By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games You've Done a Complete 180 on.

They can be for games that you absolutely loved, not you can't stand them. Games you hated, gave a second chance and now you can't get enough of it. Games you thought were pretty good, then played again and thought "....Ugh, not really." Or games you thought were not all that good, bad even, played again and thought "You know what, this game isn't actually that bad! I enjoy it!"

I recently had that experience with Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The first time I played that game, I thought it was dull and boring. It took a lot out of me to play it to the point where I just couldn't finish it, I couldn't be bothered. It just left a sour taste in my mouth. 

Then time passed, I went about my business, Metroid Dread comes out, I played the hell out of that game, beat it, and absolutely enjoyed it! So now, I'm in the mood to play some Metroid games! I replayed Prime 1 and I absolutely had a blast playing that and the main thing I took away was that I had a MUCH smoother experience and journey on my 2nd playthrough of Prime 1 than I did my first. And I believe the reason for that was because the first time I played Prime 1, that was the very first Metroid game I ever played and beat back in 2014. (Just like with Zelda, I was very late to the party.) And I struggled. I was able to eventually beat the game, but I remember dying left and right and having a very tough time with many of the bosses. 

Then, when I came back to Prime 1, I was older, I had Super, Samus Returns, and Dread under my belt. I knew what to expect, and I only got 1 Game Over, and that was just because I thought I could hotshot my way through the part of the Phazon Mines to get one of the Chozo Artifacts, and I didn't have the Phazon Suit yet. So, by the time I thought better... Yeah, too late. But other than that, it was smooth sailing.

That 2nd playthrough was via the Prime Trilogy, and I'll say this now, I may get people who disagree, but I think the motion control scheme for Primes 1 & 2 absolutely beat the traditional control scheme on the GameCube, which was how I played Prime 1 the first time - The original GameCube version. I just had a much easier time aiming and switching between beams and vizors with the Wii's motion based set-up than the GameCube's traditional set-up. 

All things considered, I had such a great time with Prime 1, saw the other 2 Prime games and thought: "Maybe I should give Prime 2 another chance. See if somethings change..."

I recently just beat Prime 2 and now I just started Prime 3 (More on that when I beat the game.)

And I can now say for certain, I enjoyed Prime 2 even more than Prime 1! The game is a little long for Metroid's standards and traveling between the Light and Dark worlds of Planet Aether can be a little tiresome. But overall, I had a MUCH more enjoyable experience here than I did my first time and so far I consider it the best of the Prime games - We'll wait and see what I think of Prime 3 before I make a final judgement.

But yeah, Metroid Prime 2 is that game for me where I did a 180. Didn't like it at first, but now I enjoy it immensely and is one of my favorites in the series.

Around the Network

I had a tough time getting into Witcher 3, I stopped 2/3 hours into it. Restarted it a few months later and completed a 100+ hour playthrough and it's in my top 50 games of all time easily.

Ocarina of Time would be another one, never had it as a kid. Tried to play the n64 version later and just couldn't last more than 2-3 hours, the frame rate makes it unplayable for me. Wasn't until I eventually tried it on 3ds that I realised what a well designed game it is.

Little Nightmares. When I first played it it felt boring and frustrating and when I got stuck I just couldn't bother trying to continue.
Maybe a year later I decided to give it a shot again and I enjoyed it way more, I don't know why, and because of that eventually even got the sequel and enjoyed that one too.

On the contrary Super Mario 64 DS. I liked it alot back in the day, but the d-pad controlls and the camera were always a bit annoying.
Tried to play the original on the Switch through 3D All-Stars and the camera made it almost unplayable for me. Insanely frustrating. Tried to replay the DS version again and the same thing. Back then I was able to get all 150 stars, now I can't handle the archaic camera controlls. It lacks everything that makes Super Mario Odyssey so smooth to play. Even Sunshine's glitchy camera is way easier to handle. It's a shame really, considering how great everything else about this game is.

There have been several bigger size games that I have started played an hour or so and given up on, only to come back to them a year or so later and enjoy them. Games in this category include Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Witcher 3, Final Fantasy X. Metroid Prime 2 mentioned by the op is interesting I also played maybe an hour of it before quitting but I never did go back to it, I wonder if I tried it again if I would like it.

Probably Astral Chain, but I keep stopping playing the game, I bought it day one but it's been 2 years now and I only did 5 files so far

Around the Network

Actually, there is a game that made me not only turn a 180 on the game itself, but the genre altogether. If you know me, you know I value story above all in games. It's why games that are perfect in almost every other way, but lack a story, can only achieve at most a 70-80 from me, such as Tropical Freeze, even though we have quality 2-d games like Trine that have great stories. But this wasn't always the case. I used to think role playing games were dumb. I was used to Warcraft, Command and Conquer, The Sims. Controlling one character? That's just stupid.

Then came Kotor. I hated it. All my friends loved it and played it. I argued, as a kid, so many times I can't count, about how stupid it was.

Then I played it and my mind was blown. Not only did I fall in love with the game, not only did I fall in love with the genre, I fell in love with games that have good stories and writing.

That game lead to the biggest perspective shift for me, ever, in regards to video games. Suddenly, games without quality stories seemed like cheap, lazy attempts, and I still have that view to this day.

Dead Space trilogy.

The first time I played Dead Space I didn't liked it. It wasn't scary at all, the gameplay was bad, and the zero gravity segments were a pain. But a couple of years later, I tried it again, and it became one of my favorite gaming series. I'm hyped for the Remake and The Callisto Protocol.

Dulfite said:

Actually, there is a game that made me not only turn a 180 on the game itself, but the genre altogether. If you know me, you know I value story above all in games. It's why games that are perfect in almost every other way, but lack a story, can only achieve at most a 70-80 from me, such as Tropical Freeze, even though we have quality 2-d games like Trine that have great stories. But this wasn't always the case. I used to think role playing games were dumb. I was used to Warcraft, Command and Conquer, The Sims. Controlling one character? That's just stupid.

Then came Kotor. I hated it. All my friends loved it and played it. I argued, as a kid, so many times I can't count, about how stupid it was.

Then I played it and my mind was blown. Not only did I fall in love with the game, not only did I fall in love with the genre, I fell in love with games that have good stories and writing.

That game lead to the biggest perspective shift for me, ever, in regards to video games. Suddenly, games without quality stories seemed like cheap, lazy attempts, and I still have that view to this day.

Then why you avoid Sony? Their games have the best screenplay 

Not judging, just curious, if you like good story you must have been depriving yourself of some quality experiences  avoiding them 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Dulfite said:

Then why you avoid Sony? Their games have the best screenplay 

Not judging, just curious, if you like good story you must have been depriving yourself of some quality experiences  avoiding them 

During my younger years that was just brand loyalty and stupidity. While I still wouldn't play the edgier games, I'd love to play gow, Spider-Man, Ghost ot Tsushima, etc. I just don't have the mental bandwidth/time to justify owning a gaming PC and two consoles, I don't have enough time with Switch/Gamepass PC games as it is. So time is the biggest thing blocking me now. Once Sony releases these games on PC I will gobble them up.

Shadow of the Colossus 

From my memories this game was a masterpiece to play on PS2, trying to figure out how to beat the colossus was a compelling experience and somehow I felt the unconstrained spaces were very welcoming in a age where 3D games were filled with small spaces and roadblocks. The game had a cinematic feel and was so atmospheric that didn't feel like anything at that age as games were mostly action packed this one was surprisingly peaceful, reflexive even 

I've played the PS4 remake the boredom hit me after the sixth Colossus. I don't know what exactly I dislike about it now, but I just don't find a game where everything you can do is go away hunting big creatures, coming back to your palace and then repeating it a dozen times. There is nothing truly bad about it, but I don't find it compelling gameplay wise, killing the Colossus gave me no sense satisfaction and the lack of rewards and sense of progression made me quit it, I don't know if I want to comeback to it again