By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

TheWalrusCaesar said:

Alright I'm gonna be sorta out for a little so I'm gonna throw out some hints to all my games up til 40. Most of them are very easy I think

#47 - the start to probably the biggest horror game franchise - Guessed by Zippy6
#46 - One of the central characters introduced here share’s the name of Mike Wazowski’s buddy - Guessed by Zippy6
#45 - Red blobs slowly fight you in virtual reality - Guessed by Zippy6
#44 - Blink and you miss it
#43 - the box art prominently displays a deemed mostly useless motion based peripheral - Guessed by S.Peelman
#42 - Finishing the fight
#41 - A game where you forcibly deprive an innocent animal of his position in power he had previously held for over 10 years - Guessed by Zippy6

Alright gonna throw out another hint for the 2 not gotten.

#44 - an indie game released this year

#42 - Game in a series that is particularly relevant on this day today

Around the Network

Unguessed

New on the list this year is 'RiMe'. I played it a couple of years ago, but this year I'm in the mood to mention other games, and this one made an impact on me. It is a light puzzle-exploration game that follows a boy that's stranded on a mysterious island. It seems uninhabited, aside from a large bird and mysterious dark entities. At the centre of the island there's a very tall tower to which you get directed to by a mysterious fox and a man in a red cape. During the story, you find out more and more of what happened that led to you being on the island through flashback cutscenes. At the top of the tower though, the story comes to a big twist at the end. It seems that it actually all played in the mind of a grieving father, that lost his son at sea, and he tries to envision his son coming back to him.

I got the game when I got the Switch. I bought, if I remember correctly, three games with it. Something safe, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and something I wouldn't normally get when a system matures because by then there's more games to play. The box of 'RiMe' caught my eye, and it wasn't expensive. The game itself is as beautiful as the artwork, and the story is conveyed in a nice and subtle way, purely visually without any dialogue. It's short, but I was genuinely surprised by the end, and these kind of surprises are the most memorable ones.

TheWalrusCaesar said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

Alright I'm gonna be sorta out for a little so I'm gonna throw out some hints to all my games up til 40. Most of them are very easy I think

#47 - the start to probably the biggest horror game franchise - Guessed by Zippy6
#46 - One of the central characters introduced here share’s the name of Mike Wazowski’s buddy - Guessed by Zippy6
#45 - Red blobs slowly fight you in virtual reality - Guessed by Zippy6
#44 - Blink and you miss it
#43 - the box art prominently displays a deemed mostly useless motion based peripheral - Guessed by S.Peelman
#42 - Finishing the fight
#41 - A game where you forcibly deprive an innocent animal of his position in power he had previously held for over 10 years - Guessed by Zippy6

Alright gonna throw out another hint for the 2 not gotten.

#44 - an indie game released this year

#42 - Game in a series that is particularly relevant on this day today

#42 Halo

So #47 was RiMe, and remained unguessed unfortunately. #43 has been guessed by Zippy6, Virtua Tennis, but here's the first hint for #42.

#43: Perhaps a hard game to guess and make hints for, but a certain console maker used to make a series of sports games of which the first word (though there's also a game with this first word that's not a sports game) was always the same. This game has something to do with yellow balls. Virtua Tennis - Guessed by Zippy6

#42: Your callsign seems to assume you're still a rookie, even though you've already been a pilot in a serious adventure in the previous game.

Okay I'm gonna give this thread a go. Hopefully my hints aren't too easy.

#50 This First Person Shooter which involves some platforming was somewhat overshadowed when it first released.
#49 This is the third game from this franchise which is known mainly for it's difficulty
#48 This is the third game in this Franchise which hadn't seen a new entry for many years.
#47 A 3d platformer in which you collect "Time Pieces".
#46 The first 3d entry from this well known franchise.
#45 A Jrpg from the developer also known for Dark Cloud.

Around the Network
Eric2048 said:

#50 This First Person Shooter which involves some platforming was somewhat overshadowed when it first released.
#49 This is the third game from this franchise which is known mainly for it's difficulty
#48 This is the third game in this Franchise which hadn't seen a new entry for many years.

#50 Doom Eternal?

#49 Dark Souls 3

#46 Super Mario 64

Eric2048 said:

#48: Luigis Mansion 3?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Kakadu18 said:
Eric2048 said:

#50 Doom Eternal?

#49 Dark Souls 3

#46 Super Mario 64

#50 nope, good guess though.

#49 yes, correct

#46 correct

Mnementh said:
Eric2048 said:

#48: Luigis Mansion 3?

#48 nope

Hint: 3rd times the charm, or is it the 4th? Either way there's baddies in this city to punch and this time I brought my car. Many people wish I didn't but I did!
Guessed by: Machina

The black sheep of the series for many people, the final batman game was my favourite of the bunch, slightly ahead of asylum. It still had the city setting of Arkham City yet had a very handy radial menu for setting waypoints to whichever main or side objective you wanted to tackle next, no more having to look at a busy map full of icons to pick something. It was streamlined from it's predecessor and in my opinion had a slightly more interesting story also. There are cases to be made for Asylum's more focused approach but in terms of the 3 open-world batman games that came after Arkham Knight is the clear winner for me. Maybe it helps I didn't find the batmobile parts as egregiously horrific as many seemed to.