By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October NPD 2021 thread

PAOerfulone said:

So that 854k figure for Metroid Dread, is that with or without digital?

Because Nintendo typically doesn't include digital sales in these NPD reports. So did Bowser stick to that for this or did he just feel like bragging? Because if those sales are without digital, then that would make it even MORE impressive.

It's with digital. The physical sales nearly doubled Metroid Prime's debut in November 2002, which were at 363k at $50.

Metroid US launch month sales:

Metroid Prime - 363k

Metroid Fusion - 200k

Metroid Zero Mission - 152k

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 192k

Metroid Prime Pinball - 6k

Metroid Prime Hunters - 122k

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 218k

Metroid Prime Trilogy - 34k

Metroid Other M - 173k

Metroid Prime: Federation Force - 30k

Metroid Dread - 854k

Metroid Dread had a bigger launch than Metroid Prime 1, 2 and 3 combined.

Around the Network

Metroid Dread's a big success for Nintendo! That means we'll see more Metroid games coming after this and Prime 4!! :D

That gives me hope for a future 2D Mario.

The biggest congratulations should go to whoever makes the vgchartz sales estimates because they were only 1K off with 712K Switch hardware, the formula for estimating hardware must have been perfected because that is over 99.8% accurate.

That 711K aparrently puts Switch at 5.18m for NPD 2021 for comparison 2020 was at 5.57m after October. NPD 2020 finished with 8.99m so if Switch matches the Nov+Dec of last year then it will end with 8.60m for NPD 2021.

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 12 November 2021

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:

I am not a Nintendo fan in any area really but damn I respect them for coming out and giving an actual public number like this. We don't really get PR anymore with numbers etc. Everything is a god damn secret these days and companies won't say what they sold in a given month. Sony does at times with quarterly shipments or software milestones but for the most part they suck at this and never give NPD numbers anymore. Microsoft is the worst offender for that with having to breakdown HW revenue to even hazard a guess at what they sold.

Microsoft are bad losers, they were giving hardware figures but only when XB360 was the dominant platform. At least Nintendo were manning up and giving hardware data even when the Wii U was turning in pathetic numbers that had it's competitors laughing themselves to death.

trunkswd said:
Chrkeller said:

Where is the cliff?

I do sincerely think the Switch is top 3 all time. It will hit a good 130 million, with perhaps more. Massive success.

Top 3 is pretty much guaranteed at this point. It is going to pass the Wii and PS1 by the end of the year and pass the PS4 before the end of next year. 

Top 3 is now a foregone conclusion with PS4 dead in the dirt having it's legs chopped off by Sony, it won't get passed gameboy numbers now. So Switch beating 118.69m of gameboy is 100% going to happen. i think the range is between 140 to 170 million, Big price cuts and a late 2024 release for it's successor will push it closer to 170.

What we REALLY need now is a 2D Metroid compilation!!

Zero Mission, Samus Returns, Super, and Fusion all in one package updated with Dread’s control scheme and aesthetics!

That last one may be wishful thinking on my part, but I don’t care! Make sure all those new players are here to stay by giving them the first 4 2D games in the series!

Really glad for Metroid

See Nintendo, when you market your games well. Of course, with the help of good word of mouth and the "Switch effect"

My breakdown in my best estimate. Ship+Digital by roughly first week of November-ish

NoA: 1150k-1200k
Asia: 275k
Euro: 500k
RotW: 200k

total: roughly 2mil

NoA [spoiler] US 854k sold with digital I say 75k-100k on shelves ready to be sold to make it 925k-950k First month of US. Canada is usually 10% of US so I have it around 125k-150k ship+digital and Mexico a bit lower at 75k-90k [/spoiler]

Asia [spoiler] 126k retail with 10k on shelves imo. Add in digital because of vouchers and out of stock for a week or so puts it around 230k. Add 45k total for rest of Asia 275k! [/spoiler]

Euro [spoiler] UK 39k with let’s say 11k on shelves 50k. Same with Spain 34k to make it 45k. Add digital it’s 70k UK / 65k Spain ship+Digital 135k. France if true had a rumored 120k shipment initially. With digital put it around let’s say 160k. Germany and all the other countries combine for ship+digital 200k. Roughly 500k imo [/spoiler]