By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dune (2021)

I think the old Dune movie is complete garbage. It's insanely boring and extremely confusing and hard to follow. Everything about it, the set design, the make up, the costumes, everything looks terrible and insanely ugly. Only some of the effects near the end are decent. Harkonnen looks like a clown floating around. In the new movie he looks imposing and actually threatening. The camera work in the old movie is aweful. In the new one it helps making scenes more powerful, in the old one it's boring and uninteresting. Looks like it's almost all just filmed by a guy with a camera on his shoulder. The acting was boring too.
These two movies are like night and day.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 16 December 2021

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

I think the old Dune movie is complete garbage. It's insanely boring and extremely confusing and hard to follow. Everything about it, the set designed, the make up, the costumes, everything looks terrible and insanely ugly. Only some of the effects near the end are decent. Harkonnen looks like a clown floating around. In the new movie he looks imposing and actually threatening. The camera work in the old movie is aweful. In the new one it helps making scenes more powerful, in the old one it's boring and uninteresting. Looks like it's almost all just filmed by a guy with a camera on his shoulder. The acting was boring too.

All valid points but Lynch's Dune had Sting greased up in a metal speedo.

Signature goes here!

curl-6 said:

I have a feeling that now that the foundation has been laid for the characters, setting, and plot in the first film, Part 2, which has already been greenlit, will be meatier, particularly in terms of action.

We even have a release date; October 20th, 2023. The wait is gonna feel like forever haha.

Personally I'm glad they had the wisdom and restraint to do it in two parts instead of dragging it out to three or more just to pad ticket sales as others have done. (Looking at you, The Hobbit)

Villeneuve has a lot of respect for the book and it shows. The first part is covering almost 2/3 of the story, but the latter part is low in term of content and the pacing is way faster, so I’m sure the 2nd movie will be more action oriented, but not as much as we can expect.

The characters development will be insane and I can’t wait to see the director’s approach with their story arc, especially Paul. I know some people complain about how bland he is, just wait and see ! ?

Kakadu18 said:

I think the old Dune movie is complete garbage. It's insanely boring and extremely confusing and hard to follow. Everything about it, the set designed, the make up, the costumes, everything looks terrible and insanely ugly. Only some of the effects near the end are decent. Harkonnen looks like a clown floating around. In the new movie he looks imposing and actually threatening. The camera work in the old movie is aweful. In the new one it helps making scenes more powerful, in the old one it's boring and uninteresting. Looks like it's almost all just filmed by a guy with a camera on his shoulder. The acting was boring too.

Yeah the 80s Dune is horrible, in just about every way, I hate it.

abronn627 said:
curl-6 said:

I have a feeling that now that the foundation has been laid for the characters, setting, and plot in the first film, Part 2, which has already been greenlit, will be meatier, particularly in terms of action.

We even have a release date; October 20th, 2023. The wait is gonna feel like forever haha.

Personally I'm glad they had the wisdom and restraint to do it in two parts instead of dragging it out to three or more just to pad ticket sales as others have done. (Looking at you, The Hobbit)

Villeneuve has a lot of respect for the book and it shows. The first part is covering almost 2/3 of the story, but the latter part is low in term of content and the pacing is way faster, so I’m sure the 2nd movie will be more action oriented, but not as much as we can expect.

The characters development will be insane and I can’t wait to see the director’s approach with their story arc, especially Paul. I know some people complain about how bland he is, just wait and see ! 😂

I don't expect Part II to be wall to wall action, just hoping it won't suffer from the slight loss of momentum in the third act that was my only issue with part 1 haha.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 December 2021

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

One thing that impressed me especially was the way the visual effects not only looked incredibly convincing, (I can't recall a single shot that looked fake) but were highly artistic too. They didn't just settle for straight-up realism the way most blockbusters do.

Interesting, I'm quite the opposite - one of the things that bothered me about the film is that it mostly looks quite mundane, except for House Harkonnen, which felt as if Giger designed it. Lynch's Dune has shitload of problems, but it feels much more Sci-Fi overall.

Somewhat of the topic, it seems that Villeneuve gets to direct "Rendevouz with Rama", something I've been waiting for 20 or so years since they've announced Clarke sold the rights for the movie (can't remember exactly, it was some time after Armagedon and Deep Impact)...well, at least it won't be complete garbage, which I was afraid of back then.

I guess art is always going to be subjective by its very nature. Personally I found the architecture of the various craft, the use of colour and light, and composition of the various effects shots to be aesthetically imaginative and evocative as opposed to merely realistic/functional.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 December 2021

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

I watched the 2021 remake last month and watched the original last day of Nov.

Between the two - I enjoyed the original one more than the 2021 remake lol.

I kinda fell asleep with the 2021 remake and had to watch the 2nd half again.

In my opinion, the 2021 remake covers probably the most boring part of the book.  Things actually do not really kick off until Paul the part where the movie ends.  While of course the first Dune movie goes over things so quickly that if you did not read the book you would basically not understand what the heck is going on.

Machiavellian said:
BasilZero said:

I watched the 2021 remake last month and watched the original last day of Nov.

Between the two - I enjoyed the original one more than the 2021 remake lol.

I kinda fell asleep with the 2021 remake and had to watch the 2nd half again.

In my opinion, the 2021 remake covers probably the most boring part of the book.  Things actually do not really kick off until Paul the part where the movie ends.  While of course the first Dune movie goes over things so quickly that if you did not read the book you would basically not understand what the heck is going on.

Not only that, the new one follow the book and presents the information we need at the same pace the novel does. Lynch version put too much information in the opening scene, it’s almost like the writers didn’t trust the viewers to be able to follow the scenario otherwise.

One example, I’ve seen people complained that the emperor or Irulan were missing or we don’t see class 3 navigators. The first two doesn’t appear in the book until the very end and the later is properly introduced in Messiah.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

If Part 2 retains all the strengths of Part 1 but has a stronger sense of climax, I can see the two films being right up there with the likes of the Lord of the Rings and the original Star Wars trilogy in terms of great movie sagas. The first film was just a hair away from masterpiece status for me.

coolbeans said:

Might as well preface that Dune (book) is one of my favorite sci-fi scrolls of all-time.  It's among a special few I read post-high school that I wished I'd read sooner.  I was oftentimes warned about its sequels, but I want to carve out some time to go through all of them soon.

I came away genuinely impressed with the new movie.  Although I thought 2049 was overrated, I still had faith in Villeneuve simply for being the first Dune director, would-be or actual director, to have actually read the fucking book beforehand.  You can tell he loves the source material and yearned to make something Herbert would respect.  The scenery, the sense of scale, the good practical/CGI blending (aside from that godawful suit fight in trailers), the effective exposition, how Zimmer's score was incorporated, and so on.  Seeing this in IMAX was an absolute treat.

Naturally, it's not without issues.  The editing and 'narrative framing' for...

Spoiler!

...Paul's first kill was unfocused.  The weird quick cuts done to Jamis' yelling was so strange.  Even the quick exposition of him not killing before could've been drilled into the audience earlier.

Also...

Spoiler!
There should've been stronger hints of Dr. Yueh's betrayal beforehand.  Obviously some cuts would have to be made, but this is an important one I don't agree with.  Having him spill the beans to Leto (especially in a low-volume whisper and slight accent) after he's done the deed is such a stale way to do it.

Even with those noteworthy criticisms, which could dampen the avg. moviegoer experience, I'm came away ecstatic that this was made.  Can't wait for Part II.

8 or 8.5 Sardaukar Beatboxers / 10

Yueh really wasn't much of a character in the new movie, which I found a bit disappointing. I get that some things have to be cut, but I quite liked his character in the books, so I was disappointed that they didn't really do much with him. 

For me, I loved the movie but it is hard to separate it from the books. Books are just naturally a better format for this story due to how much of them plays in thoughts and subtleties which you can do much more easily and cleanly in a book than a movie. That said, I find them to be really interesting companion pieces. The books add a lot of depth to the movie, while the movie provides a more straightforward picture of events with beautiful cinematography and solid acting. Part of me wishes I could watch the movie without having first read the book to judge it more objectively, but at the same time, I fully enjoyed both experiences (book and movie) so I suppose I can't complain.