By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many units will Nintendo Switch sell in 2022?

How many units will Nintendo Switch sell in 2022?

12-15M 2 6.45%

15-18M 2 6.45%

18-22M 11 35.48%

22-25M 12 38.71%

25M+ 4 12.90%

Total:31

How many units will Nintendo Switch sell in 2022?

12-15M 0 $0.00 0%

15-18M 2 $750.00 6.45%

18-22M 12 $2,602.00 38.71%

22-25M 15 $4,210.75 48.39%

25M+ 2 $78.24 6.45%

Totals: 31 $7,640.99  
Game closed: 03/31/2022

I think it'll do around 22 million, so I voted 22-25 million.

It's gonna be a ridiculous year for software, plus OLED model will start having better stock. I would guess the OLED model would drop to $300 as well, with the original dropping to $250 (and maybe getting discontinued).

Software is Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, Kirby, presumably a DK game, presumably a Metroid Prime remake/remaster (1 or trilogy), advance wars, BotW2, new Mario + Rabbids, presumably Bayonetta 3, wouldn't be surprised to see (read: hoping for) a Zelda WW/TP pack, probably some other moderately big games, and I gotta think maybe a new 2D Mario game would hit as well cuz 2023 seems a little late to release a game as big as that. That's a ridiculous year. Multiple 10 million sellers and maybe even two or three 20 million sellers.

That software lineup on top of possibly a little bit of a hardware price drop and I'd be surprised if Switch doesn't get around 22 million. It is certainly passed its peak now and will drop but next year looks insanely strong. So a drop from 24/25 this year to 22 seems reasonable.

Around the Network
Kneetos said:

Between 15 and 18 million
I think it's getting to the point where everyone who wants a switch will already have one.

BOTW2 alone will boost it more than that. Then we have Splatoon 3. Mario vs Rabbids 2. Advance Wars Rebootcamp. New Kirby and Bayonetta. So it will still have games that people will want a Switch for.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I have added a poll too, for those who don't have any VGC credits!

I don't think Nintendo will be as limited component wise as the PS5 and Xbox Series will be next year. That said, I still think they are going to be in the low 20's high teens for sales. Software looks good, so I'm going to be positive and say it'll stay above 20M, but I do think it has a real chance of dropping to 19M.

This is mostly due to saturation though. If it stays close to 2021 numbers then I think Switch has a shot of being the best selling console of all time. I just personally don't think that's going to happen. 

Slownenberg said:

I think it'll do around 22 million, so I voted 22-25 million.

It's gonna be a ridiculous year for software, plus OLED model will start having better stock. I would guess the OLED model would drop to $300 as well, with the original dropping to $250 (and maybe getting discontinued).

Software is Pokemon Legends, Splatoon 3, Kirby, presumably a DK game, presumably a Metroid Prime remake/remaster (1 or trilogy), advance wars, BotW2, new Mario + Rabbids, presumably Bayonetta 3, wouldn't be surprised to see (read: hoping for) a Zelda WW/TP pack, probably some other moderately big games, and I gotta think maybe a new 2D Mario game would hit as well cuz 2023 seems a little late to release a game as big as that. That's a ridiculous year. Multiple 10 million sellers and maybe even two or three 20 million sellers.

That software lineup on top of possibly a little bit of a hardware price drop and I'd be surprised if Switch doesn't get around 22 million. It is certainly passed its peak now and will drop but next year looks insanely strong. So a drop from 24/25 this year to 22 seems reasonable.

Bayonetta 3 is guaranteed for next year, it's BotW 2 that isn't.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Why would Bayonetta 3 be guaranteed but BotW 2 isn't when they both have the same amount of information regarding their release (2022)?

Doctor_MG said:
Kakadu18 said:

Why would Bayonetta 3 be guaranteed but BotW 2 isn't when they both have the same amount of information regarding their release (2022)?

Bayonetta is just 2022, BotW 2 is aiming for 2022. I think that's a difference. The Zelda developers showed they're not 100% sure about it.

Kakadu18 said:

Bayonetta is just 2022, BotW 2 is aiming for 2022. I think that's a difference. The Zelda developers showed they're not 100% sure about it.

To be honest, I don't think any developer is 100% sure about the launch date until the game goes gold. I honestly think the fact that they even have a release window for the game, despite years of not telling us anything, means they are more confident than not. 

Switch is bound to slow down, it's gonna be north of 5 years.
But if all the releases come as expected and a few more unannounced gems - it's going to carry a lot of sales still.

I'm thinking around 20M give or take some should be a good target - With heavy hitters like Pokemon, Zelda, Mario + Rabbids, Monster Hunter, Splatoon and fan favorites like Kirby and Bayo.. it's bound to perform well still.

Doctor_MG said:
Kakadu18 said:

Unfortunately, it's almost a prerequisite for Zelda games to suffer at least one delay from their official announced release date.  I'm hoping that BOTW2 bucks the trend, though.