By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saber thinks, there is no such thing as an "impossible port" for Switch

Tagged games:

The question was never improbability but is it worth it for the developers/publishers?

Around the Network

Let's see Bulk Slash running on a Saturn emulator running smoothly and little imput lag on Switch.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

PSwii60 said:

The question was never improbability but is it worth it for the developers/publishers?

We're more than halfway through Switch's 5th year at this point, I think if these kind of "impossible" ports like World War Z weren't worth it, they would've stopped a long time ago.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 October 2021

I mean, yeah it's true.
But there are probably going to be some PS5/Series X games that would only be able to run 240p 30fps (or less) with awful textures and screen tearing.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I mean, yeah it's true.
But there are probably going to be some PS5/Series X games that would only be able to run 240p 30fps (or less) with awful textures and screen tearing.

Yeah I don't expect we'll see any PS5/Xbox Series games ported to Switch, as at that point it's kinda like trying to port a PS4/Xbone game to the Vita.

Just about anything on PS4/Xbone should be possible though, excluding of course stuff that's off limits for other reasons like first party Sony games.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

I mean, yeah it's true.

The funny thing about post like these is that neither Sony or Micro are even making exclusives for them. So when exactly are these Ps5 or Xbox series even coming? By the time those plats have sold enough to warrant next gen only, Switch's successor will be on the way anyways. Also the Switch doesn't need titles from them to sell well.

JWeinCom said:

Dead Rising was ported to Wii
Street Fighter Alpha 3 was ported to the GBA
Xenosaga was ported to Nintendo DS.
Guitar Hero was ported to Nintendo DS

If there's a will, there's a way.

Actually, none of those are PORTS. More like remakes using entirely different engines and assets to better fit the hardware. Pretty much everything coming to Switch has actually been ports with minor tweaks.

I believe the CoD games on Wii were actually running the same engines as the PS360, so those were ports. Meanwhile something like Dead Rising was rebuilt using the RE4 engine, so its not a port.

Are developers going to essentially remake games or create a different version to better fit the Switch? I doubt it, it won't be common at least.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

xPhenom08x said:
Wman1996 said:

I mean, yeah it's true.

The funny thing about post like these is that neither Sony or Micro are even making exclusives for them. So when exactly are these Ps5 or Xbox series even coming? By the time those plats have sold enough to warrant next gen only, Switch's successor will be on the way anyways. Also the Switch doesn't need titles from them to sell well.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Returnal.

The main thing you need for a competent Switch port is a dev team with the right combination of hard work and talent.  Saber clearly has that.  In fact, I even suspect that hard work is even more important than talent in these situations.  A lot of these Switch "bad ports" are really "lazy ports".

The other factor is that we are now at a point in video game history where adding a ton of raw power doesn't give a whole lot more in effective output.  It improves graphical capability somewhat, but that is about it.  It used to be that new hardware would also enable new and better gameplay and not just better graphics.  I don't think Street Fighter 2 could have been ported to the NES without major sacrifices in gameplay, but it runs great on 16-bit consoles.  I don't think open world games like GTA3 or Shenmue would have worked on the PS1, but they work great on Generation 6 systems.  I even think the giant boss fights in Dark Souls wouldn't work in an earlier generation, because on the PS2 the best we got was Shadow of the Colossus (and those are really not the same thing, gameplay wise).

However, I haven't seen any games yet that have gameplay that wouldn't work on the Switch.  Maybe VR games? (But those aren't really popular yet.)  As far as non-VR games, the Switch can play all of them without sacrificing gameplay.