By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games You've Done a Complete 180 on.

Metroid Prime; first time playing it I found it really boring and frustrating.
I returned to it years later and its now one of my favourite games of the 6th generation.

And Shadow of the Colossus for me too. Used to consider it a masterpiece but when I tried to replay it a couple of years back I found the framerate unplayable and wondered how I ever managed to cope with it back in the day.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

... the camera made it almost unplayable for me. Insanely frustrating. 

This applies to tons of early 3D games.  It really took a while for devs to figure out the camera stuff.  Back then, we were used to that.  Nowadays, it is like torture to play many games from that era.  

mZuzek said:
SKMBlake said:

Probably Astral Chain, but I keep stopping playing the game, I bought it day one but it's been 2 years now and I only did 5 files so far

File 6 is where it gets really good in my opinion, hopefully the 180 is coming.

And if he gets to File 8. All the puzzles and mini gamess are optional. You can skip all of them.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Tomb Raider (1996)

I was 10 when that game came out and I hated it. It was so boring and it didn't have enough action for my taste. All those puzzles and exploring was just not compatible with my brain back then.

I didn't even care to try all the sequels. About ten years later, I tried Tomb Raider Legend and enjoyed it quite a bit. So I decided to give the older games another try and I was absolutely blown away. I guess my taste in video games changed quite dramatically and I really began to enjoy the slower paced gameplay with puzzles and just a few gunfights here and there. Especially the first Tomb Raider game executed that perfectly.

I enjoyed the game so much that it became one of my all-time favourites and I fell in love with the series as a whole. I'm playing the very first one right now and enjoy every minute of it. I also realized the other day that there are no Tomb Raider games on the Nintendo Switch, which blew my mind. How is that possible? I wanted to play TR on the go, dammit!

Anyways, I'm not too happy with the route the series is taking these days. The last three games are action-packed and I think 10-year-old me would have loved them. But right now I wish they would make another one just like the original from 1996. I also like bad-ass Lara quite a bit more thant the whiney Survival-Lara from today.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:

I also realized the other day that there are no Tomb Raider games on the Nintendo Switch, which blew my mind. How is that possible? I wanted to play TR on the go, dammit!

Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris are being ported to Switch.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 November 2021

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
SKMBlake said:

Probably Astral Chain, but I keep stopping playing the game, I bought it day one but it's been 2 years now and I only did 5 files so far

File 6 is where it gets really good in my opinion, hopefully the 180 is coming.

My major issue is that my GF finds the game awful (with its cyberpunk art style) so she won't allow me to play it, so it's portable play only, and sometimes I am being lazy and wanna play on the big screen with the Pro controller.

I have the same issue with Doom Eternal actually, but I managed to almost finish it. And also Control (she hated the red-ish atmosphere) but finished it anyway

VAMatt said:
Kakadu18 said:

... the camera made it almost unplayable for me. Insanely frustrating. 

This applies to tons of early 3D games.  It really took a while for devs to figure out the camera stuff.  Back then, we were used to that.  Nowadays, it is like torture to play many games from that era.  

I know, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

I couldn't get into Deus Ex when I first tried in 2006 and it took me a few more tries until I did in 2008 and it has been my fav game since.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Skyward Sword comes to mind. After a few hours, I decided that the game was pure ass. Tried it again a few months later and something clicked. Became one of my all time favorite games.

I used to love Resident Evil Code Veronica but I kinda hate it now.

Played Skyrim at launch and got so fed up with the bugginess of it that I ended up quitting not far in when a quest glitched out and became impossible to complete.

Replaying it now, the GOTY edition with a year's worth of patching included, and I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 November 2021