By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

#46 Doom 64
guessed by Kakadu18
platform Switch/Stadia
release year 1997
developer/publisher Midway
genre first person shooter
links Wikipedia

As I wasn't playing on console until Dreamcast and didn't own one myself until Wii and DS, I never saw or played on N64. So I never even heard of Doom 64. Until it got rereleased recently.

I played the original Doom incarnations, but Doom 64 I find personally better for my tastes. Levels had more recognizability than the first two, while gameplay still was working as before. The game is also much more full of secrets. And add to that a somewhat creepy atmosphere. This works well for me.

It is quite surprising the game wasn't made by id software, as it feels like the first two Doom games in many regards. But Midway very much captured the essence of Doom, while being able to inject their own identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AADoQGgaVp0&ab_channel=GamingBolt

Last edited by Mnementh - on 16 November 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Eric2048 said:

#50 This First Person Shooter which involves some platforming was somewhat overshadowed when it first released.

Hint 2: There is a level in which you use time travel to navigate through a destroyed lab.

#48 This is the third game in this Franchise which hadn't seen a new entry for many years. 

Hint 2: In this game you travel to various location around the world.

#47 A 3d platformer in which you collect "Time Pieces".

Hint 2: It was developed by a small indie studio.

#47: A Hat in Time

That's right

more hints:

#45: After you seemingly died in your sleep, you find that you can return to your own world through a mirror after first finding the sun, moon and the stars. Darashiva used the chance for the easy score.

#44: Sally tries to find Emily in this Nightmare. The arcade level actually has a machine with a previous title from the same developer. Said previous game on the arcade machine is in the list of S.Peelman.

#43: This game all about collecting, crafting and building actually is a spin-off in one of the oldest RPG franchises. Guessed by Zippy6.

#42: The character you choose is declared the saviour of the world and thrown into jail right at the beginning of the game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

mZuzek said:
coolbeans said:

#44 - Hyper Light Drifter (I'm sure you're looking forward to Solar Ash too)

Actually, I didn't even remember it was a thing. I hope it's good, but I'm not sure I'll be playing it immediately. Hyper Light Drifter is something I played through once and never came back to, kinda feels like a distant one-time thing by now. I don't care about it too much personally, even though the game was awesome. But to be fair, I haven't really been looking forward to any games too much for some time now, except for the two October releases. Can't remember the last time I was hyped for a game outside of those two, and I'm not really hyped for anything right now. But anyways. It is Hyper Light Drifter.

#45 - Due to some issue between the composer and developers, later re-releases of it had a new soundtrack.
Hint 2 - It's a platformer that got a sequel last year, roughly a decade after the first one.

#45 Spelunky

mZuzek said:
Kakadu18 said:

#45 Spelunky

I have no idea what that is.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spelunky

Great game. After further research the first hint doesn't fit at all to it. Spelunky 2 released last year though.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spelunky-2

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

#45 - Due to some issue between the composer and developers, later re-releases of it had a new soundtrack.
Hint 2 - It's a platformer that got a sequel last year, roughly a decade after the first one.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

#45: Okami HD

A great and beautiful adventure full of heart.

This is an action-adventure game with a wonderful artstyle and fun gameplay with a very unique concept.

It generally reminds of Zelda games, that alone made me like it more and it's also as good as some of them. The drawing concept is genius and creates some great gameplay. The combat and puzzles are very engaging because of that.

The world is fun to explore with alot of stuff to find and do. The Story is really engaging with some great characters. The boss fights are creative and especially the final boss is epic and menacing.

It's sad how it wasn't a success at first.

Okami is a beautiful and unique game with a ton of great ideas that really grew on me the more I played it and I really love it.

more hints:

#45: After you seemingly died in your sleep, you find that you can return to your own world through a mirror after first finding the sun, moon and the stars. Darashiva used the chance for the easy score.

#44: Sally tries to find Emily in this Nightmare. The arcade level actually has a machine with a previous title from the same developer. Said previous game on the arcade machine is in the list of S.Peelman. The game includes a school, an arcade and a mine as levels and transforms them in some creepy way.

#43: This game all about collecting, crafting and building actually is a spin-off in one of the oldest RPG franchises. Guessed by Zippy6.

#42: The character you choose is declared the saviour of the world and thrown into jail right at the beginning of the game. Explore the world in 3rd-person view while batlling the turn-based with you armies in an overview from above.

#41: The newest entry in this long-running franchise adds a lot of mobility.

Eric2048 said:
Farsala said:

#45- This is like GTA in Asia, but better.

Sleeping Dogs

That it is.

Too bad for the devs :(.

45. "Clean is better than dirty! And dirty's meaner than cle- ALL THAT SHIT FOR A POSTCARD?!?!?"