By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition Trailer

curl-6 said:
EricHiggin said:

Well that's besides the point. The mindset in general is what matters and that's not a position only you hold. It in a way speaks for many, even if that's not what was intended.

Large entities do as they please. To T2 and R*, porting GTAV likely is at the bottom of the list of priorities. Focusing more on GTAV Online and GTA6 is probably more beneficial to them. Who knows, heck, they may plan to go above and beyond with GTA6 and do everything they can to make sure it's playable on Switch 2, on day 1. Would Nin gamers rather have that, or GTAV on Switch soon instead, if they had the choice?

It's not an either/or thing. There's nothing stopping them doing both. Sometimes companies, even the big successful ones, just make bad calls.

Just because a company exists, even if it's unfathomably massive, doesn't mean they can do anything. In fact, once companies get that big, they always let off the gas and coast more eventually. Sometimes too much. Priorities also matter and tend to change. The bigger the company, the less likely they are going to go out of their way to please the audience like they used to, and much of the time they get away with it, which just makes things worse.

Could they make all that and more happen? Sure, but so could everyone else, and many don't. Everyone has choices to make and only so much time.

Around the Network

That's what port studios are for. Farm it out.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I don't understand the "GTA V wouldn't run on the Switch without a massive downgrade" discussion, aren't we past that point ?

I mean the main limitation of the Switch is its bandwidth, and it's at 25Gb/s, which is on par with the Xbox 360 and PS3. And in comparison of the other elements, its architecture is more "modern" and habe way more RAM.

As long as the God awful controls are improved and they all run in 60fps, I'm all in. 60 bucks for vastly improved 3 out of 10 best games ever made (IMO), totally worth it, at least for me.

curl-6 said:
EricHiggin said:

Crysis 2&3 aren't open world though are they?

Witcher 3 and Dying Light are, and are a generation ahead of GTA5 on PS3/360, and run on Switch.

Switch is significantly more capable than PS3/360, running their version of GTA5 on it shouldn't pose a problem.

Witcher 3 and Dying Light were made for a gen 8 architeture so it is very much likely easier to port to Switch (that uses a closer architeture to this than to gen7), so the version running on PS3 and X360 would likely need much more work to port than a PS4 and X1 version, which them would need the cuts (sure not possible, but they likely thought that it wasn't worthy at the moment, Switch came long after the PS4 and X1 so it wouldn't be part of the same port effort).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Witcher 3 and Dying Light are, and are a generation ahead of GTA5 on PS3/360, and run on Switch.

Switch is significantly more capable than PS3/360, running their version of GTA5 on it shouldn't pose a problem.

Witcher 3 and Dying Light were made for a gen 8 architeture so it is very much likely easier to port to Switch (that uses a closer architeture to this than to gen7), so the version running on PS3 and X360 would likely need much more work to port than a PS4 and X1 version, which them would need the cuts (sure not possible, but they likely thought that it wasn't worthy at the moment, Switch came long after the PS4 and X1 so it wouldn't be part of the same port effort).

What about L.A. Noire then ? Made for the CELL architecture, is an open world, but was ported to the Switch and runs at native resolution.

SKMBlake said:
DonFerrari said:

What about L.A. Noire then ? Made for the CELL architecture, is an open world, but was ported to the Switch and runs at native resolution.

Haven't said it can't be done, I said it is likely more work to patch the gen7 than gen8 games to switch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

https://twitter.com/DirectFeedGames/status/1452717342123864074?t=4p-zymbD8WpcK6LxlwjeTQ&s=19

Apparently the game will indeed need an additionnal download on the Switch for the cartridge version.

And Nintendo is actually distributing the game, which is like the weirdest thing ever

Have rockstar confirmed resolution and fps on PS4/Xbone and Switch?

In one page I found that the Switch version would run at 30fps but no other info.

The price for the Switch version here in Australia is cheaper than the other 2, but after reading that it will require extra downloads, it comes clearly why.

Last edited by kazuyamishima - on 25 October 2021

kazuyamishima said:

Have rockstar confirmed resolution and fps on PS4/Xbone and Switch?

In one page I found that the Switch version would run at 30fps but no other info.

The price for the Switch version here in Australia is cheaper than the other 2, but after reading that it will require extra downloads, it comes clear why.

They said 4k and 60fps support on PS5 and Series X so it would be plausible to have 1080p@30 on other platforms and maybe 900p/720p on the Switch