By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts October 2021 Discussion Thread

Nice to see XS still charting comfortably ahead of Xbone even under supply constraints. Will be interesting to see how it goes this Christmas; the Series S is the only 9th gen home console easily available, will that serve in well in the holiday rush, or do people just not want it?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 November 2021

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

We have PS4 and Xbox One sales at 28.48 million at the end of December 2014. PS5 and Xbox Series X|S needs to sell about 6.2 million to stay ahead over the next 2 months.

Normally I'd say that'd be easily doable, but with the supply situation the way it is, who knows.

trunkswd said:
RolStoppable said:

But we know that Sony is still confident to be able to match the PS4's shipment pace while Microsoft has had no problem to ship more current Xboxes than of the Xbox One a generation ago.

So I don't see any good reason why stock should be a problem in this comparison.

The thing is PS5 shipment numbers are 400K behind PS4 at the end of September. 

It all depends on if they can't meet their forecast and just haven't told us yet lol. Because they still forecast 22.6m PS5's shipped by March 2022 and PS4 shipped 22.3m by then, so 300k more shipped.

So yeah they were 400k behind, but they still claimed to be able to be 300k ahead by March at the time they posted those numbers.

I still have a feeling they won't be able to meet that, there's just too many shortages and logistics problems at the moment. But Sony knows best so either know and haven't announced it yet or despite the world situation have managed to get everything they need for the 22.6m forecast.

Yeah with Nintendo lowering their forecast due to the chip crunch I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony has to the same. 

Still, there's no shame in selling in line with the PS4, a system that sold over 116 million units and is the #4 highest selling gaming system of all time.

Switch has pretty much already matched Wii's last significant holiday 6 months ahead of time.
Good chance that December sales will take it passed the Wii's lifetime numbers.

Around the Network

I just turned up here to ask if the PS4 vs DS in Europe chart has been discontinued.  I was watching that one closely since mid last year and was hoping you could keep it going a little longer.

It was around year 5 if I recall that 360's legs kicked in, so XS should probably lead it til around then, and fall behind one it's ancestor's second wind hits.

PS5 is doing really great compared to PS3.

I wonder how much ahead it would be if it had normal stock.

Thank you for the explanation of the PS4 vs DS in Europe chart.

A 6.4 million deficit after year 1 is a tall order to come back from, but I don't think many folks expect the Xbox Series to outsell the Switch. Honestly, I'd consider it a success if it significantly outsells the Xbox One.