to see how things have changed in any major way. What I do see, however, is a major change in how video games are analyzed by people with academic backgrounds, thanks to video games being around for more than four decades by now. Meaning that people who grew up with video games have entered academic fields since then and as such are people who don't approach the topic of video games like a concept that is alien to them.

I cannot agree with the assertion that recent technological advancements have been a necessity to create games that fit the bill, because gamers who grew up in '80s and '90s should have no problem citing games from the SNES and PS1 generations that made them feel a wide variety of emotions; popular examples can be taken from a single series: Final Fantasy, namely the entries IV, VI and VII. The article further raises eyebrows with its example of Red Dead Redemption II and the suggestion that it could be approached like a piece of literature in about 20 years. The final example of even co-operative multiplayer games with no story and character development causing a variety of feelings makes the preceding examples seem pretty hollow, because at that point it should be abundantly clear that video games do not even require any elaborate story-telling and writing to make players feel things, and that video games have been popular since their very beginning because of their interactive nature and the emotions they evoke.

Overall, we see the same pattern occur for virtually all popular video games and hidden gems alike: The people who enjoy these games get something out of them on an emotional level and it doesn't matter whether that is via a written story, through interactions with other humans in a multiplayer environment or something else. This has basically been true since the inception of the medium. What has also been true is that the same content can resonate very differently between individual players, so what Jaicee finds very appealing can be complete rubbish for many others, and vice versa.

Even one of the most basic settings, such as in Super Mario Bros., can be interpreted in polar opposite ways. The more widespread point of view is the damsel in distress cliche with the accompanying underlying message that women are weak, but you can look at it as men are ought to help when a woman is in need of help. But the vast majority of gamers who enjoy SMB do not think about its plot, but rather take it as merely giving the player a reason to proceed, a cause to pursue in a game universe they get themselves immersed in.

The bottom line is that people have always played the games that provided them with positive takeaways and it's no revelation that the desires and needs of individuals shift or change as they grow older, so I very much doubt that Jaicee is alone in that. We've all eventually played games that we know we would never have touched when we were 10, 20 or 30 years younger.

Best coment, resumes everything I was thinking on writing particularly this:

" The people who enjoy these games get something out of them on an emotional level and it doesn't matter whether that is via a written story, through interactions with other humans in a multiplayer environment or something else. This has basically been true since the inception of the medium. What has also been true is that the same content can resonate very differently between individual players,"

Those studies OP mentions may have some validity but I don't think they can be as generalized as they think they can, as first the medium is interactive and as you say different people has experienced in different ways, and the feels everyone gets from them vary on a lot of ways

To this day lots of games are still deeply rooted to me emotionaly cause different things:

- The MS-DOS Warhammer 40k Space Hulk game, geniunely made me feel terror and true anxiety because of the  tactical, terror gameplay and enviroment, but it was also lots of fun since me and my father deviced strategies to clear the hardest maps in the game, it also spark my interes in W40k universe.  

-The characters that died or the lost companions during the history in the Wing commander games were very shocking the first time playing.

-The  stories of the characters in Zelda majora's mask, despite a lot of them being secondary to the main quest some of them had very profound stories or interactions.

-Star Fox 64, played it to death I knew it wasnt too long or more complex but I still think is one of the best space shooters I have enjoyed with the cartoony characters and setting, plus the audio was superb, I liked to pester my bro about how magnificent it was with the voices and sound effects.

-Everything on the great Mega Man Zero saga 1-4, the setting, the plot, the characters, the gameplay, the technical aspects, the difficulty, the freaking ending.

-The developement of the partnertship with Midna in Zelda twillight Princess, so the ending still hits me hard.

-The Fire Emblem games for the complexity of their characters and conflicts, lots with very sad backstories, some of them outright tragedies.

-I wasn't very good at Dr. Mario, but it was always delightful watching my mother being so pro at the game, that she could pass level 20 in the high speed difficulty to watch the special "ending" scene, and then pass levels 21,22,23 and loop in the 24 until she finally slip up somthing and got game over.

-The hours and hours of laughs and jokes with the smash bros games over the years with the guys from school and our improvised "tournaments". 

And basically everything from all the NES, SNES, N64, PS1, Arcade and all consoles and games I have played to this day and all the different emotions they gave me whether they were games with heavier or not storytelling, and that yes I think they have contributed to my developement as a human being.

I like connection if it doesn't sacrifice gameplay and freedom, in that case they are amongst my favourite games, for example Deus Ex, Planescape:Torment, Thief and Fallout series. I don't like games too much on rails, even if they try to establish connection, if I'm forced to watch a story I don't feel connected as if it were a good movie, as a game isn't that.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I don't agree with the article. It's trying hard to paint this as something new and it just isn't.

ICO released 20 years ago and instantly became one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had with a video game. People praised it then and kept praising it long after. Before that, Final Fantasy III twisted me up with emotions using sprites, of all things. Suikoden II, Alundra, Persona 3, Valkyria Chronicles ... all games with emotional depth that rank among my all-time favorites. This isn't something new to the medium and it certainly doesn't depend on recent advances in technology.

For me, Final Fantasy III changed everything. It showed me that gaming could be more than muscle memory and turning your brain off while you played. I wasn't a gamer before that, it was just something I did to kill time. Titles like Mario on the NES, with shallow characters and story, often failed to hold my attention at all. I could take or leave gaming and I went without it for a long period after the NES era--I didn't even particularly want an SNES, some rich kid offered to trade it to me for a skateboard deck. I picked up a used copy of FF3 on a whim and it hooked me on a level that I hadn't experienced with gaming previously.

Have the tastes of some consumers changed over time? Of course, that can happen with just about any hobby. Many gamers, though, have sought more complex experiences from the start.

As far as I can see, the only thing that's changed is the rise of indie development, which means a substantial increase in both volume and variety.

I definitely can relate to the search for meaning, healing, and emotional resonance, and I often turn to art (and sometimes entertainment) for that. However I usually view gaming as closer to something like sports, board games, card games, and even toys than deep artistic/emotional outlets. Usually - turn off my brain and just have fun. 

I have sort of an opposite outlook in that games of the modern era seem to TRY (and usually fail) to cater to my emotions and tell an interesting/deep narrative when I'm just looking for an escape and be entertained. I want to create my own story when I play games. 

When I look for the emotional resonance thing or some deeper meaning, I'll usually opt for music, film (both of which I also love), books, art. All of these things, for my money at least, do this much better for the most part than games.

With that said, the rare times a game genuinely does something interesting artistically or in terms of emotional/philosophical elements, (Braid, Celeste, Inside, We Happy Few), I do appreciate it, but I see it more as a bonus. At the end of the day I just want to be entertained when it comes to games, ideally with minimal fluff. 

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 20 December 2021

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden