By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread | The 12th Annual Greatest Games Event

Hm, I'm disappointed. Not a single person that I saw used 'Press X to JASON' as a hint!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

1. 15,000 hours.

The approximate amount of time I spent playing this game, or thinking about playing this game.

Most of that time was spent between 2005 and 2012. In fact, I played more than I slept. In addition I probably spent over $1000 on the game, well worth it.

Honorable mentions and games #50 to #45: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345764

Games #44 to #40: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345857

Games #39 to #36: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9345971

Games #35 to #31: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346168

Games #30 to #26: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346322

Games #25 to #21: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346754

Games #20 to #16: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9346987

Games #15 to #11: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9347256

Now, I finally enter the top 10 :

#10 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask

Majora's Mask has a very dark and depressing atmosphere that I reallly like due to the permanent sense of impending doom that is evokes on you while playing, which is also reflected in the way the NPCs act. The Three Days time limit system, which makes MM completely stand out from the rest of the series, allows for every NPC to change their activities depending on the hour of the day, which results in Clock Town being the town that feels alive the most in all Zelda games. While the main quest is well made, the aspect where MM truly shines are its side quests, which feature some truly memorable moments and help to flesh out the different NPCs. Another feature that I really like about this game are the mask transformations, which add some extra depth to the gameplay.

#09 - Shadow of the Colossus

This game is such a unique experience, mainly thanks to its desolate and mysterious atmosphere, which is simply captivating, as well as thanks to the majestic battles against the colossi. Said boss battles are each like their own big puzzle, and they're just incredible experiences, climbing over a colossus and fearing that you'll fall, while trying to find the correct strategy to defeat it, evokes so many feelings that not many other games are able to evoke. While your aim is to defeat the colossi to revive Mono, as you progress through the game you start questioning the morality of your actions, which takes me to the game's subtle storytelling being one of its biggest strengths. The ending is incredibly memorable and one of my favorites in gaming.

#08 - Tales of the Abyss

I love this game's story, not only because I found it to be pretty engaging, but also because I really like the topics of self-discovery and growth that it deals with, it's really great to see the way the main protagonist Luke grows as the story progresses; but not only the protagonist changes, the relationships between the other characters also change over time, since at first they don't get along very well, but as time passes they learn to actually become friends. Overall, Abyss does a great job at fleshing out not only the main cast, but also the villains, their motivations, and their relationships with the protagonists. I also love how deep the lore of the game's world is, as well as the whole concept of the setting. It must be mentioned that this game has a lot of side content, which allows you to know the characters better.

#07 - Hades

The highest new entry in this list, admittedly I still haven't finished it but I think I've played enough to include it. This game's gameplay loop is just so addicting to me, every run feels different from the previous one, especially if you choose a different weapon + you will always be acquiring different abilities on each run. I also really like how I always feel like I'm progressing and getting stronger after each run. The combat system is incredibly fluid and engaging, and all the weapons feel very different to use from each other. Even if I love the gameplay flow, the game wouldn't be this high in the list if it wasn't for all the incredibly likeable and memorable characters it has, I really like how you build affinity with them as you talk more to them or give them gifts, which at the same time allows you to learn more about their backgrounds and personalities. I also LOVE the game's setting (one of the main reasons I bought it) and the art-style, and the music is so amazing.

#06 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Ocarina of Time is one of the most well rounded experiences of the Zelda series, not only it's the best paced game out of the pre-BotW 3D Zeldas, but it also features some of the best dungeons in the series, which shine mainly thanks to their well designed layouts and the way you play with said layouts to get to the boss, as well as thanks to their atmospheres. The boss battles are also very well designed and engaging to fight (I particularly love Twinrova), and while the items are nothing particularly innovative, they're fun to use. The story, while simple, features some really moving and memorable moments. Overall, OoT's highs are probably not as high as the ones in other games in the series, but it doesn't have any particularly annoying lows neither. To finish, I want to say that OoT has probably my favorite OST in the series.

Aside from Hades, I'm currently playing Dragon Quest XI, and I feel like it's top 10 material, but I decided to not to include in this year's list because I'm still kinda early in the game.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 31 December 2021

coolbeans said:
Farsala said:

1. 15,000 hours.

The approximate amount of time I spent playing this game, or thinking about playing this game.

Most of that time was spent between 2005 and 2012. In fact, I played more than I slept. In addition I probably spent over $1000 on the game, well worth it.

World of Warcraft?

That is correct.

And with that, my top 50 list is complete. I already have some adjustments in mind for next year though.

Link_Nines.XBC said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Adding what I think will be the final hints. Take your guesses.

5) Released in the same year as Read Dead Redemption and has a main character who John Marston reminded me of

Hint 2: Only this guy is more of a space cowboy

Hint 3: The game also had 2 major expansions where different characters take center stage, including the villain that you "save" at the end of the base game.

Hint 4: I've only hinted at the campaign so far, but the series is best known for it's competitive multiplayer and e-sports scene

1) A mission to save your world becomes a lot more complicated when you learn the cost

Hint 2: Both your childhood friend and another world will have to be sacrificed

Hint 3: But this dual-wielding, spiky-haired idealist ain't gonna let that happen

1) Maybe Tales of Symphonia?

Scratch that maybe, because you're absolutely right!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

One extra hint for the final unguessed game:

5) Released in the same year as Read Dead Redemption and has a main character who John Marston reminded me of

Hint 3: The game also had 2 major expansions where different characters take center stage, including the villain that you "save" at the end of the base game.

Hint 4: I've only hinted at the campaign so far, but the series is best known for it's competitive multiplayer and e-sports scene

Hint 5: It's an RTS

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Starcraft 2 I guess.

Freespace 2

YoY: =

Probably one of the more obscure games on my list, Freespace 2 is a brilliant space combat simulator with one of the best stories in video games. It continued the story that began in Descent: Freespace - The Great War, and was intended to lead into another game eventually. As such, it ended on a cliffhanger, which unfortunately will likely never get resolved. Despite being critically acclaimed at the time of its release, Freespace 2 never sold very well, putting a stop to any plans for more games in the series. These days the rights of the series are in Interplay's hands after they bought them when THQ went bankrupt. The cost of the rights was $7500, showing quite clearly what the value of the IP is these days.

It's a shame nothing will likely ever come off Interplay owning the IP, but I suppose one can always hope. Seeing what a talented developer could do with the Freespace licence on modern hardware would be something amazing to behold.

Farsala said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Starcraft 2 I guess.

And you guessed right!

Well then, that's my full top 50 for this year. Will probably name a few Honorable Mentions in a couple of days when I have time, including the few games from last years list that had to be cut.

Kakadu18 said:

50. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
49. Super Mario Bros. 3
48. Tetris 99
47. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
46. Tetris Effect: Connected
45. Okami HD
44. Fire Emblem: Awakening
43. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
42. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
41. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
40. Sid Meier's Civilisation VI
39. Sniper Elite 4
38. Luigi's Mansion 2
37. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
36. Minecraft
35. The Walking Dead
34. The Walking Dead: Season 2
33. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
32. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
31. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox
30. Luigi's Mansion
29. Luigi's Mansion 3
28. Hitman 3
27. Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
26. Super Mario 3D Land
25. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
24. Xenoblade Chronicles 2
23. Super Paper Mario
22. Monster Hunter Rise
21. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
20. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
19. Super Mario Galaxy 2
18. DOOM
17. Splatoon 2
16. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
15. Ori and the Blind Forest
14. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD
13. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
12. DOOM Eternal
11. Super Mario Galaxy
10. Super Mario Odyssey
9. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
7. Metroid Dread
6. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
5. Super Mario Sunshine
4. Astral Chain

3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

#1 should be pretty easy even without an actual hint I think. Just give your best guess anyone.