By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition Trailer

Looks better than I expected but in an era of remakes its disappointing to get remasters.



Around the Network
cycycychris said:
Radek said:

Ok I see that's confusing then. Yeah Rockstar has ton of money, but this doesn't mean they won't act cheap.

Remember L.A. Noire wasn't all on the card back in 2017, I expect Rockstar to use 16 GB card max this time.

Let's not also forget that they charged an extra $10 switch tax with LA Noire and didn't even put the whole game on the cart.

Fuck. So they charged the switch tax and still didn't put the whole game on the cart? Damn, there goes the slight hope I had for them putting everything on the cart...



Surprisingly much work has been put into this, although I'm not 100% sold on the style change.



DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

So I guess we can finally put to bed the oft-repeated notions that Nintendo and Rockstar have some deep disagreement that means GTA would never come to Switch or that Nintendo wouldn't allow such content on their platform. (Which was always nonsense anyway since they allow the likes of Outlast II, Wolfenstein II, etc)

It was just a matter of they thinking if they would make return on the investment and cutting down to run on the machine as with every other 3rd party. I guess the thinking of 3rd parties hating Nintendo can die.

In the case of GTA5 you wouldn't have to cut it down as it already runs on hardware weaker than the Switch, and a return on investment is a no brainer for one of the most popular games ever on what's soon to be one of the most popular systems ever.

I wouldn't say third parties "hate" Nintendo, simply that as with every company there are times when they make bad calls, because companies are run by human beings, and human beings are imperfect.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

It was just a matter of they thinking if they would make return on the investment and cutting down to run on the machine as with every other 3rd party. I guess the thinking of 3rd parties hating Nintendo can die.

In the case of GTA5 you wouldn't have to cut it down as it already runs on hardware weaker than the Switch, and a return on investment is a no brainer for one of the most popular games ever on what's soon to be one of the most popular systems ever.

I wouldn't say third parties "hate" Nintendo, simply that as with every company there are times when they make bad calls, because companies are run by human beings, and human beings are imperfect.

The version that runned on PS3 and X360 likelly wouldn't work ported to Switch, but perhaps it could. Since they are even porting to PS5 and Series they had time to think if it was an error to not port it to Switch and correct that, apparently people still buys it a lot even so long after release (but I saw some complaining that the biggest focus for GTA5 for R* is the online and that would be a problem on Switch, which I dunno if really would be).



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

In the case of GTA5 you wouldn't have to cut it down as it already runs on hardware weaker than the Switch, and a return on investment is a no brainer for one of the most popular games ever on what's soon to be one of the most popular systems ever.

I wouldn't say third parties "hate" Nintendo, simply that as with every company there are times when they make bad calls, because companies are run by human beings, and human beings are imperfect.

The version that runned on PS3 and X360 likelly wouldn't work ported to Switch, but perhaps it could. Since they are even porting to PS5 and Series they had time to think if it was an error to not port it to Switch and correct that, apparently people still buys it a lot even so long after release (but I saw some complaining that the biggest focus for GTA5 for R* is the online and that would be a problem on Switch, which I dunno if really would be).

Switch already runs games way from demanding than the PS3/360 version of GTA5, like Witcher 3, Dying Light, Crysis Remastered, Doom Eternal, etc.

Just cos someone makes a mistake doesn't necessarily mean they'll rethink and correct that mistake.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Cobretti2 said:
cycycychris said:

Let's not also forget that they charged an extra $10 switch tax with LA Noire and didn't even put the whole game on the cart.

Indeed.

I am happy to pay the cart Tax if it means we get the full game though. 

Base price for LA Noire is still 49.99 on eShop.   I'm surprised they even releasing Switch version.   Their lazy asses can't even put GTA5 on Switch which would sell a few million.   Probably because they don't want to bother with their cash cow GTA online for Switch.  They could just put GTA5 single player game and it would still sell a few million.  GTA online full of cheaters and they can't even fix that.

Last edited by sethnintendo - on 24 October 2021

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

The version that runned on PS3 and X360 likelly wouldn't work ported to Switch, but perhaps it could. Since they are even porting to PS5 and Series they had time to think if it was an error to not port it to Switch and correct that, apparently people still buys it a lot even so long after release (but I saw some complaining that the biggest focus for GTA5 for R* is the online and that would be a problem on Switch, which I dunno if really would be).

Switch already runs games way from demanding than the PS3/360 version of GTA5, like Witcher 3, Dying Light, Crysis Remastered, Doom Eternal, etc.

Just cos someone makes a mistake doesn't necessarily mean they'll rethink and correct that mistake.

sethnintendo said:
Cobretti2 said:

Indeed.

I am happy to pay the cart Tax if it means we get the full game though. 

Base price for LA Noire is still 49.99 on eShop.   I'm surprised they even releasing Switch version.   Their lazy asses can't even put GTA5 on Switch which would sell a few million.   Probably because they don't want to bother with their cash cow GTA online for Switch.  They could just put GTA5 single player game and it would still sell a few million.  GTA online full of cheaters and they can't even fix that.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

So I guess we can finally put to bed the oft-repeated notions that Nintendo and Rockstar have some deep disagreement that means GTA would never come to Switch or that Nintendo wouldn't allow such content on their platform. (Which was always nonsense anyway since they allow the likes of Outlast II, Wolfenstein II, etc)

Yes, and no.

The GTA Trilogye remakster is a "trial", the classic "if people buy that means people only want this" and "if people don't buy that means there is no audience for this kind of game on this platform"

Trilogy is likely the test, correct. If this does well enough, then you can almost be certain you'll see GTAV on Switch 2. Rockstar could try to do a cross gen release of GTAV on Switch and Switch 2 to cash in big like the rest of the cross gen releases, but that would also be much more work. The Switch version may be too much of a downgrade however, who knows? Then it would be simple to just put GTAV on Switch 2 like the trilogy on Switch.



EricHiggin said:
curl-6 said:

Switch already runs games way from demanding than the PS3/360 version of GTA5, like Witcher 3, Dying Light, Crysis Remastered, Doom Eternal, etc.

Just cos someone makes a mistake doesn't necessarily mean they'll rethink and correct that mistake.

sethnintendo said:

Base price for LA Noire is still 49.99 on eShop.   I'm surprised they even releasing Switch version.   Their lazy asses can't even put GTA5 on Switch which would sell a few million.   Probably because they don't want to bother with their cash cow GTA online for Switch.  They could just put GTA5 single player game and it would still sell a few million.  GTA online full of cheaters and they can't even fix that.

SKMBlake said:

Yes, and no.

The GTA Trilogye remakster is a "trial", the classic "if people buy that means people only want this" and "if people don't buy that means there is no audience for this kind of game on this platform"

Trilogy is likely the test, correct. If this does well enough, then you can almost be certain you'll see GTAV on Switch 2. Rockstar could try to do a cross gen release of GTAV on Switch and Switch 2 to cash in big like the rest of the cross gen releases, but that would also be much more work. The Switch version may be too much of a downgrade however, who knows? Then it would be simple to just put GTAV on Switch 2 like the trilogy on Switch.

Probably Switch 2.   Most Nintendo fans are tired of tests.   EA would be the worst offender for test on last two Nintendo systems.   If GTA trilogy sells 3+ million on Switch and Rockstar still ignores it then it would be on them.   I know Nintendo has inferior hardware but GTAV is two generations back game.   Not that I care since I have it on PC but I'm just wondering why they don't put minimum effort to make money.  It can't be that hard of a port.   There has to be some kind of biased against Nintendo like there is at EA.  I'll give them credit though they could have just ignored the Switch.  So here we go....   Test number one thousand for Switch owners.   At least some developers had the balls this generation to put games on it that neglected Nintendo systems in past like Bethesda.



sethnintendo said:
EricHiggin said:
sethnintendo said:

Base price for LA Noire is still 49.99 on eShop.   I'm surprised they even releasing Switch version.   Their lazy asses can't even put GTA5 on Switch which would sell a few million.   Probably because they don't want to bother with their cash cow GTA online for Switch.  They could just put GTA5 single player game and it would still sell a few million.  GTA online full of cheaters and they can't even fix that.

Trilogy is likely the test, correct. If this does well enough, then you can almost be certain you'll see GTAV on Switch 2. Rockstar could try to do a cross gen release of GTAV on Switch and Switch 2 to cash in big like the rest of the cross gen releases, but that would also be much more work. The Switch version may be too much of a downgrade however, who knows? Then it would be simple to just put GTAV on Switch 2 like the trilogy on Switch.

Probably Switch 2.   Most Nintendo fans are tired of tests.   EA would be the worst offender for test on last two Nintendo systems.   If GTA trilogy sells 3+ million on Switch and Rockstar still ignores it then it would be on them.   I know Nintendo has inferior hardware but GTAV is two generations back game.   Not that I care since I have it on PC but I'm just wondering why they don't put minimum effort to make money.  It can't be that hard of a port.   There has to be some kind of biased against Nintendo like there is at EA.  I'll give them credit though they could have just ignored the Switch.  So here we go....   Test number one thousand for Switch owners.   At least some developers had the balls this generation to put games on it that neglected Nintendo systems in past like Bethesda.

Well you said it yourself, which is likely a big part of the problem. Nin fans are tired of tests, and devs/pubs are probably tired of inferior hardware, among other things. As long as the hardware situation remains, the 'test method' will likely remain the norm. Unless maybe more handheld/hybrid devices start showing up, especially from competitors. 

GTAV was also the very end of 7th gen and pushed those consoles. My bro's 360 would take off like a PS4 when playing and coincidentally it ended up RROD'ing after a few months of only GTAV sessions. How easily Switch could handle that is questionable, even with downgrades. 

The Nin crowd is also known for buying the 'same old thing' over and over. Kinda like buying Fifa or Madden every single year. It's not always like that exactly but that's a general view. So if you're a 3rd party, why not bring old games to newer Switch devices eventually instead of the existing hardware? On one hand it does suck, on the other, it's certainly better than nothing.