By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts October 2021 Discussion Thread

RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

Yeah hard to say. There was plenty of stock of PS4s and Xbox Ones heading into the 2014 holiday season. While we know how hard it is to find a PS5 or Xbox Series X.

But we know that Sony is still confident to be able to match the PS4's shipment pace while Microsoft has had no problem to ship more current Xboxes than of the Xbox One a generation ago.

So I don't see any good reason why stock should be a problem in this comparison.

The thing is PS5 shipment numbers are 400K behind PS4 at the end of September. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
RolStoppable said:

But we know that Sony is still confident to be able to match the PS4's shipment pace while Microsoft has had no problem to ship more current Xboxes than of the Xbox One a generation ago.

So I don't see any good reason why stock should be a problem in this comparison.

It all depends on if they can't meet their forecast and just haven't told us yet lol. Because they still forecast 22.6m PS5's shipped by March 2022 and PS4 shipped 22.3m by then, so 300k more shipped.

So yeah they were 400k behind, but they still claimed to be able to be 300k ahead by March at the time they posted those numbers.

I still have a feeling they won't be able to meet that, there's just too many shortages and logistics problems at the moment. But Sony knows best so either know and haven't announced it yet or despite the world situation have managed to get everything they need for the 22.6m forecast.

Zippy6 said:
trunkswd said:

It all depends on if they can't meet their forecast and just haven't told us yet lol. Because they still forecast 22.6m PS5's shipped by March 2022 and PS4 shipped 22.3m by then, so 300k more shipped.

So yeah they were 400k behind, but they still claimed to be able to be 300k ahead by March at the time they posted those numbers.

I still have a feeling they won't be able to meet that, there's just too many shortages and logistics problems at the moment. But Sony knows best so either know and haven't announced it yet or despite the world situation have managed to get everything they need for the 22.6m forecast.

With Nintendo lowering their forecast, I have a feeing Sony won't quite match their current forecast. Not that they will be far behind. I just think if they have already fallen behind PS4 shipments, I see something like ~21-21.5m shipped for PS5 rather than 22.6m. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - October 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 332,070 - PS5

Total Lead: 389,319 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 13,869,005

Wii Total Sales: 13,479,686

October 2021 is the 12th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Wii by 332,070 units. The PlayStation 5 is now ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 389,319 units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 13.87 million units in 12 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 13.48 million units. Month 12 for the PlayStation 5 is October 2021 and for the Nintendo Wii it is October 2007.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 20 million in month 15, 30 million in month 21, and 40 million in month 26. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime.

Yeah with Nintendo lowering their forecast due to the chip crunch I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sony has to the same. 

Still, there's no shame in selling in line with the PS4, a system that sold over 116 million units and is the #4 highest selling gaming system of all time.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison - October 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,539,142 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 11,290,461 - Switch

Total Lead: 7,397,659 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 93,702,538

Wii Total Sales: 86,304,879

October 2021 is the 56th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch grew its lead by 1.54 million units when compared to the launch aligned sales of the Wii. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 11.29 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the Wii by 7.40 million units.

The 56th month for the Nintendo Switch is October 2021 and for the Wii it is June 2011. The Switch has sold 93.70 million units, while the Wii sold 86.30 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii reached current Switch sales in month 63 where it sold 94.05 million units.

The Wii sold 101.63 million units worldwide during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 7.93 million units to outsell the Wii.

the 360 & PS3 comparison vs the PS4 and XB1 is still going right ?

yo33331 said:

the 360 & PS3 comparison vs the PS4 and XB1 is still going right ?

It is. With just one a day and the weekly articles, it takes 3-4 weeks to post all the monthly comparison articles. 

Switch has pretty much already matched Wii's last significant holiday 6 months ahead of time.
Good chance that December sales will take it passed the Wii's lifetime numbers.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - October 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 471,817 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,146,819 - DS

Total Lead: 10,309,931 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 93,702,538

DS Total Sales: 104,012,469

October 2021 is the 56th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 471,817 units when compared to the DS during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 3.15 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 10.31 million units.

The 56th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is October 2021, while for the DS it is June 2009. The Switch has sold 93.70 million units, while the DS sold 104.01 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 60.32 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.