By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Dune (2021)

I loved it. And yes, it's only the first part, but when you know the book, and also David Lynch's movie, you know that from the pace of the movie, it would've end just after the attack of the Harkonens. It went slighlty above that point, but not that much.

Can't wait to see the other ones.

Around the Network

Saw it on opening weekend and I really loved it as someone who only saw the David Lynch movie and my husband loved it as well (having read the first few books). I thought it did a good job of explaining the world and the political dynamics. I'm so glad that Part 2 was greenlit by Warner Bros it would have been a crime to leave this project unfinished. I think I'll go watch it again during the Christmas break.

Signature goes here!

Denis Villeneuve has got to be one of the very best directors working today.

Between this, Arrival, and Bladerunner 2049 I've adored everything I've seen from him so far, his grasp of mood, visuals, and storytelling is utterly masterful.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 December 2021

Excellent movie, the definition of epic. Denis Villeneuve has yet to make a less than great movie.

I have a feeling that now that the foundation has been laid for the characters, setting, and plot in the first film, Part 2, which has already been greenlit, will be meatier, particularly in terms of action.

We even have a release date; October 20th, 2023. The wait is gonna feel like forever haha.

Personally I'm glad they had the wisdom and restraint to do it in two parts instead of dragging it out to three or more just to pad ticket sales as others have done. (Looking at you, The Hobbit)

Around the Network

I really did like it a lot. The art direction, the actors, the music, the setup, landscapes are top notch.
It has been a long time I haven't seen such a powerful movie.

On the other hand, I feel it's a remake of David Lynch's. I ve watched his Dune very often, and some scenes from Villeneuve's are a copy paste. But it's a good thing !

Killy_Vorkosigan said:

I really did like it a lot. The art direction, the actors, the music, the setup, landscapes are top notch.

On the other hand, I feel it's a remake of David Lynch's. I ve watched his Dune very often, and some scenes from Villeneuve's are a copy paste. But it's a good thing !

If you follow the book, it would be a copy paste in most part but not really in how the scenes are setup.

Killy_Vorkosigan said:

They both follow the same book.

One thing that impressed me especially was the way the visual effects not only looked incredibly convincing, (I can't recall a single shot that looked fake) but were highly artistic too. They didn't just settle for straight-up realism the way most blockbusters do.

curl-6 said:

One thing that impressed me especially was the way the visual effects not only looked incredibly convincing, (I can't recall a single shot that looked fake) but were highly artistic too. They didn't just settle for straight-up realism the way most blockbusters do.

Interesting, I'm quite the opposite - one of the things that bothered me about the film is that it mostly looks quite mundane, except for House Harkonnen, which felt as if Giger designed it. Lynch's Dune has shitload of problems, but it feels much more Sci-Fi overall.

Somewhat of the topic, it seems that Villeneuve gets to direct "Rendevouz with Rama", something I've been waiting for 20 or so years since they've announced Clarke sold the rights for the movie (can't remember exactly, it was some time after Armagedon and Deep Impact)...well, at least it won't be complete garbage, which I was afraid of back then.