By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many units will Playstation 5 sell in 2022?

How many units will Playstation 5 sell in 2022?

10-15M 3 7.89%

15-18M 15 39.47%

18-20M 12 31.58%

20M+ 8 21.05%

Total:38

How many units will Playstation 5 sell in 2022?

10-15M 4 $799.00 18.18%

15-18M 7 $2,431.31 31.82%

18-20M 6 $855.00 27.27%

20M+ 5 $852.00 22.73%

Totals: 22 $4,937.31  
Game closed: 03/31/2022
Zippy6 said:

Sony said they wanted to ship 23m units next fiscal year right? That would be the most a PlayStation system has ever shipped in one year. As long as the chip shortage doesn't have a bad impact on them next year I think their sales are going to be very strong. 18-20m.

Edit: Target for fiscal year ending March 31st 2023 is 22.6m units shipped.

Also, since you seem quite confident, I would like to invite you to increase the size of your bet.  You can see that my category has the largest $ amount.  Are you all talk, or do you really believe what you are saying?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zippy6 said:

Sony said they wanted to ship 23m units next fiscal year right? That would be the most a PlayStation system has ever shipped in one year. As long as the chip shortage doesn't have a bad impact on them next year I think their sales are going to be very strong. 18-20m.

Edit: Target for fiscal year ending March 31st 2023 is 22.6m units shipped.

Also, since you seem quite confident, I would like to invite you to increase the size of your bet.  You can see that my category has the largest $ amount.  Are you all talk, or do you really believe what you are saying?

I basically have no VG$ left I'm new to this site, but if the category was "more than 15m" I'd bet my life savings.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Zippy6 said:

Sony - "We want to ship 22.6m next fiscal year"

Lineup - Horizon 2, God of War Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, 3 potential 10m+ sellers.

Liquid Laser - "THE CLIFF"

You predicted 10-11.9m for PS5 2021 in January, it will finish 13.5-14m while being completely sold out so could easily have done more. But here we are again with another underestimation.

Good luck!

The thing that hardly any other poster even asks is this question, "Where did Switch get all of these customers?"  It's a lot more than Wii U + 3DS combined.  Where did they come from?  Do you know?  Do you even have a reasonable hypothesis?  My explanation is that they switched over from PS4 and XB1.  A lot of these people are not going to switch back.  There are a lot of customers that will accept nothing less than a hybrid console going forward. 

Furthermore X|S is going to be a lot tougher competition than XB1 was.  Microsoft is throwing a lot of money around buying studios, and Gamepass is going to be an attractive offer for some customers.  

Playstation is getting hit from both consoles at once.  We aren't seeing it in first year sales, because the strategies that both Nintendo and Microsoft are using target the middle and bottom tiers of the market.  First year sales are going to go to the upper tier of the market.  That's why we aren't seeing it yet.  

Next year, 2022, will look like stagnation.  It won't look like a cliff.  I mean you say that I'm calling it "a cliff", but I'm actually saying that next year's sales are going to be pretty close to flat compared to this year (either slightly up or slightly down).  I expect a pretty decent drop in 2023 though, but considering 2022 is going to plateau it won't come without warning.

This is just a terrible way of looking at it. Because someone buys a Switch they can't buy a PS5? Nintendo's success does not result in the decline of PlayStation/Xbox.

In 2020: "More than 40% of Switch Owners in USA own a PS4/XBO".

Expecting PS5 to peak at around 14m in 2022 and then begin dropping is incredibly baffling.

But there will be clear evidence in the next few months, sony making their forecast in April 2022 will be a good date.

If they had enough stock, I think selling more than 20mil would be all but guaranteed. But they won’t. Hence, 15-18mil was my vote.

Zippy6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The thing that hardly any other poster even asks is this question, "Where did Switch get all of these customers?"  It's a lot more than Wii U + 3DS combined.  Where did they come from?  Do you know?  Do you even have a reasonable hypothesis?  My explanation is that they switched over from PS4 and XB1.  A lot of these people are not going to switch back.  There are a lot of customers that will accept nothing less than a hybrid console going forward. 

Furthermore X|S is going to be a lot tougher competition than XB1 was.  Microsoft is throwing a lot of money around buying studios, and Gamepass is going to be an attractive offer for some customers.  

Playstation is getting hit from both consoles at once.  We aren't seeing it in first year sales, because the strategies that both Nintendo and Microsoft are using target the middle and bottom tiers of the market.  First year sales are going to go to the upper tier of the market.  That's why we aren't seeing it yet.  

Next year, 2022, will look like stagnation.  It won't look like a cliff.  I mean you say that I'm calling it "a cliff", but I'm actually saying that next year's sales are going to be pretty close to flat compared to this year (either slightly up or slightly down).  I expect a pretty decent drop in 2023 though, but considering 2022 is going to plateau it won't come without warning.

This is just a terrible way of looking at it. Because someone buys a Switch they can't buy a PS5? Nintendo's success does not result in the decline of PlayStation/Xbox.

Expecting PS5 to peak at around 14m in 2022 and then begin dropping is incredibly baffling.

But there will be clear evidence in the next few months, sony making their forecast in April 2022 will be a good date.

Don’t feed them, you are just wasting your time!

Around the Network

It could land either in the 15-18m or 18-20m options, it depends entirely on how much stock they're able to produce. I'm not sure what's more likely but will go with the latter since I hope they can satisfy demand better next year.

pitzy272 said:

If they had enough stock, I think selling more than 20mil would be all but guaranteed. But they won’t. Hence, 15-18mil was my vote.

No one knows how much stock they have ordered but if their FY estimate is 20M+ then you bet they have that stock (unless something unforeseen happens during the year).

They estimated 16M this year iirc and have that amount of stock

15-18million

I'm going to say 15-18 mil. I think Sony cannot get the parts to achieve their 22 million goal for next fiscal year. The fiscal year after that? Most likely, depends on if there's still a lot of demand during that time.

kazuyamishima said:
Zippy6 said:

Don’t feed them, you are just wasting your time!

This is the comment that actually takes the cake!

Me: When sales of one system goes up, the other goes down.  The competitors are competing with each other.

Zippy 6:  No the competitors are not competing with each other.

You: Don't waste your time explaining.

In this case the Koolaid is so bad that nonsense is treated as common sense.  Meanwhile actual reasoning is treated as trolling.  That's a damn near impenetrable bubble you've got there.