By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition Trailer

curl-6 said:
Radek said:

Why aren't more people talking about this? I thought especially Nintendo fans would be very excited to play these 3 games that were never available on a Nintendo system.

Among Switch owners I know there actually is a fair amount of buzz, just like there was for Skyrim back in 2017, a similar situation where a massively popular game(s) came to Nintendo and a handheld for the first time.

Personally I can't stand GTA but there is definitely excitement among plenty of Switch gamers.

And also the fact that we have seen no footage at all and the game releases in like 4 days

Around the Network

I might bite on this one. I enjoyed these games back in the early 00s.

SKMBlake said:
Vodacixi said:

First, unless we are talking about an outrageously buggy or glitchy vanilla version, you can still play the game without patches without a problem

Well I don't know about your consoles, but when mine sees a patch is available, it usually refuses to launch the game without it.

go offline then.

SKMBlake said:
Vodacixi said:

First, unless we are talking about an outrageously buggy or glitchy vanilla version, you can still play the game without patches without a problem

Well I don't know about your consoles, but when mine sees a patch is available, it usually refuses to launch the game without it.

The Switch asks you if you want to start up the game anyways or if you want to update first.

Cobretti2 said:
Kakadu18 said:

In 20 years these games will be rereleased again, so game preservation of these games doesn't matter that much. If you have it downloaded it doesn't wether the eshop it still running on the Switch in 10+ years or not.

This is the issue with modern consoles in general. They make it impossible to backup anything. The WiiU may have failed as hardware but that let you backup all your save files and patches etc to an external HDD.  Even if I went all digital, the games are tied to your console, so if your console dies so do the games if the online service is shutdown 10 years later and I cannot redownload them onto the new one.

There is a reason why a lot of Nintendo retro games go for big bucks now because Nintendo gamers are collectors first and gamers second. They are proud to own and hold their games. Even here in Aus, when Wii had the most sales in Aus compared to PS3, there was still way more PS3 games in second hand stores than there was Wii games.

The sooner these idiot 3rd party companies realise this concept with Nintendo gamers the higher their sales will be. I have passed on so many games on Switch simply because I had to download one of the games, or half the game etc. Why can't they just use smaller carts and more of them if they haveto spend money on the larger ones? Charge me more, i'll pay it if the full content is on one lol.

Now I have played all those GTA games before on my PC so it isn't like I desperately need to play them again. But you know what it would have been cool to have them for my Switch in my collection

With modern consoles in general?

You can backup all patched games and local saves on an external HDD (or SSD) on Xbox One and Series X|S as well.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
SKMBlake said:

The Switch asks you if you want to start up the game anyways or if you want to update first.

Yep, and then when you put "start the game" it says "you really need to update it first"

SKMBlake said:
Vodacixi said:

Yep, and then when you put "start the game" it says "you really need to update it first"

I'm 99% certain that I've played games that had an update ready to install without actually installing it. Metroid Dread comes to mind. 

But even if I was wrong, in the case I'm concearned about, once the eShop closes up, there won't be an update to download, so that message won't even appear. 

SKM is right, there are cases where games ask you to update and won't launch without it. Turning off the internet after you have been asked also doesn't work, once it knows there's a mandatory update offline won't save you.

I don't know what determines whether an update can be skipped or not, perhaps up to the developer, but it has happened to me in single player games so it's not just something for multiplayer reasons.

Zippy6 said:

SKM is right, there are cases where games ask you to update and won't launch without it. Turning off the internet after you have been asked also doesn't work, once it knows there's a mandatory update offline won't save you.

I don't know what determines whether an update can be skipped or not, perhaps up to the developer, but it has happened to me in single player games so it's not just something for multiplayer reasons.

And there are cases where games let you play them without updating. So, he's not right. And neither was I. But it doesn't matter, because for the case we were discussing (what will happen when the eShop no longer exists) the game/system won't even know there is an update available, so it will let you play anyways. 

Could deleting the cache fix the issue with games that don't want to boot in offline mode when there's a mandatory update available?