By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Rumor - Jason Schreier) PlayStation Plans New Service to Take On Xbox Game Pass?

No love for the Vita?????

I think it's been known for a while that Sony have been working on some sort of gamepass competitor. Though I'm doubtful this will include all first party day and date it will be a welcome addition in my opinion. PlayStation Now needs an overhaul.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:

I think it's been known for a while that Sony have been working on some sort of gamepass competitor. Though I'm doubtful this will include all first party day and date it will be a welcome addition in my opinion. PlayStation Now needs an overhaul.

IMO, I think Vita will be lumped in with PSP releases. It just makes sense to only mention PSP since that handheld is more widely known. This also is a good indication on why Sony is so hellbent on ending the PS digital store on PS3/Vita. 

As expected, Sony plans to improve PS Now with enhanced BC offering, expansion into new regions, and a complete overhaul by merging it with PS Plus. It's a little surprising they're offering three tiers though. I wonder if Sony will have a PS Plus app ready for Smart TV's with this rollout considering they had something similar for PS Now a few years back before cancelling it. 

Depending on the price and benefits, this could be a very lucrative service for consumers, and very profitable for Sony. They have a ton of PS1/PS2/PSP backlog to bolster the service without hemorrhaging revenue/profit from new first party games. Having it available worldwide will bring in a bunch of new subscribers too. It might not grow as fast, as lucrative, or as large as Game Pass this generation, but Sony having north of 10+ Million subscribers will be generating over a billion in revenue yearly, perhaps over a billion in profit since they've already made money on their back catalog. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 03 December 2021

DonFerrari said:

Annonymous source, pass it with a mountain of salt, anyway PSNow is already the competitor for GP+XCloud it is only a matter of is Sony willing to improve it enough to be competitive?

Jason Schreier is as reliable as they come for gaming journalism. 

Zippy6 said:

The Vita is their worst-selling platform ever by a massive margin. Many of the most-desired Vita games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss make heavy use of the touchscreen and touchpad. You could find some way to translate those controls just to the touchpad on DualShock 4 and DualSense, but it would be tough.

They might just lump PSP and Vita into one major category of portable titles. I would love a way to play Persona 4 Golden on PS4 and PS5. That one shouldn't be tough at all. It doesn't use any Vita features and they got it running on different OS to release it on Steam.

My big hope with this rumor is that the pricing is attractive. Nintendo's pricing is beyond absurd. Their online is already overpriced at $20 a year. And making it $50 a year to get the base online plus some Genesis/Mega Drive games, N64, and a few other things is still crazy expensive. 

Fingers crossed this service is no more expensive than Game Pass. And it should be cheaper actually since there won't be Day One first-party titles like Game Pass has. Game Pass is about $120 a year. PS Now is $60 a year. This rumored service should be about $80 a year, maybe $100 tops.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:

It might not grow as fast, as lucrative, or as large as Game Pass this generation

If it's a merge between PS+ and PS Now and adding PS1/PS2/PS3 titles, it will probably do way better than the game pass

SKMBlake said:

If it's a merge between PS+ and PS Now and adding PS1/PS2/PS3 titles, it will probably do way better than the game pass

I doubt it unless Sony did something similar to Microsoft's one dollar conversion for GPU or they pivot completely by having new first party releases on the service. There's just more appeal to having newer titles Day One compared to older titles.

However, if Sony can grow this service to 15 - 20+ Million users by the end of this generation, just on the back of their legacy content, they'll have a strong foundation in place to catch and surpass Game Pass. 

PotentHerbs said:
SKMBlake said:

I doubt it unless Sony did something similar to Microsoft's one dollar conversion for GPU or they pivot completely by having new first party releases on the service. There's just more appeal to having newer titles Day One compared to older titles.

However, if Sony can grow this service to 15 - 20+ Million users by the end of this generation, just on the back of their legacy content, they'll have a strong foundation in place to catch and surpass Game Pass. 

If it replaces PS+, you'll have around 40+ million users easy. No need for 1$ conversion.

MS is having this odd situation where it keeps Gold alive but GPU gives also access to multiplayer.

I mean just look at Nintendo: 32 million subscribers to have access to a laggy multiplayer and SNES/NES games

SKMBlake said:

If it replaces PS+, you'll have around 40+ million users easy. No need for 1$ conversion.

MS is having this odd situation where it keeps Gold alive but GPU gives also access to multiplayer.

I mean just look at Nintendo: 32 million subscribers to have access to a laggy multiplayer and SNES/NES games

PS+ is just one of three tiers though, it won't be replaced according to this report. 

SKMBlake said:
PotentHerbs said:

The report is saying that it'll be replacing PS Now out but PS+ will be retained, so PS+ will still be its own thing? 

This is definitely one of those that I need to see how Sony pitches this. Especially if there's going to be multiple tiers. I'm guessing the current PS+ will be the lowest tier going up to PS+++ LOL 

Nintendo bent our arms on their service because it's not just games. They tied the multiplayer and cloud saves to the service. So a lot of people may have cared more about multiplayer access playing Smash, Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing, while also worrying about breaking their console and losing their saves. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 03 December 2021